Status
Not open for further replies.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
A simple tech question....since I want to be able to vape while in the hospital as well as have my husband be able to vape....is there any possibility that an e-cig could produce a spark that would ignite compressed oxygen??? (yes...we do plan on being stealthy...no sense creating a problem.....but hell no we are not going to go outside and stand with the analogs!)

BTW....the business cards from Mark with the little explanation on the back.........DUDE....excellent!!!! Thank you! I was going to print out my own but these are so much nicer. Thanks again!

Davo

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2009
Heart of Dixie
Good question, you wouldn't want to set Ox off, but however... although these devices are electric (electronic) the power source is only approx 3.7 volts and little change of spark production, even at a dead short. Static would be a worse problem. Having said that and the risk involved i.e. hospital... perhaps just duck into the rest room and grab a vape. I'm not a product expert by no means, but a background in electronics, I'd err on the side of caution... we wouldn't want to read about that in the news and have a bad pub made on e-cigs.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I'm afraid I have to entirely disagree with your assessment, Davo.

There is an unshielded switch, both on the auto and manual batteries.

The switch contact _will_ spark with each draw and each draw release as the poles make contact.

I doubt it's likely there is enough heat contained in the spark to ignite O2 unless the concentrations were exactly [unfortunately] right, however, the "correct" answer is that this is NOT a medical grade device, and is not properly insulated for use in an O2 saturated environment.

Whether you want to take a risk given that parameter is your call. I suspect a blown bearing on your oxygen cart creating a hotter spark from metal-on-metal is probably more of a risk, but _I wouldn't make that call_.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
In theory - yes. However - devices designed and certified for IP*x environments are properly insulated against exposing that spark though. When we were installing cameras in a cereal production facility, we even had to use aluminum conduit. If someone nails aluminum conduit with a forklift - it won't spark like EMT or Rigid/Steel. All of our cameras had to be IP67x (the "x" is for explosive environment. The first number specifies the ability of personal to come in contact with the circuit, the second number is its water and air-borne particle resistance.)

The whole thing with cell phones and gas fueling is actually pretty dumb, but that's a whole 'nudder topic related to vapor density. :)

Teibidh

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
So, I'm going to go a step further...
You know you or your husband (whichever is having a procedure) will be in the hospital. Since you're worried about compressed oxygen I'm assuming that means one of you will be on some form or another of assisted ventilation...

While e-cigs aren't as chemically active as regular cigarettes, thus their appeal to us, Nicotine is not without any effects on the body... one of which is that is causes constriction of blood vessels, which are what carry oxygen around the body... If they have you on any sort of assisted breathing then using an e-cig, which introduces nicotine, is a terrible idea.

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Thank you all for the replies. It sounds like the hubby will have to lock himself in the bathroom to vape. :)

In answer to the question....I do not plan on being on oxygen once I am out of surgery....but if I am I certainly will not vape. Maybe I can just dump some smoke juice in the IV. <kidding!>

boondongle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2009
Doylestown, Pa
... although these devices are electric (electronic) the power source is only approx 3.7 volts and little change of spark production, even at a dead short.
Maybe in theory... I was just working on a mod, though, and forgot to take the battery out while making a quick fix. I accidentally shorted it, and got some rather spectacular sparks in my face. With this thread in mind, I experimented a bit and shorted it again...more sparks. Just FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread