DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Status
Not open for further replies.

brooksva

Feb 18, 2018
Super awesome information on this thread, much appreciated! Seems longer but 6 months today smoke free and most of that time I have honed rebuilding factory coils until I have a winner with 26 gauge ss, around 8 wraps gives me .7 ohms. I just got a fastech order from stuff I ordered the first week of May to keep that going for probably years. I'm now ready to pull the trigger on DIY liquid. Tired of spending big bucks on liquid and then most often, it's color is all wrong and I'm doing things like leaving it a hot car or wrapping them in a heating pad to try to speed steep them, I might as well make my own. I see nic river has a kit for 50 bucks and has like a thousand different flavors but strangely enough, many of the recipes I see call for flavors they don't have. Much like my experience with finding "the one coil", I think juice will be the same for me whereas I will look only for "the one". This is currently anarchist pink lemonade and that is pretty much what I want to make although I haven't found a recipe of someone trying to emulate it. All that said, is the nic river kit option still the way I should go? The link with all the PDF with all the flavors in here is very exciting, just looking for an opinion other than my own inexperienced one. Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Super awesome information on this thread, much appreciated! Seems longer but 6 months today smoke free and most of that time I have honed rebuilding factory coils until I have a winner with 26 gauge ss, around 8 wraps gives me .7 ohms. I just got a fastech order from stuff I ordered the first week of May to keep that going for probably years. I'm now ready to pull the trigger on DIY liquid. Tired of spending big bucks on liquid and then most often, it's color is all wrong and I'm doing things like leaving it a hot car or wrapping them in a heating pad to try to speed steep them, I might as well make my own. I see nic river has a kit for 50 bucks and has like a thousand different flavors but strangely enough, many of the recipes I see call for flavors they don't have. Much like my experience with finding "the one coil", I think juice will be the same for me whereas I will look only for "the one". This is currently anarchist pink lemonade and that is pretty much what I want to make although I haven't found a recipe of someone trying to emulate it. All that said, is the nic river kit option still the way I should go? The link with all the PDF with all the flavors in here is very exciting, just looking for an opinion other than my own inexperienced one. Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.
Usually recipes have such a varied use of flavors that do not come from just one vendor. A good flavor shop BullCityFlavors carries a lot of different vendors flavorings but not all the vendors that are out there. More often than not Ecigexpress does the same but carries some of the vendors the BullVity does not. Another good one in Alltheflavors carries lots of options of flavors.
So as you can see it is not size fits all.
Lots of mixers like to combine 2 different vendor flavors that have the same flavor. Each one offers something a little different in how they taste. So combining 2 flavors in 1 recipe helps the mixer to have a fuller, more rounded taste than just using one or the other.

HTH

:)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Much like my experience with finding "the one coil", I think juice will be the same for me whereas I will look only for "the one". This is currently anarchist pink lemonade and that is pretty much what I want to make although I haven't found a recipe of someone trying to emulate it.

If you're located in the US...I'll send you a small sample bottle of Pink Lemonade flavoring from OSDIYShop. It's one of their own proprietary "One Stop Flavors". With it...all you have to do is add about 5% to your own plain PG, plain VG, and nic base...and you've got a finished mix. Their One Stop Flavors and One Stop Blends are already a combination of flavorings, so you don't need to add others to it, unless maybe you want a little sweeter Pink Lemonade. Then I'd add only a drop or 2 of TFA Sweetener or CAP Super Sweet...if needed at all. Just PM me your address, if you're in the US, and I'll get it sent this coming week.

About ordering a kit - Many who have been DIYing for awhile usually do not recommend them, unless you're pretty sure you'll use everything that comes in the kit. Otherwise, you're still paying for some of those supplies, even though you won't use them.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
"Weight of pure nicotine" should be changed. Is that in PG or VG? The units are g/ml which is density. Pure nicotine would be in grams or mg. Maybe it should say "Density of pure nicotine." I don't know what was trying to be achieved.
The operative word here is weight....these numbers are for specific gravity(SG) and are input into a calculator so that when you mix by weight not by volume, the calculator knows how many grams to calculate for the weight of pg/vg. Flavors are usually just considered to weigh 1 gram as most flavor makers don't always suppley the SG info(some do, some do not).
Since no diyer ever uses Pure Nicotine I am sure the author placed it there as a reference point to the rest of the chart.

asmcriminal

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
cali
The operative word here is weight....these numbers are for specific gravity(SG) and are input into a calculator so that when you mix by weight not by volume, the calculator knows how many grams to calculate for the weight of pg/vg. Flavors are usually just considered to weigh 1 gram as most flavor makers don't always suppley the SG info(some do, some do not).
Since no diyer ever uses Pure Nicotine I am sure the author placed it there as a reference point to the rest of the chart.
The issue is that it is in this format.
Weight of pure nicotine 1.01 g/ml

g/ml is density. Not weight.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I have some tricks that make my DIY Easier
1. I use an 8oz bottle and I add my flavoring and Nic first. Don't bother to measure my VG, at the end just fill to the top of the bottle with VG or for you VG PG mix
2. Always use 100mg liquid. Rule of thumb is that each ml of liquid is 3.33mg/ml Per oz so for example if I want 6mg liquid I would use slightly under 2ml of liquid per oz. So for my 8oz bottle that would be 8ml * 2 = 16ml of Nic. If I was really stuck on being at exactly 6 I can easily do the math.
(6/3.3)*8 or 14.5ml but I'm not .... retentive I just guestimate.
3. This one is new - Just made my first purchase from Nicotine River and their 500ml bottle of VG comes with a pour spout. Makes pouring out the VG Easy Peasy. Worth making 1 purchase from them just to get those bottles with pour spouts. Can always refill from a gallon or 1/2 gallon if you buy in bulk

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
2. Always use 100mg liquid. Rule of thumb is that each ml of liquid is 3.33mg
:confused:
I always thought 100mg/ml nic equaled 100 milligrams per milliliter. I am obviously missing something. Where is the "3.33mg" coming from? Yes; you can dilute 100mg/mL to just about anything. But, as is, this is not an appropriate statement. Or, am I missing the totality obvious yet again?

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
I always thought 100mg/ml nic equaled 100 milligrams per milliliter. I am obviously missing something. Where is the "3.33mg" coming from? Yes; you can dilute 100mg/mL to just about anything. But, as is, this is not an appropriate statement. Or, am I missing the totality obvious yet again?
Mental shift, Think about it in Oz and increments of Oz not in terms of ML. Think about it with a coefficient that matches the strength of nicotine that you always use. If you standardize on 1 strength it's easy all you have to do is memorize one number no need for fancy calculators.

If you do your batches in Oz or 30ml increments than it always works out. If you standardize on the size of the bottles you use then it makes it more easy. I never have to measure my VG because I add the Nic base and flavoring first then just fill to the top of the bottle with my VG. I'm not .... retentive so I just gestimate to get near a point. But I know the math if I want to be precise. By the way this math works for any strength liquid you just have to change the coefficients.
zmg/ml /30ml = the coefficient
example you are using 60mg Base
60/30 =2mg/ml Per oz

Let's say that you are always working with 100mg Base and you are making in Ounces
Very easy to do the math if you want to be precise. Me I just take the number and multiply it.
example (1)3.33 (2)6.66 (3)10 (4)13.3 etc

Let's say that I want 12mg liquid I'm using my normal 8oz bottle.
Just Devide 12mg by the 3.38 and multiply by the amount of ounces.
so
(12/3.38)*8 = 28.4ml
Add 28.4 ml to 8oz bottle to get 12mg/ml
Per Oz
1oz = 29.57ml rounded to 30mg
100mg/ml / 30ml = 3.33mg/ml Per 30ml
If you want to be .... retentive then
100 / 29.57 = 3.38mg Per Oz
and
100 / 30 = 3.33 Per 30ml

So however many oz you are making just find your nic level and then multiply by the amount of ounces you are making. 3.33 or 3.38.
I use the 3.3 and overfill the battle with my vg

Example I want to make roughly a 8oz batch of 6-7mg liquid So I use 16ml of 100mg liquid
2* 3.33 = 6.66
2*8=16ml of 100mg nic
If I want it closer to 6 I'd subract a 1ml if closer to 7 than add a ml. I just gestimate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread