Do you think the success of the VAMO will make some products fade away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doglips

ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2012
Cocoa Fl
Do you think the success of the VAMO will make some products fade away? I keep thinking about the kick...but for price of a kick to put into my old mods, I could just get a vamo...Same with some of the new VV VW stuff coming out...twice the price of a vamo....someone searches and sees vamo users are generally happy...and a lot of us....makes sense they would try then less expensive VAMO.

will suppliers try to make their next wonder mod more vamo like (design or price)?

I just cant imagine how so many people buying and enjoying the VAMO could go unnoticed by suppliers.

What do you all think?

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Simply put, No.

I love my VAMO, Wife loves hers, they do what we want. But.. it's big, slightly unwieldy and a pain to drag around when out and about, even if in short mode. I would enjoy a mod that did the same things as the VAMO in a smaller, more easily portable size.

Someone will come out with one soon. Then, the VAMO will "old school"...

tartanraven

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The Vamo is OK...I own one, but it's no world beater. At any given moment, I will pick up one of my mechanicals, or the Sigelei Z-Max (apparently mine is the only one that isnt total rubbish) or if I can steal it, one of my Girlfriend's Provaris. Again, the battery flexibility of the Vamo is nice...but it pretty much ends there.

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
The Zmax v1 brought vw/vv on one device - and the v2 brought RMS to the mix. The Vamo challenged the price point and having different sizes with one pv that does vw. Now we are seeing the beginning of what I think will be a wave of new products. Inokin are releasing a telescoping vw/vv mod. Smoktech are putting out a telescoping Zmax and possibly a mini Zmax, and there are the Anyvape CVI, the Evic, and less talked about at this stage, the Janty Mid. Not all as inexpensive as the Vamo, but some already tailoring to those who want a smaller size - the CVI can be used with an 18350, The Evic can be configured with different tubes, and the telescope Zmax also can be used with an 18350.
Just within a few months we find ourselves with all these mods, and I think we're going to be spoilt for choice. It makes me smile when I see posts in the new members forum arguing over a Vamo vs an Evic - when a few months ago we had neither. :)

cyclotron

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2012
Hampton Roads, VA, US
I don't think that the VAMO in and of itself will eliminate other things. I think, as Kiwi has said, that it is a market change with a wide range of diversity and price ranges with a broad range of features that you see as the big change. The guy that got me into vaping has told me several times that I was blessed to get into vaping when so many good options are readily available.

It would seem the market is exploding with good products and this can be nothing but good for the consumer.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
The Vamo is OK...I own one, but it's no world beater. At any given moment, I will pick up one of my mechanicals, or the Sigelei Z-Max (apparently mine is the only one that isnt total rubbish) or if I can steal it, one of my Girlfriend's Provaris. Again, the battery flexibility of the Vamo is nice...but it pretty much ends there.

There seem to be two good ones out there. Yours, and the one that belongs to the guy who claims that, because the Z-Max is heavy, it operates more quietly than other PVs.

I'm still trying to figure that one out. But at least you're not alone.

wacdenney

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Georgia
I didn't go for the Vamo because to me it looks hideous. I know it shouldn't matter but I want to like the looks of something I'm going to be carrying around with me all day every day. I'm trying to find an Anyvape cvi personally. Same internals but I think better looking. Unfortunately I can't seem to find one anywhere. :/

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
The Vamo challenged the combination of features and price point. People still buy devices that function the same but at a higher cost so as of now its impact hasn't been felt all that much. That could change in 2013 as Vamo ownership increases and companies start realizing that in order to compete with this type of device they can't price gouge. So it really comes down to the continued success and sales rates of the Vamo over time.

If it continues to stay popular and the user base grows ... it could greatly impact PRICING of devices in the future. Hopefully we continues to see more devices without a one button menu system as well. :p

Awkwardly Awesome

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2012
Minnesota
I think the other aspect to take into consideration, Chinese made mass produced units vs. handmade high end units. The Vamo has just opened up the door to force these Chinese made units to be priced better. Does my vamo have more features than a Provari? Yes. Does it work as well as a Provari? Yes. But the quality of the unit doesn't hold a candle to a Provari. So realistically all we will see is more $50-75 VV/VW mods from China.

The best thing about the Vamo is that it is opening the door for people to get into a mod for much cheaper and to have a satisfactory experience. A year ago you couldn't buy a VV mod in this price range. Even then the cheapest VV mod's didn't use RMS and had many quality issues. It is bridging the gap. And this is exactly what the community needs. As this market continues to expand and gain popularity, people need better options than just ego's to get into vaping.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
I've been a potential buyer for a VW mod with reliable power delivery and a sensible menu system since I began vaping. I bought the VAMO expecting a tinny piece of junk for the price but thought it would serve as a backup for something with similar features but better build quality I was hoping to find in the future.

The VAMO exceeded my expectations by so much that I ordered a stainless version as soon as I could find one for sale. It has raised the bar considerably for me in what I would be willing to spend for another VW mod. For me to spend more it would have to offer feature(s) that would simplify my vaping life, weigh a lot less in a much smaller form factor and/or look like something MOMA would put in their design collection.

In the few months since starting to vape I've watched the technology and product offerings improve considerably. I will not pay a premium price for yesterday's technology that is less convenient for me to use, irrespective of lovely machining, but the VAMO hasn't changed my opinion about that issue.

albcig

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2012
tirana
Simply put, No.

I love my VAMO, Wife loves hers, they do what we want. But.. it's big, slightly unwieldy and a pain to drag around when out and about, even if in short mode. I would enjoy a mod that did the same things as the VAMO in a smaller, more easily portable size.

Someone will come out with one soon. Then, the VAMO will "old school"...

my thought exactly. i find some vv mods to be way too big or heavy to be carried around. thats why i keep my vamo at home. i usually use ego stile batteries outside. and im generally happy. they need to make a smaller mod, it should be thinner too imo

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
my thought exactly. i find some vv mods to be way too big or heavy to be carried around. thats why i keep my vamo at home. i usually use ego stile batteries outside. and im generally happy. they need to make a smaller mod, it should be thinner too imo

There are smaller mods, but the price you pay is in battery life.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
There are smaller mods, but the price you pay is in battery life.

Hell, the Vamo can be that smaller mod if you pull a tube off of it. Still, it's probably bigger than it needs to be. One of my biggest gripes about my Vamo was how much extra length the control head tacked onto it.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
One of my biggest gripes about my Vamo was how much extra length the control head tacked onto it.
Starting at 4:07 into the video it doesn't look like the board would fit into a shorter control section. One hopes that someone will come up with a smaller board sometime soon.
Q

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Hell, the Vamo can be that smaller mod if you pull a tube off of it. Still, it's probably bigger than it needs to be. One of my biggest gripes about my Vamo was how much extra length the control head tacked onto it.

Since he already has a Vamo I figured he means smaller than the Vamo with an 18350. I have two Vamos myself btw. I like the size with an 18350 - use it every day.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Amen to that!
I've been a potential buyer for a VW mod with reliable power delivery and a sensible menu system since I began vaping. I bought the VAMO expecting a tinny piece of junk for the price but thought it would serve as a backup for something with similar features but better build quality I was hoping to find in the future.

The VAMO exceeded my expectations by so much that I ordered a stainless version as soon as I could find one for sale. It has raised the bar considerably for me in what I would be willing to spend for another VW mod. For me to spend more it would have to offer feature(s) that would simplify my vaping life, weigh a lot less in a much smaller form factor and/or look like something MOMA would put in their design collection.

In the few months since starting to vape I've watched the technology and product offerings improve considerably. I will not pay a premium price for yesterday's technology that is less convenient for me to use, irrespective of lovely machining, but the VAMO hasn't changed my opinion about that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread