DIY Confused.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYHodgeJuice

Jan 30, 2019
Hi all new poster, been looking through the threads and reading through all the tips and download sheets but I'm soooooooooooo confused.

I've currently made/making a few different recipes and trialled them a few different ecigs, coils etc and the results range from good to completely weird flavour,

I have a range of 15 flavours fruit, sweet, custard, etc I use either 50/50
Or 70/30 pg/vg depending on mod etc
Only make 10mls each time at 10mg nicotine

If anyone has any advice that would be great

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi all new poster, been looking through the threads and reading through all the tips and download sheets but I'm soooooooooooo confused.

I've currently made/making a few different recipes and trialled them a few different ecigs, coils etc and the results range from good to completely weird flavour,

I have a range of 15 flavours fruit, sweet, custard, etc I use either 50/50
Or 70/30 pg/vg depending on mod etc
Only make 10mls each time at 10mg nicotine

If anyone has any advice that would be great
I’m not sure this qualifies as advice, but the simplest way I have found to do DIY is with one shot flavors. These are premixed flavor combinations designed to be used just by themselves, and often as shake-n-vapes (no steeping time). They are often not as flavorful as a carefully thought out recipie, but generally better than your average lone flavor. The hamburger helper of vaping perhaps.

DIYHodgeJuice

Jan 30, 2019
I appreciate all the advise, this is my basic recipe
Pg 1.0mg
Vg 5.61mg
Nic 1.39mg (72mg strength vg)
Flav 2.00mg (20% bottle recommended)
Steep time 3-4 days

Used in my eleaf pico, 0.15 at various wattage to try and get flavour

Just no flavour, the only flavour that I actually get is biscuit and 15% is really strong,
Driving me insane lol

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
These are premixed flavor combinations designed to be used just by themselves, and often as shake-n-vapes (no steeping time). They are often not as flavorful as a carefully thought out recipie, but generally better than your average lone flavor.

So the OP doesn't get confused maybe...they're premixed flavor combinations to be used with your own PG, VG, and nic base, instead of having to use several individual flavorings. They're not used by themselves, nor are they "shake and vape", as if they're ready to go eliquids.

I don't know if you've tried any of OSDIY Shop's "One Stop Flavors" or "One Stop Blends", but Kim's husband does carefully work out his recipes for them, sometimes for months. I personally find most of them to be "spot on" to what he names them and the way they're described. I'd be happy to send you some samples, if you'd like. I usually buy in pretty good-sized quantities. I can't speak for some made by other vendors though. I might not like many of them as much as OSDIY's.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I’ve used and like those One Stop Blends.

My simplest advice is, calculate carefully, measure precisely, and take lots of notes so you can replicate what’s good, and fix what’s not.

Some people will use different steeping methods, but I find a serious shake and sitting closed in a cool, dark cabinet are all the steeping most mixes need.

You might want a rda to test them. I test every few days, and some are ready pretty fast, some takes weeks or even (vanillas) months.

You’ll know when it tastes good to YOU.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
So the OP doesn't get confused maybe...they're premixed flavor combinations to be used with your own PG, VG, and nic base, instead of having to use several individual flavorings. They're not used by themselves, nor are they "shake and vape", as if they're ready to go eliquids.
which is why I said “often”
I don't know if you've tried any of OSDIY Shop's "One Stop Flavors" or "One Stop Blends",
nope
but Kim's husband does carefully work out his recipes for them, sometimes for months. I personally find most of them to be "spot on" to what he names them and the way they're described. I'd be happy to send you some samples, if you'd like.
who me? Or the OP?
I usually buy in pretty good-sized quantities. I can't speak for some made by other vendors though. I might not like many of them as much as OSDIY's.
Ive generally bought flavorwest stuff. Got tons of it. It’s good enough for me. I’m a cheap ....... with simple tastes and 4 oz of flavor for 8 bucks is too much of a deal to pass up. Sounds like your man makes better one-shots than the average bear though.

From the sound of things the OP actually already tried a one shot. It’s just not working right for him. That’s the problem with artificial flavorings in general. You never know how it’s going to go till you try it. I’ve got a couple bottles of flavor west stuff I’ll never touch again. I should probably PIF it.

DIYHodgeJuice

Jan 30, 2019
Tbh never tried a one shot, it is literally a e liquid flavour I.e pear drops, apple, custard cream
I add the recommended amount 15-20% and use a calculator to work out all ingredients,
My fiancée has a tornado ex that runs 1.2 ohms and I mix her a 70/30 pg vg, most flavours come out ok even when not steeped,
But mine are just muted flavours
I'm using 30 - 50 watts with a 50/50 mix
I was wondering if my nicotine was too high as it's a vg 72mg
When I used the same tornado pen the flavours were good, a friend is using same pico but he runs a 0.5 ohm coil at 25 watts so I was thinking I need to change to that coil instead

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@DIYHodgeJuice - Where are you located? US? UK? Somewhere else?

Also...can you post an exact recipe that you've tried? Need to see each separate flavor name & brand and the % of each that you used, the nic base used (mg/mL and what its base is), as well as what you want your final PG/VG ratio and nic mg to be. The eliquid calculator should show it to you by weight (mg or g)and by volume (mL). Would be helpful if you could show both.

Last edited:

DIYHodgeJuice

Jan 30, 2019
@JCinFLA Located in the UK
Screenshot_20190131-001128_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190131-001236_Chrome.jpg

Flavour I'm using is from a website that a few people recommended called design your vape

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Tbh never tried a one shot, it is literally a e liquid flavour I.e pear drops, apple, custard cream
I add the recommended amount 15-20% and use a calculator to work out all ingredients,
My fiancée has a tornado ex that runs 1.2 ohms and I mix her a 70/30 pg vg, most flavours come out ok even when not steeped,
When I used the same tornado pen the flavours were good, a friend is using same pico but he runs a 0.5 ohm coil at 25 watts so I was thinking I need to change to that coil instead
While a lot of flavoring from a flavor west company may be suitable for some of their flavors not all need that much. You really should get some recommendations from reviewers who actually have used those flavors. Each flavor makers makes their own variations and at different potency levels.

Too much flavor can mute flavors and even make them totally disappear from our tasting range. One shot flavoring actually uses the correct % of each flavor for the best tasting already made mix. Also vg can mute some flavors so therefore you may have to use more for only 1 ingredient in your recipe. So many variables to consider......

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
DIYHodgeJuice, could we ask what your vaping style is please?

As from the kit you're using, I assume that you're a MTL (Mouth To Lung) style.

And you may well have identified your issue, too lower ohms and watts. As different molecules in liquids need different temperatures to vaporize.

So initially, start turning your wattage up slowly towards max wattage for the coil.

Even a new MTL style tank may help, Vaporesso Drizzle with coils rated 1.3 to 1.4 ohms.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Flavours I have used 15% - 20% bottle recommendation
Apple was ok 15%
Biscuit was strong 15%
Watermelon weak 15%
Mango weak 15%
Tropical slush weak 20%
Watermelon is a typically weak flavor by itself. Use a bit of strawberry to boost the watermelon taste.
Mango needs a long steeping time.
Tropical slush? What flavorings?

Apple is usually good period and biscuit is better at a lower pct and mixed with a bit of a cookie flavoring.

just my 2 pennies

DIYHodgeJuice

Jan 30, 2019
Set up is
Eleaf pico, melo 4 tank, 0.15 ohm multinet/multihole coil, vape style is casual daily use 2-3 seconds
If I turn the wattage too low no flavour at all the, turn it up past 45/50 watts tastes nutty and lose flavour of liquid
I am only vaping 1 flavour, so the tropical slush is just a flavour concentrate that is pre made and I add it to my mix with an eliquid calculator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wait.. 72mg/ml @ 30-50w?!?!?! That’s insane. I’m beginning to wonder if this is a troll. That kind of strength should be totally impossible to vape without coughing your face off. Something is very wrong here.

Reactions: DIYHodgeJuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread