Dip a toe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
Hi all,
Thinking abt ordering myself a first RTA this sale season... questions!

1:: is it reasonable to never make own wire? as in are pre-wrapped, measured, etc. coils ready for deck and cotton (minus the snip snip) easily available? can i stick to Kanthal and normal Wattage mode?
and are we at a point where one can carry RTA thru day, expect no leaks and easy filling?

I know it might be natural progression bring me here, but the push really was leaking. My MTL stock coil is fine, but I don't want to keep buying subohm tank+stock coils only to realise it's going to leak unexpectedly. Esp. since my latest disappointment came from the ever so highly recommended UWell... it dumps and gurgles.

2. if the first answers are yes::::what should i get that's eay to set up, doesn't leak, easy to fill, can be adjusted toward RDL, preferrably comes with ready kanthal coils?

i've seen a couple of reviews, and the Bulk seemed reasonable, only maybe too big?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
1::Yes pre-wrapped coils of known resistance are available. Yes
FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

The main issue with premade coils is you have no control over their quality or performance.

2. I cannot recommend a tank, though I'm sure others will come along soon you can.
Some RTAs are more prone to leaking than others. But generally leaking is down to wicking technique, which may be specific to that particular RTA.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Kanthal and Nichrome are my prefered materials for coils and I don't bother myself with TC.

Prewrapped coils or wires are cheap enough, so I don't wrap my own exotic wires anymore. Coilology for example offers good coils and wires for a fair price.
E-XY offers a nice variety as well and I never had any issues with them either.

Organic Cotton Puff pads for about 9€ offer a clean taste, are easy to handle and will provide enough wicking material for a very long time.

There are a few very good top airflow RTAs where leaking is a non-issue.
They may gurgle after refilling, but if you get the wicking right, even that shouldn't pose a problem anymore.
For DL you might take a look at the Juggerknot Mini (Ulton clone is excellent!) or the Zeus X.
For MTL the OBS Engine MTL seems decent, but I'm no MTL-vaper, so take that suggestion with a grain of salt.

If you don't like top airflow, there's the RDTA option. They're not as leakproof as top air RTAs, but for a beginner still way easier to handle than any bottom air RTA. Due to that fact that the coils sit on top of the tank, RDTAs are more or less gurgle proof however, and the flavor is better than on most RTAs out there.
The Brunhilde is one of the best in this category and it is available in a DL as well as in a MTL version.

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
I'm thinking i'm going to wait on it till next big sale. i wanted to use the 40% off from Vaporider, but can'r reach the 200dollar requirement for that offer. wanted to get a Gen kit with the Skrr-s, hoping it's better on the leaking than Nunchaku plus coils for them both and a RTA... they don't have Nunch. UN2 or QF coils and none of the DL RTAs you've recommended.
At the 15procent off at FT i'll just get coils for my Zlide and Nunchaku and wait for a better sale to get the Gen. Just afraid it'd be sold out by then.

But research still on!
I watched reviews on Zues X and for Wotofo Profile Unity RTA (because it's the decent looking one i found on vaporider) abt to see for Juggerknot... they look easy enough. Though i am tempted to find something with a less subtle placement of cotton, there was something i saw, prbbly the Kelpie where the chamber placement is enough to drape the cotton down.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I'm fairly new to rebuildables (I do loose MTL and restricted DL) and I love being free from constantly stocking up on drop-in coils BUT I don't trust them for carry around. I still use my small MTL tank for that (Nautilus X) It doesn't leak, but coils are getting harder to find. You might consider just using your Zlide for carry around. A small simple mod would also be nice. Besides leaking, I also don't want to risk my good mod for carry around (and have a RTA leak all over it) I'm sure there are some good RTAs that might not leak but wicking is so critical to preventing that. Where are you located? There are many clearance sales if you look around (use Vapecrawler search)

• Informative
Reactions: virm

virm

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 27, 2019
I'm fairly new to rebuildables (I do loose MTL and restricted DL) and I love being free from constantly stocking up on drop-in coils BUT I don't trust them for carry around. I still use my small MTL tank for that (Nautilus X) It doesn't leak, but coils are getting harder to find. You might consider just using your Zlide for carry around. A small simple mod would also be nice. Besides leaking, I also don't want to risk my good mod for carry around (and have a RTA leak all over it) I'm sure there are some good RTAs that might not leak but wicking is so critical to preventing that. Where are you located? There are many clearance sales if you look around (use Vapecrawler search)

Germany. Yes, i mostly carry around the zlide. but if i happen to walk a ways, hang out with someone or sit outside during the day i'd rather have something to DL (well, not really DL, i restrict it too, the old Cleito with K4 or the Nunchaku 2 tank-like... not very airy and at 50ish wattages). Wouldve been fine with the stock subohms_ but they leak too... might as well not keep buying coils for them i figured,,, but if RTAs or RDTAs ahven't evolved beyond leaking yet____

This is frustrating.

• Winner
Reactions: gpjoe

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
but if RTAs or RDTAs ahven't evolved beyond leaking yet_
I didn't mean it like that. Just that they are tricky to get the wick just right. Once you master that, you can do it the same every time so it gets easier. Higher VG juice helps. I would suggest carrying a small mod with the Zlide and a better mod and RTA (when you are somewhere settled in) You can try some fancy coils but even a simple clapton is a great choice (or fused clapton... similar with two wires inside) They have more surface area (that's always good) but really fancy coils have longer "ramp up time" (take longer to heat up so need more power) and even worse, take longer to cool down. Fun to play with, but not really as practical. Hey, I pretend I know what I'm talking about... not really (just learning) but do read a lot of posts here on ECF. Steam engine is helpful but don't go by the watts it suggests... generally too high (always work your way up in steps) Forum is slow today (Thanksgiving) so just passing time till others (with more experience) jump in ;)

• Informative

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Watch several videos... they may not all agree on best way to build an RTA (or if they even like it) One that I got, one guy couldn't stop saying how he loves it, another guy absolutely hates it. Good thing I watched many vids and read so much before getting it... might have hated it without doing some research first. If you order one, while you wait, do your homework. Start with simple coils and lower watts, then "push it" to see what it can do. You have to at least try one (get your feet wet... I mean "dip your toe")

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi all,
    Thinking abt ordering myself a first RTA this sale season... questions!

1:: is it reasonable to never make own wire? as in are pre-wrapped, measured, etc. coils ready for deck and cotton (minus the snip snip) easily available? can i stick to Kanthal and normal Wattage mode?
    and are we at a point where one can carry RTA thru day, expect no leaks and easy filling?

I know it might be natural progression bring me here, but the push really was leaking. My MTL stock coil is fine, but I don't want to keep buying subohm tank+stock coils only to realise it's going to leak unexpectedly. Esp. since my latest disappointment came from the ever so highly recommended UWell... it dumps and gurgles.

2. if the first answers are yes::::what should i get that's eay to set up, doesn't leak, easy to fill, can be adjusted toward RDL, preferrably comes with ready kanthal coils?

i've seen a couple of reviews, and the Bulk seemed reasonable, only maybe too big?

As others have said - direct lung top air RTAs would be ideal for what you are after.

Have a read through this awesome resource:
    Top air RTAs

And the majority of top air RTAs are fine for pocket carry. Just shut off the airflow and away you go :thumb:

You can buy precoiled wire at most places, you just need to know the coil id in mm of what you need. In general, a 3mm coil would work in most RTAs.

You can also get 'shoelace' cotton. This comes in a 3mm wad, with a tapered end. Easy Peasy :D

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    @vaper1960 thank you for the vape crawler, i must've come across a reference to it before, but had no idea. ordered stuff from cigabuy. going to make sure i gotta wroking stock setup and start shopping for RTA. Those *** back in my first thread were right... seriously i think someone even said they'd give me less than 2 months before you want to build... got to update that gang sometime soon.

I do reckon realtime learners offer valuable advice actually, nicely complements experts. not just more relateable, when experts have forgotten or are not uptodate (because the scene's shifted since they were beginning) on what a beginner's experience/concern is; but also often give nice summaries and point out the specific points they'd recently picked up that effected them most.

i'll keep checking this thread for tips on easy and well-designed rtas and watch a couple of videos (or more, it's becoming an addiction on its own) for each recommendation.

virm

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 27, 2019
    As others have said - direct lung top air RTAs would be ideal for what you are after.

Have a read through this awesome resource:
    Top air RTAs

And the majority of top air RTAs are fine for pocket carry. Just shut off the airflow and away you go :thumb:

You can buy precoiled wire at most places, you just need to know the coil id in mm of what you need. In general, a 3mm coil would work in most RTAs.

You can also get 'shoelace' cotton. This comes in a 3mm wad, with a tapered end. Easy Peasy :D
    that's a nice list!
    wouldn't Zues Dual be older than X? if it's just the driptip, one can change that right?

Reactions: AngeNZ

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I do reckon realtime learners offer valuable advice actually, nicely complements experts. not just more relateable, when experts have forgotten or are not uptodate (because the scene's shifted since they were beginning) on what a beginner's experience/concern is; but also often give nice summaries and point out the specific points they'd recently picked up that effected them most.
    Good observation! I'm still in the learning phase, and there are plenty of "experts" here... together we can offer many points of view ;)
    I can see you are already hooked... jump right in (but be warned... it's a deep "rabbit hole")
    What flavors do you like?

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Brunhilde RTA, two coils or just the one coil with the Brunhilde MTL RTA.
    Both top airflow and leak free;)
    image.jpeg

Take your pick!!
    You Have A Winner:D

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Sure. I've been using this brand of Coils for Years. $2.00 Authentic MKWS 316 Stainless Steel Pre-Coiled Wires for RBA Atomizers (50-Pack) - 26 AWG / 0.4mm dia. / 0.32ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

In fact, I don't think I have wrapped wrapped a Coil in over a Year. And that was just because I was Bored and I wanted to do something Instead of what I should have been doing.

Kanthal is meant to be used in Wattage Mode. Same as NiChrome.
    Stainless Steel can be used in either Wattage or TC Mode.
    Nickel (like Ni200) should Only be used in TC Mode.

I use Muji Pad Cotton for wicking. I like to be able to cut the Width of the strip I use depending on what I am Putting it In. But I have tried these Pre-Twisted Wicks and they work fine.

$2.59 Authentic Demon Killer Slacker Cotton Hardcover Organic Cotton Wick (30-Pack) at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    zoiDman, are those coils 4 mm ID? I didn't know you could get spaced coils like that... good to know.

The ones I linked to are 3mm ID. I think MKWS using a Larger ID on some of their more Exotic Coils? But don't quote me on that.

---

I have tried a couple Different Brands of Pre-Coiled Coils. I have Always found that MKWS are Very Consistent with Very Good Quality.

And for the Price, they're like throwing in a Pack of Gum while waiting in the Check Out at the grocery store.

LOL

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    It's really easy to wind your own coils using simple round wire (especially spaced coils) but at that price its a great option!

I wound my Own coils until I found what I liked best Gauge & Ohm-wise in both SS and NiChrome 80.

At that point I said... "Screw this! I'll pay 2 Bucks for a Year's Worth of Pre-Coiled Coils."

LOL

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread