Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I didn’t ask the question very clearly. Vapefly sells mesh in a pack of 15.
Authentic Vapefly Replacement SS316 Mesh Coil for Mesh Plus RDA / RDTA
I was asking if you tried this mesh in the Themis. Which I think the answer is no. If anyone else has or heard of someone who has. Just wondering if it would work.

I tried them in the mesh Themis, and didn’t care for it in wattage mode. No matter how I wicked it, I was getting hot spots. It could be due to the fact that the sheets are just a hair wider than will comfortably fit into the slots in the Themis. They will fit, but it requires a lot of coaxing, which will (at least for me) put some kinks into the sheet.

But, when in TC, they work much better. I’ve not had the best of luck with SS mesh and TC, but these are much better behaved.

I’ll probably use them more in my mesh RDAs than the Themis since there’s more flexibility in positioning and wicking.

On a semi-related note, tried a single coil build with Ni80 ribbon wire in the mesh Themis. Very happy with the results. Did a 7 wrap 4mm diamter using 0.3x0.8mm Ni80 ribbon. Came to 0.48 ohms. The plates grip the ribbon wire very well, and the ribbon is much more forgiving than mesh with regard to wicking. Excellent flavor.

Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I tried them in the mesh Themis, and didn’t care for it in wattage mode. No matter how I wicked it, I was getting hot spots. It could be due to the fact that the sheets are just a hair wider than will comfortably fit into the slots in the Themis. They will fit, but it requires a lot of coaxing, which will (at least for me) put some kinks into the sheet.

But, when in TC, they work much better. I’ve not had the best of luck with SS mesh and TC, but these are much better behaved.

I’ll probably use them more in my mesh RDAs than the Themis since there’s more flexibility in positioning and wicking.

On a semi-related note, tried a single coil build with Ni80 ribbon wire in the mesh Themis. Very happy with the results. Did a 7 wrap 4mm diamter using 0.3x0.8mm Ni80 ribbon. Came to 0.48 ohms. The plates grip the ribbon wire very well, and the ribbon is much more forgiving than mesh with regard to wicking. Excellent flavor.
Thanks for the info. I never thought of using ribbon, that makes total sense. My Themis is still somewhere between China and US but I’ll have to try a ribbon build when I do get it.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Hey @hazozita or @Steve W Pedersen, I just got my Themis that I won in the giveaway and they sent a sample one without the mesh. So I have a spool of kanthal and ss coming but I have a question. I was gonna use the fold in half method that reviewer did but now I cant as I don’t know what size comes with the tank. So can one of you guys or both tell me the length of mesh you use on your tank? Inches is preferred but I’ll take what I can get. I just want an idea of how much mesh to use. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Hey @hazozita or @Steve W Pedersen, I just got my Themis that I won in the giveaway and they sent a sample one without the mesh. So I have a spool of kanthal and ss coming but I have a question. I was gonna use the fold in half method that reviewer did but now I cant as I don’t know what size comes with the tank. So can one of you guys or both tell me the length of mesh you use on your tank? Inches is preferred but I’ll take what I can get. I just want an idea of how much mesh to use. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

The mesh that comes with the tank is 40 mm long (1.57 inches). I used the fold in half method as well -- worked pretty good, although I'm finding I like the tank better with a single coil Ni80 ribbon wire coil.

(Edited to correct the measurement -- forgot to zero out the calipers)

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The mesh that comes with the tank is 40 mm long (1.57 inches). I used the fold in half method as well -- worked pretty good, although I'm finding I like the tank better with a single coil Ni80 ribbon wire coil.

(Edited to correct the measurement -- forgot to zero out the calipers)
Ok so about 3/4” length and the width I can figure. That’s kind of silly that they made the mesh too wide. Is it that their other tanks need 10mm? Well either way thank you for the information. Can’t wait to try this tank out. Hopefully they will sell just the deck soon so I can have the option for dual coils. It’s a solid tank, very well put together so it would be nice to have a variety of ways to build it.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Ok so about 3/4” length and the width I can figure. That’s kind of silly that they made the mesh too wide. Is it that their other tanks need 10mm? Well either way thank you for the information. Can’t wait to try this tank out. Hopefully they will sell just the deck soon so I can have the option for dual coils. It’s a solid tank, very well put together so it would be nice to have a variety of ways to build it.

The Vandy Vape mesh spools work as-is with the Vandy Vape mesh attys. Seems Digiflavor wanted to be different from them for their mesh attys.

+1 on having different decks. Would be nice to have more options without having to buy a second complete tank.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
The Vandy Vape mesh spools work as-is with the Vandy Vape mesh attys. Seems Digiflavor wanted to be different from them for their mesh attys.

+1 on having different decks. Would be nice to have more options without having to buy a second complete tank.
I thought Digiflavor and Vandy Vape were brother & sister so I figured they’d keep them a standard size. I didn’t see any Digiflavor mesh spools but maybe I didn’t look hard enough. Regardless thanks for the information you’ve provided me up to this point. I still have to get some ribbon wire to try a big single coil in the Themis.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I haven't seen spools from Digiflavor. Where did you find them?
Digiflavor Mesh Wire Spools - 5 Feet
Elementvape and a few other places. Hey I was just thinking people complain that you need so much cotton when you build the mesh up high enough to hit the airflow square. Have you tried one piece of mesh under the wicking and your regular piece you’ve always used. This would give you options on how much wicking you use depending on the space between the two pieces of mesh. Did I just blow your minds?!?!?!? I think that was the missing link! Seems like it would solve the way too much cotton problem and the coil being too low it wouldn’t give good flavor problem all in one swoop. BOOM BABY!

Reactions: hazozita
Thanks to all previous geekvape attys like goliath/griffin/ammit i bought Zeus, cos all previous leak where Ammit was the most ......edly annoying as it sips juice/condensate no matter what buils you have(after 3-5refill and you have to clean/revic to avoid leaking).... So yea, Zeus was a pain to make it work at first as ive always vaped dual coils and Zeus just didnt work. So after much time i manage to wick it as it needed so overall its decent atty. Still - you have spitbacks after reffil(closing air holes) if your cotton ammount inst exactly as needed and couldnt call it leakproof as you sometimes will get a leakage from airports when you turn it over and condensate/juice gathers alor inside driptip and between cap/atty.

But on topic - owners of Themis and Zeus! Is Themis everything Zeus is + better flavour? As i like to vape lower ohms, zeus doesnt work very good for me as it feels weak...or when you ramp up power, you start to get burnt taste and for me best working coils is 23-24awg on Zeus. Kinda a bit regret buying Zeus after ive seen Themis out there(prolly few days after ive got Zeus, found out theres a dual coil version out there)

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I got my kanthal mesh yesterday and had my mesh Themis sans mesh since last week. Haven’t had time to try it yet but tomorrow I will. So your probably asking yourself “If stabber has time to post here, doesn’t he have time to try the Themis?”
To that I say “Get outta my head!!” And “mind your own damn business!” So I’ll post my experience once I give her the ole razzmatazz. I’ve watched it being built on YouTube so I think I got a good idea how to run her. Hopefully I love it because it seems so simple to build, I want to love it. Wish me luck and I’ll see y’all soon because I got to go, you know because I’m busy and what not.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Fidola13

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Alright built the Themis today. It wasn’t as easy as I thought but still not bad getting the mesh clamped in and wicked. First try I didn’t thin the tails and if I took a couple consecutive hits I’d start to get dry ones. Opened it back up and scissored the tails up like a bad haircut so it would wick quicker. Being a top airflow, leaking isnt really a concern. After trimming the tails I haven’t had any dry hits. Even tried chain toking and it keep up. Flavor is good and the tank looks nice and is built solid. Removing the deck for building is somewhat cumbersome. It’s a bit awkward with the ring separating from the deck. It should be one piece but not a big deal. Used kanthal mesh and I’m vaping it at 44.5 watts and getting a nice warm vape. I have the airflow barely open and getting a nice restrictive pull just like I like it. Happy so far,
I’ve got some ss mesh coming and will report back when I try that out. Happy with this tank and I hope other companies build tanks that use mesh. With some more innovation I think mesh could be a serious contender with coils. Mesh has serious potential, with the right design it can be super easy to build and has the surface area to give you an amazing flavorful vape. Hopefully companies continue to innovate with mesh.

Last edited:

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I'm glad you're enjoying the mesh deck as much as I am it's pretty much pure awesome sauce.
Absolutely, the awesomist sauce. Got some driptips in today along with my ss mesh. I’m gonna ride this kanthal mesh build until the wheels fall off before I try some ss mesh. Day 2 and I’m still getting nice clean tasty vapor. No troubles at all. I’m a little surprised that there isn’t more buzz about it. Not a lot of information about the Themis so I guess it’s up to @Steve W Pedersen, @hazozita, and me to inform the community on what they’re missing out on.

Reactions: hazozita

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
I think part of the issue is that a lot of the previous mesh tanks were overly fiddly and dry hit's were common and it left a kinda scar on the community. As I am quite new I did not have such negitave pre conceptions about mesh.
The themis mesh tank for me is just amazingly good.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Absolutely, the awesomist sauce. Got some driptips in today along with my ss mesh. I’m gonna ride this kanthal mesh build until the wheels fall off before I try some ss mesh. Day 2 and I’m still getting nice clean tasty vapor. No troubles at all. I’m a little surprised that there isn’t more buzz about it. Not a lot of information about the Themis so I guess it’s up to @Steve W Pedersen, @hazozita, and me to inform the community on what they’re missing out on.

There are some YT reviews of the Themis, but they often center on just the coil deck option. It’s not surprising since most reviewers don’t want to (or can’t) put in the time to experiment and tweak things.

I think the Themis is one of the easiest mesh builds I’ve come across yet (have used the VV Mesh RDA, the MeshPro, the Ceto and a Taifun BT clone and enjoyed all of them) but @Steve W Pedersen makes a good point re: the reputation of mesh. Granted, when a mesh build goes bad it can be a truly horrible vape, but when done right, it’s excellent. Just takes a bit of time and experimentation.

The only reviewer I’ve come across that has really jumped into mesh and made some great tutorials is the Vaping Pharaoh. He even has a couple of videos where he’s adapting mesh strips to work in a conventional RDA.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madstabber

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Still getting great flavor from my Themis. I put in a new juice I mixed but hadn’t tried before. Today I put some in my crown with a new coil and was surprised I didn’t like it as much. The mesh is really giving me better flavor which I didn’t expect because the crown is a really good tank that always gives me great flavor and vapor. The mesh has way more surface area which is making the difference I think. It doesn’t taste bad in the crown the Themis just gives me much fuller flavor. I think the key to getting the mesh to work is you have to use much less wicking in the juice wells than you would think. Almost daring it to leak. That way it always has plenty of juice thus no dry hits. If I used this little wicking on a bottom airflow RTA it would leak like a sieve. What I did was trimmed the wick from the bottom that way the top of my wick that is in contact with the mesh would get the juice. I hope that made sense and helps someone to enjoy this tank as much as myself and others have. If you try packing as much wick in the wells as you would with a standard bottom airflow RTA you’re gonna get a bad vape.

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Well I did somthing new with my Themis today.
Started getting a little burnt taste so I removed the wick and dry burned the mesh burn baby burn then rinced it off with water. mesh was like new. I also decided to try wicking this with rayon so far this has been my only sucess with rayon love love love the nutral flavor profile . I can taste the juice better and with out any cotton taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread