FDA Did my two Senator's really hear my concerns ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
Today, I called both of my Senators (Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson) along with my Representative (Tom Graves). This was my second time to call each of their offices in order to voice my concerns over this deeming proposal (My first calls were shortly after the initial reports- I believe late April). I called my Senators offices first, and the first receptionist listened to me, and was very polite and said she would pass along the comments. The other Senator's office kind of cut me off, and ended with the same dialogue of I'll pass along the comments. When I told her that I wasn't quiet finished with my point, she said I would be heard, but they take a lot of calls. Okay, that may be true, so I decided to end it the conversation politely. I then called my Representative's office, and pretty much the same except they wanted my address. I gave it to him, and asked if he knew why the Senators offices didn't take my address. Did this mean I wasn't taken seriously (Seems like a request for an address makes it like the Representative would respond and hear my concerns)? Sorry-but before these proposed legislation, I have never placed phone calls to my Senators/Representatives. I have e-mailed them before on other topics, and received form letters. I thought calling may give a bit more weight to the topic. Anyone else have a similar experience or stories ?

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Your Senators likely heard your concerns, not sure they understood them. vaping has been expanding very quickly in the past couple years and our political class isn't up to speed. That along with the fact that it's a very small issue compared to what they deal with daily, makes it hard to be heard.

All we can do it continue contacting them and deluging them with information, and hope it gets through their thick skulls....:2cool:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
I then called my Representative's office, and pretty much the same except they wanted my address. I gave it to him, and asked if he knew why the Senators offices didn't take my address. Did this mean I wasn't taken seriously (Seems like a request for an address makes it like the Representative would respond and hear my concerns)?

Verifying your address was probably primarily for making sure that you were calling for the correct Congressman who represents the district you live in..

Thanks for your calls & action! :thumb:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
When I interned and then worked for a US Senator back in the day, I would field calls, letters and e-mails from time to time. Those of us who worked for the senator knew what his interests, platform, opinions on certain subjects, stances etc. were, so we would answer questions and formulate responses based on how we knew the senator would reply and how he would think on certain issues. Those questions, ideas and issues which we thought would interest the senator, we would take notes on and pass along the information to the senator- whether they were from calls, letters or e-mails. Letters actually got passed along more than any other form of communication. The vast majority would get a form letter response. Sometimes we would champion causes we were interested in based on calls, letters or e-mails, research the subject and bring the ideas to the senator... Most things in Washington get done through staffers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread