Do I undersand this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyAmethyst

Apr 3, 2011
Rifle, CO
I've been vaping for a little over 90 days and I want to try my hand at mixing some e-juice. I'm a novice at DIY so to just to keep it simple to start with I'm not doing any fancy combinations. I'm just trying to make sure that I understand the things that I'm reading about in here. I'm using Scubabatdan's ejuce_calculatorv13.xls because I'm not that great at math. So........

I have 15ml of flavored 36mg 100% PG eliquid.
I want to turn it into 18mg 70/30 PG/VG eliquid.
I also have the matching flavor.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I'm understanding the answers I get from the calculator. This is what I put into the calculator:
Base PG Nic % 36mg
Target PG Nic % 18mg
Amount to be made for recipe 10ml
Water/Vodka/PGA 10%
VG 20%
Flavor 10%
It gives me the following answer:
PG with nicotine 50%
PG (no nicotine) 18%
Water/Vodka/PGA 2%
VG 20%
Flavorings 10%
Now if I'm understanding this right it means I should come out with about a 68/32 PG/VG mix which is close to the target I'm trying to reach. Is that right? :confused:

Thanks
LadyA

LadyAmethyst

Apr 3, 2011
Rifle, CO
Well, that's part of what I'm trying to understand.

So if I change it to this:
Base PG Nic % 36mg
Target PG Nic % 18mg
Amount to be made for recipe 10ml
Water/Vodka/PGA 10%
VG 30%
Flavor 10%

It gives me the following answer:

PG with nicotine 50%
PG (no nicotine) 7%
Water/Vodka/PGA 3%
VG 20%
Flavorings 10%

Now if I'm understanding this right it means I should come out with about a 57/42 PG/VG mix which isn't close to the target I'm trying to reach. :unsure:

LadyA

LadyAmethyst

Apr 3, 2011
Rifle, CO
PKZap27

Have you read throught the following thread? It should help you to understand Dan's calculator and also answer most of your questions.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/for...culations.html

Well, it's 59 pages long and I've gotten to about page 25 but I'm finding it more confusing than helpful. So I thought that I'd just ask the question here. Don't get me wrong I think the calculator is great but I'm just trying to see if I understand it!

What I want is a 70/30 18mg eliquid made from 100%PG 36mg eliquid. The thing is when I start plugging in numbers like 30% VG, 10% water to thin the VG, and 10% flavor, it doesn't seem to come out to the 70/30 18mg eliquid that I want, unless I'm not understanding the answers correctly.

LadyA

tomjw3

Oct 4, 2009
using the calc. I entered you're numbers;
Base PG Nic%-36
Target PG Nic% -18
amount to be made-10
Water/Vodka/PGA-10
VG-20
Flavor-10

and the answer I got;
PG with Nicotine-50%
PG ( No Nicotine)-18%
Water/vodka/PGA based on VG-2%
VG-20%
Flavoring(s)-10%

The math works-maybe you're flavoring is VG based? The math doesn't work for that assumption.
Maye the macro's are not working properly?
Tom

PKZap27

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2011
USA - Ohio
-- Snipped --

Flavoring is PG based, so you would count the 10% flavoring on the PG side.

you can play around with the calculator without the water to see that the ratio works.

I don't think you need to thin out VG with water in the mix you want. The reason I say this is because I have mixed 60/40 PG/VG and never bothered to thin my VG and I felt it was a long way from being to thick to use.

I know that Dan discussed in his thread about how the water is applied to the VG in the calculation. I don't recall how it is calculated since I don't bother with thining VG in my mix, as i have never went beyond 60/40 PG/VG.

I don't think 2% either way in the ratio is anything to loose sleep over.

I hope this helps.

YMMV

Last edited:

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
If the flavor you have to match your nic flavor is already diluted (a doubler) and is 100% PG, then you need to remove the 10% flavor from your calculations. With how much PG you have in your flavor and your nic it might be impossible for you to reach 70/30 unless you want to reduce your nic strength even further. The lower nic strength means less PG nic you add, which allows you to add more VG. I also agree with other posters no need for vodka or water, PG is enough to thin the liquid at 70/30. You only should start considering adding distilled water or PGA when you are mixing with the higher number being VG and the lower number being PG. Currently i use around a 70VG/30PG no Distilled or PGA with all my DIY and have not run into wicking issues with atties or standard cartos. CE2's ....well thats another story that i wont go into here.

So if your flavoring is already a diluted flavor you need to just put in these numbers:
nic strength 36
target nic 18
VG 30%

Now where it says to add the unflavored PG use your 0 nic flavoring (assuming it is already a diluted doubler), then add how ever much nic and VG it says to add and you should get your target mix. Albeit with 30% VG of unflavoredness you might loose a little bit of flavor strength but i really doubt it will be an issue.

Now if your flavor is a concentrated flavor that matches your nic juice (EXAMPLE: caramel) then you want to keep the 10% flavor, drop the Vodka/water and input:
Nic strength 36
target nic 18
vg 30%
flavoring (if your nic is already flavored adding 10% of a concentrated flavor might be a serious over kill, i'd try 5%)

Add the PG and VG and nic it says to, then add your % of flavoring that you decided on...hopefully it all works out well and you end up with your 70/30 nummy yummies. :)

Last edited:

LadyAmethyst

Apr 3, 2011
Rifle, CO
Well, I made a typo in post #3. The answer actually was VG 30% not 20%.

tomjw3
The reason I say that the macro's might not be working is you're second example comes out to 90%

So, tomjw3, that's why it didn't add up!

dripdaddy

I'm with sophie on that one. Do you have a flavor doubler or a flavoring that is the same as your 36mg bottle?

The flavoring that I have is Flavourart Condensed Flavouring the same flavor as my base.

Shantia

Now if your flavor is a concentrated flavor that matches your nic juice (EXAMPLE: caramel) then you want to keep the 10% flavor, drop the Vodka/water and input:
Nic strength 36
target nic 18
vg 30%
flavoring (if your nic is already flavored adding 10% of a concentrated flavor might be a serious over kill, i'd try 5%)

I actually have 2 flavors together. I have the Maxboro base with a 2x Menthol extra flavoring. I have both of these (Maxboro and Menthol) in the Flavorart Condensed Flavorings.

The other reason that I was going to add PGA was that in some of the posts I've read they say that PGA increases the throat hit.

The other thing that I was considering doing was pre-thinning my VG with the PGA. So my VG would actually be 90% VG and 10% PGA, but us it in the calculations as if it were just VG.

LadyA

Shantia

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2011
Fredericksburg, VA
Thinning your VG with PGA for throat hit is not a bad idea. From most of the information i've read 5% PGA is recommended, unless your really looking for a great throat hit. I dont like throat hit...that or i dont really understand what throat hit is supposed to mean cause things that actually affect my throat, hurt.. I like smooth vapes.

LadyAmethyst

Apr 3, 2011
Rifle, CO
So if the flavorings are concentrated, that means they don't have any PG or VG right? Well then how much, if any, does adding a few drops of concentrated flavor to the mix affect the nic level?

Shantia, I’m going to take your advice an lower the flavor to 5%. I can always add more later if it’s not strong enough. So, I'm going to give this a try to see how it turns out.

PG Calculator
Section 1
Base PG Nic % 36 mg
Target PG Nic % 18 mg
Amount to be made for recipe 10 ml
Water/Vodka/PGA 0 %
VG 30 %
Flavor 5 %

Section 2 says
Ingredient ml drops %
PG with nicotine 5.00 220 50.0% (Maxboro premix x2extra Menthol)
PG (no nicotine) 1.50 78 15.0% (Plain PG)
Water/Vodka/PGA 0.00 0 0.0% ---------
VG 3.00 84 30.0% (pre-thinned VG @ 90/10 VG/PGA)
Flavorings 0.50 17 5.0% (5 drops Maxboro, 12 drops Menthol Concentrates)

I'll let you know how it works! :vapor:

LadyA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread