Disturbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
That is just another ridiculous skewed article!!

It is a KNOWN fact that those with mental illness are more inclined to smoke or drink (or sadly other things) in an effort to self medicate.
So clearly yes much like there would be a higher instance of smokers or drinkers in that group then there would also be a higher instance of those using e-cigs.

(that is not to say that ALL people who smoke, drink or vape have mental illness)

e30holmes

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2014
Colchester, CT
Woah..... clearly that was written to sway public opinion. However if you really READ it thoroughly and completely its a study on smokers turning to e-cigarettes to quit. Some writers seem to be getting paid to write weird and confusing articles to make this subject sound like something its not.....I bet most people won't read the whole thing and start running around saying people with mental disabilities are more likely to use e-cigarettes making e-cigarettes look bad.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
It makes logical sense really. People with mental health problems are more likely to smoke. Since most e-cig users are doing so to quit smoking, we are likely to also have higher rates of mental health problems.

Whaaa?

Shouldn't the numbers be more equal? Iow why are mentally less healthy people more likely to try an ecig than their smoking counterparts that claim to have no mental health issues?

And has anyone ever noticed that insane people think they're the most normal? My point is any study asking people about such an incredibly sensitive and unknown subject no matter how anonymous is prone to a very high margin of error. High enough to probably call it all a waste of someone's money.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
People with mental health issues more likely to turn to e-cigare -

Turns out people who struggle with anxiety and/or depression aren't so crazy after all. They have enough presence of mind to realize smoking is killing them and are switching to vaping to save their lives.

those with mental illness are more inclined to smoke or drink (or sadly other things) in an effort to self medicate.

Given the proven fact that Chantix is likely to exacerbate mental health problems, those with disorders can't take it. Smokers who have anxiety and depression find it easier to quit with PV's (I don't use the broader term because cigalikes are minimally effective). They are more likely, because of those disorders, to have failed in the past, and have possibly given up on the possibility of even being able to quit. Because there is no protocol in adopting the PV, those with rebellious attitudes are more likely to embrace "whatever gets you off the stinkies is good enough."

I say it is all great.

My son has multiple psychiatric disorders, and his smoking was problematic, to say the least. He is now an avid vaper. He COULD NOT stop smoking any other way.

Obviously, the person who wrote that article has a mud-slogged-brain, to not be able to get it to fit around the data and implications. The use of the politically correct term of "those people who have..." was just a cover for blaming the victim. Why couldn't he/she just outright say "Vapors are crazy people?" :evil: :lol:

ETA Robin, thank you.

Last edited:

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
More than 10,000 Americans were surveyed by the study authors, who found that nearly 28 percent of current smokers said they had mental health conditions, compared with about 13 percent of nonsmokers.

This indicates that nonsmokers are more apt to also be liars. <emphasis mine> Nearly 100% of TC definitely has mental health conditions and they're not smokers.

Varelse

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Western Central IA
Given the proven fact that Chantix is likely to exacerbate mental health problems, those with disorders can't take it. Smokers who have anxiety and depression find it easier to quit with PV's (I don't use the broader term because cigalikes are minimally effective). They are more likely, because of those disorders, to have failed in the past, and have possibly given up on the possibility of even being able to quit. Because there is no protocol in adopting the PV, those with rebellious attitudes are more likely to embrace "whatever gets you off the stinkies is good enough."

I say it is all great.

My son has multiple psychiatric disorders, and his smoking was problematic, to say the least. He is now an avid vaper. He COULD NOT stop smoking any other way.

Obviously, the person who wrote that article has a mud-slogged-brain, to not be able to get it to fit around the data and implications. The use of the politically correct term of "those people who have..." was just a cover for blaming the victim. Why couldn't he/she just outright say "Vapors are crazy people?" :evil: :lol:

ETA Robin, thank you.

The article is a hack job. But the study is somewhat serious, thouroughly detailed and plugged with the pollster/survey magic "adjusting" formulas. A quick read of this journal the survey is published in reveals a fistful of asshats who think they know what's best for everyone else.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
It's extremely hard to quit smoking for most people who have Mental Disorders. Many of the psychotropic and benzodiazepine meds are actually more effective with the effect of nicotine..........not that you're going to hear about it from most Dr.s. My psychiatrist is extremely happy that I vape. I turned my case manager/therapist onto the whole vape thing and he passes it on to other patients.
I haven't had to change the dosages of my meds, my blood pressure is excellent, as it was before, I lost some weight, which I really didn't need to, and my doc sees me as being more happy and healthy......ok, so mentally, that's another story, LOL! Some things can't be repaired!
Nicotine effects:
1. It's a stimulant
2. Relaxation
3. Calmness
4. Seems to enhance concentration, memory (currently being studied for Alzhiemer's and ADD/ADHD)
5. Increases norepinephrine
6. Effects typical of those of psychostimulants
7. Enhances the effect of serotonin and opiate activity
8. Low dose nicotine patches have been an effective treatment of major depressive disorder in non-smokers
..........and more.

Just Google "Nicotine".
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread