The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Marc411, Sep 1, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Marc411

Marc411 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Over the years that I've been here I just started saving information found on the site so I didn't have to go back and search.

Lately a lot of people have started DIY and I've been passing them links and thought it may be good to keep it all in one place.

The attached and downloadable file is a PDF with clickable links. I believe all are updated and accurate. If you have information I should add (or fix) I will update the file and post updates (not sure for how long).

And BrotherBob, I used your information on getting started, page two so thank you.

The document is four pages.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 32
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Very nicely done and downloaded, thank you :)

Anna

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Glad you can use it Anna. I'm just trying to give back a little to a group of good people at ECF that helped me for years.

• Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 2
  4. IDJoel

IDJoel Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Nice resource Marc; thanks for sharing!:thumbs:

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dobroeutro

dobroeutro Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 14, 2016
    North Carolina
    Well done, thanks for taking the time & sharing... :D

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Thanks, if you have any recommendations for additions or corrections please let me know.

• Like Like x 8
  7. Trigster

Trigster Super Member

Aug 2, 2017
    SF Bay Area
    @Marc411...Thanks Much...Valuable Resource...I Appreciate Your Time !!!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sofarsogood

sofarsogood Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2014
    If you are just getting started get some PG, VG, and nic and use it to dilute e liquid you already like by 50-75%. When you have confidence doing that get an all-in-one flavoring and flavor with that instead of pre mix. I delayed DIY for months because I believed I needed to learn pages and pages of stuff. A gallon each of PG and VG and a liter of 100mg nic should cost $100. That's enough to last me 4 years at 7 ml of liquid per day with 10mg nic.

• Like Like x 4
  9. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Saved the DIY Information PDF file for future reference. Thanks, Marc411 !

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Updated

Added Hoosiers and danny45's blog links. Danny45 has additional mixing links and dives deeper into the details at a component level for DIY. I used his blog a ton when I started and it was a huge help.

These are great additions, I was having issues finding the blogs :( I couldn't remember that danny had a 45 at the end of his username and his blog didn't come up in the search by name or I was just screwing up.

Sorry for the delay gentlemen.

Also added some information on:

Liquid Extraction From Tobacco
    Whole Tobacco Alkaloid Eliquid’s (WTA) - Aroma Juice
    ECF Thread on WTA
    Long Term Nicotine Storage
    Nicotine Comparisons ECF thread - Long)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Updated

I'm just gathering the links and keeping them together. BrotherBob has provided a lot of great information in this attachment.

I would be happy to add any information posted or sent to me in a PM if you have something you think should be added. Please let me know if there are corrections or dead links.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Carl2

Carl2 Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 30, 2016
    Thank you, I appreciate the time and effort you put into preparing this for us.
    Since I've just gotten started in the steeping process and found it to be helpful possibly it would be nice if you put a little information about this. I've seen a lot of people saying there is no flavor.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    That's a good thought, Carl12, and I too appreciate your hard work, Marc411 :)

I'm thinking an overview of steeping methods and *approximate* times might be helpful, though in some ways everyone's a bit different on that, but including it and the purpose for it might help some folks who may think shake and vape is the way to go and then end up overflavored....

Anna

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Full Member

Sep 2, 2017
    McKinney, TX
    Thank you. Much appreciated!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carl2

Jun 30, 2016
    I consider this vid has some of the best information on steeping for those interested

I considered from the vid the water bath was best, I decided it was best to keep the water warm and let the bottles just sit in the water for hours.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Added information on requested.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Carl2

Jun 30, 2016
    Marc411
    Thank you very much, I see that Dannyv45 is in there with a crockpot, been there since 2014.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fozzy71

Fozzy71 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 7, 2016
    8 Mile + 2.5
    I used a crock pot when I first started DIY to find recipes I liked faster. Once I found a few that I liked I mixed batches of them and speed steeped some, and mixed other big batches of them and just let them age naturally while I vaped the speed steeped stuff. Once you get over the initial hurdle of getting something to vape and some stuff steeping the speed steeping becomes unnecessary. I haven't used the crockpot in a year. I have 2 - 3 liters being vaped/steeped and the stuff I am vaping was mixed between January and June. I have mixed 6x100 ml the past 30 days and have everything pulled out to mix up another 400ml this week. The stuff I mix this week likely will not get vaped until early 2018.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Marc411

Mar 17, 2014
    Windy City
    Great point Fozzy, I'm like you I mix enough to get a month of cabinet steeping done long before I need it. Once you know what you like mixing larger batches takes care of the need to speed steep.

I did recently speed steep a couple recipes for friends on my electric stirrer and hot plate which works pretty well.

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. Carl2

Jun 30, 2016
    I say water bath rather than speed steep but I have found that using less flavoring in a DIY mix I get much more flavor than I had before. My last mix was a Turkish tobacco steeped at 130 F for six hours using less flavoring than I had previously. Very easy to tell it was a stronger flavor. I'm comparing this to a Turkish mixture that was mixed and put into a fridg. Maybe left in there a few months. At this time I'm amazed at the results, I should try both methods in the future.

• Useful Useful x 2