Distilled Water and Coil Gunkyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey guys,

I always mix my liquid with about 3% or 4% of distilled water just to thin out the VG as I do Max VG always.
I remember reading somewhere that water did pre-maturely caused coil gunk, apart from the type of flavorings etc, would it be safe here to just use PG instead of water? I feel like I'm getting that slight "burnt taste" way too soon, when I do, I check the coil and it's pretty gunked up, the cotton is fine and perfect.

Cheers

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
No reason why you can't use PG instead of water. Personally, I'd rather increase my PG ratio than add water if I need to thin a juice, but that's just my preference. It won't thin quite as much with the same amount when compared to water, as it's a little thicker than water, but will do the job just fine

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Hey guys,

I always mix my liquid with about 3% or 4% of distilled water just to thin out the VG as I do Max VG always.
I remember reading somewhere that water did pre-maturely caused coil gunk, apart from the type of flavorings etc, would it be safe here to just use PG instead of water? I feel like I'm getting that slight "burnt taste" way too soon, when I do, I check the coil and it's pretty gunked up, the cotton is fine and perfect.

Cheers

My experience has been the opposite wrt coil gunk, I thin all VG anywhere from 10-22% depending on my mood. Less water leads to faster gunk in my experience. I also don't use flavors though, so my coils and wicks last forever.

Reactions: zoiDman

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
From a chemical standpoint, water should not contribute to coil gunking. It lowers the boiling point of a juice dramatically, and also thins it, causing more evaporation, less decomposition. In my experience it is flavors that cause the majority of coil-gunking, especially tobaccos and sweet vanillas.

And I refuse to use PG at all. Like MANY people here, it dries me out too much and can cause other unpleasant problems for me. And even if I use flavors, they are generally 5% or less, especially at high wattage. Just no need. 90% of the time I vape unflavored VG juices. My general recipe is %water + %flavor = 20-25% (higher for RBA tank systems that need thinner to wick well). The rest is VG and nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread