Does juice go bad? (Bought expired juice)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
So I brought it back, my luck of course they wouldn’t offer me any sort of compensation (not sure if it’s a legal thing or they’re just being ......). Guy behind the counter that sold it to me seemed unaware, was nice enough and actually contacted the boss and still wouldn’t exchange it, so apparently they know they’re selling expired juices (at full price, they could at least put them on clearance).

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying online. I’d probably rather buy online anyway as it’s a bit of a drive into town, though there is like 5 other vape shops in the area (the one I bought the juice from isn’t a dedicated vape shop but also a head shop). I’ve bought from vapor authority in the past (seemed a bit on the pricy side), is ejiuce.deals good? Idk there’s so many if you just google it, more than I want to sift through lol.
If I'm not mistaken, and it could be federal or state laws, drinking alcohol products can not be returned
- And with all the crazy regulations being placed on tobacco and especially vaping, it is possible that they legally could not take it back - Of course if they wanted to be nice they could have just exchanged it
- Maybe you should shop somewhere else BUT if you know what's going on there soon may be nowhere, and that includes online, to shop for any commercially made vape juices or hardware !

As far as going bad goes - Several people here, and elsewhere, have recommended storing all your commercially made juices in the refrigerator, but not the freezer as apparently freezing temperatures can damage some flavors.
People who do their own mixing {DIY} do recommend storing nicotine itself in the freezer.

Last edited:

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
So I brought it back, my luck of course they wouldn’t offer me any sort of compensation (not sure if it’s a legal thing or they’re just being ......). Guy behind the counter that sold it to me seemed unaware, was nice enough and actually contacted the boss and still wouldn’t exchange it, so apparently they know they’re selling expired juices (at full price, they could at least put them on clearance).

Does anyone have any recommendations for buying online. I’d probably rather buy online anyway as it’s a bit of a drive into town, though there is like 5 other vape shops in the area (the one I bought the juice from isn’t a dedicated vape shop but also a head shop). I’ve bought from vapor authority in the past (seemed a bit on the pricy side), is ejiuce.deals good? Idk there’s so many if you just google it, more than I want to sift through lol.
Yeah, due to possible health risks, vape stores won't take back any juices sold. They are not being an a double s. Standard across the board policy. You buy it, it's yours.

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    Yeah, due to possible health risks, vape stores won't take back any juices sold. They are not being an a double s. Standard across the board policy. You buy it, it's yours.

For a normal transaction, involving unexpired juice, that makes sense. But if the juice is expired, they shouldn't put it out for resale anyway. It is their right as a business not to refund or exchange after such a sale, but it is poor business practice and doesn't lend to repeat customer sales. My guess is they aren't really interested in the vapers' business, as they are a head shop.

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

Baldr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas, Tx
    @Floah However, if it was on a shelf or display with other regularly priced eliquids and you chose it yourself, but didn't check the date before buying it...I'd chalk it up to being my own fault for not noticing the date.

If I bought milk or meat or whatever at the grocery store and found that it was already past the sell-by date, I'd blame the store. Pulling out of date merchandise is part of their job. Why would vape juice be any different? They shouldn't be selling it after the expiration date without giving you any warning about it.

• Winner
    Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Floah

Feb 17, 2019
    If I bought milk or meat or whatever at the grocery store and found that it was already past the sell-by date, I'd blame the store. Pulling out of date merchandise is part of their job. Why would vape juice be any different? They shouldn't be selling it after the expiration date without giving you any warning about it.
    Yeah what really sucks is that after the employee called the boss (owner?), they basically acknowledged that it will degrade over time but still offer no sort of compensation after charging full price. If it was a legal thing, its not like they had to actually accept it back to exchange it or reimburse me.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    True story - my mother told me about how she was often told to re-date meat products that were close to their 'use-by' dates (in a well-known UK supermarket in the 70's)....
    But i digress... The trouble with e-liquid is that some flavours are awful from the get-go, so it's hard to say if a two year old bottle is supposed to taste like it does. I have found that most tobacco flavours improve over time and most fruit flavours don't.

The shop that sold you the liquid may well be aware that the use-by dates on vape juice are completely arbitary and that may have influenced the decision not to refund. In my opinion their decision was wrong. I would exact vengence - it's hardly your fault that their stock rotation and management skills are rubbish...

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    doesn’t the nic also change or degrade as well?
    My opinion only, without any real science to back it up: In the low concentrations present in finished e-liquid, it's more a question of it reactions with the flavorings over time than outright degrading. I base this opinion on the following experience:

I can make a bottle of 12mg unflavored liquid and leave it at room temperature for months without any perceptible change in color or or much perceptible change in taste. This is not true of 100 mg "base", which does degrade noticeably over the same time span.

I can make a bottle of flavored, zero-nic juice and (assuming the flavorings were colorless to begin with) it will remain water-clear more-or-less forever.

However, if I make that same flavored liquid with 12mg of nicotine, it will start to visibly darken within a week or two.

Thus my conclusion is that nicotine and flavorings react.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    Coincidently i made two bottles of 12mg 50/50 liquid for a friend literally yesterday. One was strawberry and pineapple flavour and one was blackcurrant and raspberry flavour. All flavourings are/were colourless.
    The strawberry blend has already turned red/orange and the blackcurrant remains clear. That is one fast reaction...

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    Coincidently i made two bottles of 12mg 50/50 liquid for a friend literally yesterday. One was strawberry and pineapple flavour and one was blackcurrant and raspberry flavour. All flavourings are/were colourless.
    The strawberry blend has already turned red/orange and the blackcurrant remains clear. That is one fast reaction...
    There is a 'dark side' to this information {pun intended}
    When the lawsuits against the FDA denial orders, especially on flavored vape juice, that are already happening get to the courts - the FDA which already claims flavors are more dangerous because of youth appeal, may try to show that the flavors, because of chemical reactions with nicotine, are more dangerous ?

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    They could make any claim they wished. Without evidence though it's just propaganda. I could claim that the rapid change in colour signifies a rise in antioxidants therefore making the liquid beneficial to health and potentially reducing the aging process... That's as factual as a lot of anti-vaping arguements (i.e. fact-free but vaguely science-y sounding) ;)

Reactions: Rossum

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2020
    Nevada, USA
    They could make any claim they wished. Without evidence though it's just propaganda. I could claim that the rapid change in colour signifies a rise in antioxidants therefore making the liquid beneficial to health and potentially reducing the aging process... That's as factual as a lot of anti-vaping arguements (i.e. fact-free but vaguely science-y sounding) ;)
    True - But knowing how they've been treating the whole vape industry - You know they will start to ask any manufacturer to prove that every flavor is safe to add. Actually that type info might be useful - Do some flavors actually produce negative chemical reactions that may be harmful? I like natural and some flavors
    - But if a particular flavor has a health downside I'd like to know about it.

ppeeble

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 9, 2013
    Poole UK
    I wonder if the FDA need a breakdown from fruit cocktail manufacturers when they decide to mix apple with mango or banana with apricot. I'm sure there are a lot of different reactions happening..... What about 50% pear, 10% cherry, 10% apple, 20% tangerine, 5% mango and 5% cane syrup ? What happens when pears are in short supply so the percentages change ? You could go on for ever...
    If the individual ingredients are deemed to be safe then, in the absence of contradictory data, it must be assumed that the whole is safe. Otherwise we simply couldn't combine anything. Ever.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'm not telling you to try anything more with the unethical seller who did this to you, but in the future, always pay by credit card. It's funny how a seller will decide to do the right thing if you put the bad product back on their counter and say "my credit card issuer will back me up, even if you won't do the right thing". You have a limited time frame in which to dispute a credit card charge, and you have to demonstrate that you tried to settle the matter directly with the seller, keeping track of when you acted, whom you spoke to, and what their response was. Take a pic of the receipt and of the bottle expiration date for your dispute record.

I'm not saying to use the dispute process frivolously, or to use it without first trying to get the right action from the seller. It is the nuclear option, and if used without doing your own diligence first, can come back to downgrade your own credibility.

A seller can only have so many charge-backs before they lose the privilege of taking credit card payments.

The store may need your money at the moment, but obviously they think they can afford not to have your business after this one transaction. It would barely cost them anything to replace your expired bottle with a fresh one and make you a satisfied customer.

Shady SOB's.

Reactions: smacuser

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    If I'm not mistaken, and it could be federal or state laws, drinking alcohol products can not be returned
    - And with all the crazy regulations being placed on tobacco and especially vaping, it is possible that they legally could not take it back -
    Last year I ordered online from a seller I'd used for years. I received five bottles of the wrong flavor, wrong nic level, wrong pg/vg ratio on all five bottles. It was obviously someone else's order. I think the seller was in financial trouble, and I believe they have gone under. Their website doesn't work any longer. Anyway, I first emailed them by replying on the order, which was a "support@xxxx.com" email address. No reply. So then I sent a message by logging into my account, clicking "orders", clicking the specific order, and there was a messaging engine there. Tried that, no reply. So I tried phoning them twice, on two separate days during normal business hours. No answer.

So I took the nuclear option and successfully charged back through my credit card issuer. Defective or wrong is defective or wrong. Even the alcohol seller will have to somehow make amends if they deliver the wrong bottle to you, or deliver something leaking, or with broken glass in it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread