Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Well I did somthing new with my Themis today.
Started getting a little burnt taste so I removed the wick and dry burned the mesh burn baby burn then rinced it off with water. mesh was like new. I also decided to try wicking this with rayon so far this has been my only sucess with rayon love love love the nutral flavor profile . I can taste the juice better and with out any cotton taste.
I’m still loving my Themis and I am on my original build. It’s been around 10-11 days I believe and no leaks nor any reduction of flavor or vapor. This tank is a solid performer and I’m gonna give it another five or six days and I’ll try some ss mesh. I’m interested in trying tc mode with the mesh. The kanthal has been great so to be clear I’m not having any problems I just want to try the ss mesh just for something to do.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I finally got my non-mesh Themis after a 3 month wait (bought during pre-sale and took FOREVER after that to arrive) and much like the bloody Zeus, the topfill seal leaks like a sieve. Started tasting my juice shortly after my second toot, rather than vaping it, and sure enough, took the topfill off and the entire top of the tank, and the seal was soaked. Replaced seal, same deal.

Even worse, when i then put it on a stand upside down to take it apart to check the build to make sure it wasnt a wicking leak, within minutes the damn thing dumped its guts all over the place. By the way nothing wrong with the build, rayon stuffed in solidly and not unseated in cutouts, so not a wicking leak

How is that ive bought two "leakproof" (and highly trumpeted as such( tanks in a row and theyve been the WORST leaking tanks ive ever bought? That topfill seal is the common denominator, and it needs to seal waaaay better than it does. It *may* not be an issue for anyone running the airflow wide open as it prolly doesnt expose the flaw, due to the lower pressure, but for anyone running it with the airflow backed off, ymmv

So after waiting for 3 months for the bloody thing, and being told it fixed all the issues of the Zeus, its going back.....

Back to me ever relaible and never leaked Lemo 2's and Serpent SMM

Stop pumping out crap every 3 weeks china and test your product with real people, instead of looking at a pic on CAD and believing that just because the thing looks like it wont leak and the seals fit on the screen....

Tired of this ........

Wont be rolling the dice on a 3rd time on anything using that seal after 2 duds....

Quality control, in general China, try it...

Steve W Pedersen

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2011
bakersfield,ca
Wow what a bummer, I have both tanks mesh and duel coil and the top seals on both have given me zero issue. just for grins I filled my duel coil unit to the brim with pure vg and then turned it upside down. I will keep an eye on it but not going to sweat it if it does leak (paper towl under it) and I am going to crash just got off work. Will see what happens when I wake up.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I finally switched out my first kanthal mesh build after 60mls of juice. I tried using the ss mesh for my second build and it’s working fine in power mode. Tc mode causes a burst of power out the gate making tc a no go with the ss mesh. I tried different tcr’s between 90-110 with little improvement. Not sure why tc don’t work but with power it’s fine so I’ll stick with this build for awhile see how she goes. After my initial build I had to pop the deck out to trim the tails to prevent dry hits. It hard to get used to such little tails cause in a bottom airflow it would be leaking. With the tails trimmed no dry hits and all is well. I’ve been really happy with the mesh Themis and I appreciate the ease of building and wicking over a standard coil RTA.

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Inverted themis report. short answer no leaking at all.
Man I am so sorry that your having issues, wish I could suggest somthing but I just dunno what to tell ya.

No worries, im glad yours (and others) arent like mine :)

But yeah 2 tanks with exactly the same sealing system in a row with the same issue

Needless to say im bypssing the new Vapefly Horus RTA, it looks like its using the same seal system too, though its screw down, rather than twist and lift off....

I put in an RMA for the Themis and ordered an OBS Crius II (not a fan of the look of the OBS engine tanks, that top fill hump does not appeal, despite the way people recommend them) to end the dodgy seal madness, and to be honest im a bit over most current tanks wire trapping systems that assume youre using fricking fat clapton wire - trying trapping a simple single 26g coil leg in most of them (the SMM is at least a little forgiving on this, though still not a picnic), meanwhile im back to my Lemo 2's and Serpent SMM...

Im reserving my rant on the bonkers colours of most mods these days for another day, uuurggh rainbow should die a death especially. Im a bloke, i just want a plain box, no accents, designs on the sides or logos on it, in black or silver, China, you can keep your multitude of bonkers coloured mods for future landfill....

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
I’m just saying have you checked that the air flow ring sits fush because there is a small notch that prevents the cup to properly close.

Cheers, and yup, checked when i first had the issue, i know exactly what you mean, the airflow ring notch is very subtle on this tank...hey at least i got to try seal replacement with the spare (something from memory the Zeus didnt come with to even try)

The only upside ive found :)

Reactions: vexx

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
Decided to take a peek at what's been new in the scene and noticed mesh Themis = perfection from the looks of it, so couldn't resist ordering one for $25. At very long last we have a bloody atty that's actually effortless to service and maintain, plus I'll get to use my 500 mesh from good old Genny days.

• Agree
Reactions: Myk

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
It really goes by fast, I think if many of the new vapers (starting last year or two) had to start where we did they would laugh and walk away. Punching crappy Boge cartos, virtually everything was MTL only it wasn’t called MTL because it’s all that existed. Juice heavily PG biased or all PG, I could barely see my vapor... much less were there clouds. I used to stay with more high end/non-China stuff, Provari and Svoemesto Kayfuns and the like. Nowadays the overall quality level is so high we can pick up these tanks for $25-30 or even less that have an astounding level of engineering into them, it really is amazing. Like 9 watts on a ProVari with AW 18350 or 18490 and we were smitten. Overall e-juice quality has gone up too, although it costs more these days on average. That is really a run down memory lane.

Completely agree on top airflow, the improvements to actual day to day usage is huge for me too. It really makes it so that you hardly even have to think about it after you build it. Whatever possible performance it may give up compared to my bottom airflow tanks, if any, I couldn’t care less.

And I thoroughly agree here.

SkvLTD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
MD
skvoraltdphoto.com
I have no interest in mesh right now. Am I missing something good by not trying it? :unsure:

An even heat distribution, but namely a simple and INEXPENSIVE (time being cost factor too) way to change your heating element with virtually no tools aside from a screwdriver and scissors.

If we ever get to NR mesh/wire wicks over R heating mesh piece, then there will be virtually 0 maintenance aside from dry burning gunk off.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I wonder, did any of you know that there is another mesh atty, the Vandy Vape Mesh 24? This one is a vertical coil instead of an horizontal. I have both the Temis and the Mesh 24 on the way. BTW, I've been using the Ceto in BF mode for two months and it's wonderful. I wonder, have any of you tried mesh on an RDA? How does it compare to an RTA?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I wonder, did any of you know that there is another mesh atty, the Vandy Vape Mesh 24? This one is a vertical coil instead of an horizontal. I have both the Temis and the Mesh 24 on the way. BTW, I've been using the Ceto in BF mode for two months and it's wonderful. I wonder, have any of you tried mesh on an RDA? How does it compare to an RTA?

An issue for the Vandy I've decided might be a problem since watching videos and now building on Themis is an angled mesh is an uneven burning mesh. The trick I saw with the Vandy to avoid dry hits is to angle the mesh.

They didn't explain how their trick avoids burning, I suspect it's thicker wick at top to compensate for the feed coming from only one side of a coil. The problem I see is their top is also lower Ω.
I originally wanted the vertical, now I'm thinking horizontal deck clamps are a better concept for rebuilding.

I have not tried an RDA but I'm glad you didn't post before I ordered yesterday or I would've spent more money. I do want to try a Mesh RDA by Vandy for squonking.

TwistedThrottle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2014
Washington
I do want to try a Mesh RDA by Vandy for squonking
Ive got the vandy vape mesh RDA on my squonker and its good. Avoid the dry hits by using it in TC. I also re squonk after every draw. For me, the mesh gets gunked up before the cotton goes bad so rewicking often helps, but with the amount of cotton used for one mesh build, I can get 4 or 5 wicks for coils and the coils dont gunk up as fast. I just got rayon for the first time and have it wicked in a normal coil in a pulse. I havnt used rayon in mesh yet, but if it works with mesh, my lifetime supply of rayon just turned into a years supply.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Ive got the vandy vape mesh RDA on my squonker and its good. Avoid the dry hits by using it in TC. I also re squonk after every draw. For me, the mesh gets gunked up before the cotton goes bad so rewicking often helps, but with the amount of cotton used for one mesh build, I can get 4 or 5 wicks for coils and the coils dont gunk up as fast. I just got rayon for the first time and have it wicked in a normal coil in a pulse. I havnt used rayon in mesh yet, but if it works with mesh, my lifetime supply of rayon just turned into a years supply.

:lol: Yes there could be a lifetime to my bag of cotton balls now.
I've had the mesh gunking problem twice. Once was a feed issue. Once was a chocolate flavor. Both times it was just done producing flavor and vapor. Before the darker chocolate flavor put a stop to it I had quite a few tanks through it. And I don't think dry burning alone will help with the fine mesh, it took my ultrasonic to get the ash out.
Thanks for the report on the Vandy. I've got some Vapefly stamped mesh on order. Hopefully it takes care of the gunking. My squonker gets pretty well gunked before I deal with it.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Trying the Vapefly stamped mesh/slot coil. I had some fears of it being hotspot city burning it in, there were uneven glows all over that thing besides the top plate, but right off it doesn't seem bad in TC. It didn't change ohms burning it in like the screen does so probably no need to burn in for TC other than to clean it.
I even moved it from TCR 088 to SS on my Legend.
I'm trying a trick leaving the bottom of the tank instead of refilling to help but I'm getting menthol instead of just mint from my high mint/menthol liquid that took about 3 tanks to get enough menthol soaking the wick with the screen to start tasting it.

It's a tight fit on the Themis deck but can be squeezed in without bending/cutting. .18Ω for the Vandy SS cut to fit tight. .21Ω for the stock SS. .23Ω for the Vapefly.

Now to see how many tanks it takes to gunk it.

Reactions: madstabber

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
Trying the Vapefly stamped mesh/slot coil. I had some fears of it being hotspot city burning it in, there were uneven glows all over that thing besides the top plate, but right off it doesn't seem bad in TC. It didn't change ohms burning it in like the screen does so probably no need to burn in for TC other than to clean it.
I even moved it from TCR 088 to SS on my Legend.
I'm trying a trick leaving the bottom of the tank instead of refilling to help but I'm getting menthol instead of just mint from my high mint/menthol liquid that took about 3 tanks to get enough menthol soaking the wick with the screen to start tasting it.

It's a tight fit on the Themis deck but can be squeezed in without bending/cutting. .18Ω for the Vandy SS cut to fit tight. .21Ω for the stock SS. .23Ω for the Vapefly.

Now to see how many tanks it takes to gunk it.
The problem is not how long to gunk it but to clean its gunk.
It is difficult to clean the mesh wire once it collects gunk. Yes, it is hard to remove the gunk even with dry burn method.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread