• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Death and depression/bipolar

Status
Not open for further replies.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
So...I'll start off saying that this has truly been the worst year ever. My nephew passed away back in April (6 months short of his 21st birthday) due to a drug overdose and it's been downhill since. His mother (my sister) seems to have fallen off of her rocker. She left her husband for another person (who is also bipolar) and together I think they are just on a total binge. I really have no idea what to do for her and it's running my depression into the ground. She is currently living in my grandfathers old house with her new boyfriend. She is supposed to pay taxes on that and hasn't been. I feel bad for her other son because although he is 18 he really shouldn't have to deal with this. (he's currently going to school to be an auto mechanic) I have no idea how to get through to her and truthfully I'm really scared for her. I'm still dealing with the robbery that occurred and have pretty much just been keeping to myself lately because I've lost trust with some of my closest friends.

Thanks for letting me vent.

uba egar320

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2009
WV
So sorry to hear about your family's loss Maureen. I too lost someone very close to me due to an overdose. I have no idea how to get through to someone who is not willing to accept help. It seems like sometimes, people have to hit rock bottom before they will accept a helping hand. But imo, that doesn't mean quit trying. I'm sure that it gives her some comfort knowing that she has people in her life that are pulling for her. I can't imagine the pain a parent would feel after losing a child. Maybe she just needs to run her own course for a while, Idk. As for you, I did not hear about your robbery. Were you hurt? You don't need to go all through the ins and outs of it, as I'm sure you think about it plenty enough as it is. I truly hope you and your family find a way through this terrible time.

I'm so sorry, Maureen. ((hugs)) My sister lost her adult daughter (an elementary school teacher) to a drunk driver several years ago; the loss nearly spit her and her husband apart. I always worry about her: on the outside she puts on her best face; yet her heart and soul is in turmoil.

The best thing you can do is just be there for your sister. It sounds like she's running away from her feelings, maybe not taking her meds correctly, if at all. Just be there. Be supportive without being judgmental. Sisters always share that "in spite of" love, yeah? Encourage her to talk - about anything really, eventually she'll feel safe to open up, and maybe even realize she needs help. Your other nephew is really hurting, too,with the loss of his brother and his mother's behavior. Keep those lines of communication open with him, too.

The robbery that happened to you must make you feel so violated, angry and vulnerable. Just like your sister, things precious to you have been taken away, physically and emotionally. If you're on meds, you might want to think about visiting your doctor to get your RX or adjusted. changed. It might put you in a better position to help your sister, once you've helped yourself.

The holidays will further magnify your and your family's already strained emotions. Please don't try to surpress it - let it all come out. It can be cleansing.

You may be near the bottom, but the journey back up must be done one step at a time. Your friends are here, throwing you a rope.

Sending you and your family warm, healing energy.... RD

316lvm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 5, 2009
southern minnesota
Hi Hon - Been following your story and no, I'm not stalking you. I may be a crotchity old bag, but I only stalk the mailman:)

Being the old bag that I am, no, you can't help your sister, you can't help the situation. The only thing that you can do, and need to do, right now, is take care of yourself. Cause if you don't, there will be no one around when your sister comes to her senses.

I understand how your heart aches and how much you want to help, but being in a depressed state, you have very little energy to give to someone else. It's not being selfish, it's taking care of you. It's one of the hardest things anyone with bi-polar, manic depressives, depressives can ever learn and do.

Talk with you Dr. about doing some med adjustments. See about talking to a therapist to give you some skills to help you with this and to vent.

One skill I learned is ALLOW. I ALLOW myself this day to cry my eyes out, to feel as much as I can. I ALLOW myself the next 10 minutes to laugh. I ALLOW myself to take care of me today.

I am here for you. We are here for you. We are with you in love and spirit. If you want, PM me. Much love and suport sent your way Maureen.

Fran

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Thanks for all the advice and hugs....clearly I need a lot of that this year....I've had three issues with people stealing from me this year and the robbery was the last one (October). Thankfully enough I wasn't home when it happened, but I accidentally left my purse home that day which caused a lot more problems.

My nephews wife lived with me for just over six months and moved in with my great niece because her and my nephew weren't getting along so well and separated (they were married). Apparently she started hanging with my nephew again and was also using illegal substances. I believe he got a copy of my house key from her and decided to come in and take anything he thought he could make a buck off of (this was after she moved out, but I didn't realize until after this happened that the key I gave her wasn't the key I got back...it was made at walmart where she worked and i got mine at loews). (ipod, digital camera, any cash he could find) I only found out it was him because he was stupid enough to take one of my checks to the bank and forge it to try and get cash from my checking account. The teller was able to describe the car and it was his current girlfriend in the drivers seat. It was about a month later that he overdosed. He was exactly 6 months short of his
21st birthday. This killed me because I helped my mom and dad raise my nephews for a year when I was 16....they were 1 and 3. I worked full time, went to school full time, and on my two nights off I watched them until my parents got home. I was up with them at all hours of the morning because my parents did enough and I didn't really mind doing it.

A second time this year I invited some acquaintences over to hang out for a bit and while I was using the bathroom they decided to run off with my change jar and the cash that I had been saving for my great niece. (Apparently one of them took it and hid it while the others watched him steal from me)

The third time I had one of my best friends over and he brought a family member over with him. This person decided that they would take one of my house keys with them so they could come back to my house while I was at work one day and sort through everything I own and take whatever they wanted. This included over 4500 in cash from my lockbox, the spare key to the car I had just purchased a week before (I totalled mine in a car accident in September because someone thought they had a green arrow and they didn't), my Ipod, my football jerseys, all the jewelry that was left in my jewelry box (not much at that point), my credit card (which they activated and signed because I had just recieved the replacement), my coin collection, my expired drivers license, and I'm sure there is more that I haven't found yet or have forgotten. So for the third time this year I have changed my locks and I've pretty much decided that I don't want to have anything to do with having friends anymore. With friends like these...you know the line. I was supposed to go to court (there were two of them and they got caught because they used my credit card in a place where there were cameras) the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, but recieved a continuance in the mail the Friday before. I have to use a club on my car (and I guess I should be thankful that I still have a car) which is a reminder of this mess everyday. I now have to worry about my identity because they used the last 4 of my social to activate my credit card. I'm scheduled to go back to court in January now and have to testify against the two kids (mid 20's)...or should I say addicts...they are using the same crap my nephew was. The brother of my friend decided to hit up all of his brothers friends from what I hear. It's just not cool how intertwined all this seems to be, and on top of all this my dad has been laid off for a year and a half now, and my sister is having her issues. It just seems neverending. I've been trying to take care of me, but it's not been easy.

BCB

ECF Veteran
You have every reason to be depressed and feel awful. You've been getting some bad breaks and for quite a while. I've gotta reiterate what 316lvm said. You can't help your sister's situation right now. You've got to take care of yourself first. It's a really hard thing to do, especially when you're depressed, but that's what needs to have your full attention--doing something nice for yourself. Good luck and hang in there.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Just an update...ugh...so my sisters son got into an accident in her jeep (black ice on the way to school one morning) and my dad drove his 2010 camaro off a curb....he thought it was snow. On top of that the day after christmas I was taking my sister to see her boyfriend at the VA hospital when she had a siezure in my car. Talk about the scariest thing ever...I made her go to the ER and get her head scanned. She told the doc that it was her first siezure, but I found out from her husband that she had 1 before. I can actually say that I look forward to going to court in January, although I wish it had happened in November as scheduled and with my luck (or lack thereof) they will wait until the 10th and continue it again.

I really am tired of floaties in my corn flakes and am wondering if I should just accept the fact that they aren't going away....

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I will not be that unhappy about 2010 fading away. Between the two of us, if it weren't for bad luck, there wouldn't have been any luck at all.:(
On the brighter side, things SEEMED to be going better so all I can say is hang in there and hopefully things will turn for the better for you too.
---------Just keep watching those the floaties in your corn flakes until they turn into a yummy fruit.:D

Updates on your sister and the court thing would be nice---I hope it's all good news.:)

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Another quick update....so to start off the new year...on Monday my sister wrecked her boyfriends motorcycle....and my dad found out about it from her soon to be ex-husband. In his haste to get over there (a block from his house) he tripped on the uneven sidewalk and his cheek paid the price. My dad has been laid off for going on two years now and is currently back in school. He's diabetic and has been taking a new medication for concentration issues. It has been making him unstable on his feet. That and he's been pushing himself too hard. He wants to hear nothing about this and between him and my sister my worries are piling up. I understand that he wants to work (worked for the same company for 30 years before they laid him off...Of course they couldn't have offered him a nice retirement package at 57). This week I found a small lump on my neck (feels like a calcium deposit) and now I have to setup a dr. appointment to get it looked at (no insurance). I have to go to court next tuesday unless they put up another continuance on me and look at the douschebags that robbed my house....UGH...

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Well, my, the New Year isn't going much better, is it?
I wish I had more to say than "hang in there girl!"
Was your sister hurt?
I imagine you are really worried about your dad and it stinks that he wasn't given some kind of retirement, and 57 is a bad age to be looking for a job, especially coming out of a recession (depression). Triple hard if he has health problems!!!
I sure hope things take a positive turn for him.

Let us know what the lump is and I hope the douschebags get more than a slap on the hand and probation.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
Nope...and the saga continues...
So I had to help move my youngest nephew out of his mothers house yesterday. Tempers flared and basically he was done dealing with it. I moved him over to his dad's apartment. Unfortunately my sister lost her medical benefits when she and her boyfriend lost their jobs (worked at the same place her husband did and they were laid off) and she can't afford her medication. We checked at Walmart the other day and for 4 of her perscriptions (only about half of them) it was over a thousand dollars. I'm sure that is why she and her son went at it yesterday and unfortunately there isn't much I can do for her. I'm at the point where it feels like my family is crumbling and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it.

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
UPDATE:

So I saw that this thread was stickied...and have been still having a rough time....

I ended up falling into a relationship earlier this year and things have been decent....unfortunately at the end of September my other nephew passed away. I've been feeling down and found that grieving is impossible....I finally had started not crying every day about a month before this happened. I've been feeling really depressed and my emotions have started to shut down again. I've been off my antidepressants for several years and am seriously considering going back on them to see if I can get out of this funk.

I haven't been able to express myself lately and it's really screwing with my relationship with my boyfriend. He needs me to open up to him and I just can't seem to do it. We had a fight over the weekend and although he reached out to talk I'm at the point that I'm unsure if I can do this right now. I've never been the best at expressing my feelings to other people and any advice would be appreciated.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Well you did good coming here! In fact keep coming and keeping posting. If not here then do it in the Private area.
THE MORE YOU EXPRESS YOUR FEELING, THE EASIER IT WILL BE TO TALK ABOUT THEM.

If you can't seem to put it all into words, explain that to the BF and let him read what you post.
And if things don't improve soon, please go see your doctor.

(((hugs)))

maureengill

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Trainer PA
www.freedomsmokeusa.com
I'm for sure going to call my doctor and schedule an appointment to get back on my meds....it just irks the sh** out of me that I have to pay 80 bucks for a visit to get a medication that costs less than 80 bucks for the year supply....

I've been off of my meds for years now, and only took them when I started feeling like I really needed them....fortunately they worked like that for me...I could tell within 20 minutes of taking them the first time....

I guess I'm going to give in and go to the doctor...I'm definitely not a fan of the way I'm starting to feel again....

We talked a little last night, but I just couldn't explain the fact that in our fight...he told me I wasn't worthy...I did tell him that I actually thought that two weeks before he said it...of course he retracted the statement....

I just really need to open up to him and stop being such a HARD .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread