Does my idea make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twiggy1995

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2020
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
So,

As I have mentioned earlier I am interested in future, even the near future, in making my own juices.

From what I understand so far, most juices use VG, PG, and flavorings, I have also heard of folk using distilled water, some that only use VG, some only PG.

I am contemplating my first juice being a "Cherry Chocolate Cream", with most of the flavor being cherry, but also having some chocolate, and some cream to it.

While some good cloud is fun, I am mostly looking for good flavor when vaping. So I am thinking 20% flavor total would be good.

So assuming all flavors are of equal strength, would 10% Cherry, 5% Chocolate, and 5% cream make sense?

Also, should I maybe do 80/20 vg/pg, or just pg thinned out with distilled water? (from what I understand pg is what carries the flavor, vg creates more cloud), though I could have that backwards.

Fortunately there seem to be many e-juice calculators out there, so when it comes time to make the real thing, I won't have to do any mathematics to figure out how much of each to put in, in terms of ml.

Any other tips, also welcome.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
So,

As I have mentioned earlier I am interested in future, even the near future, in making my own juices.

From what I understand so far, most juices use VG, PG, and flavorings, I have also heard of folk using distilled water, some that only use VG, some only PG.

I am contemplating my first juice being a "Cherry Chocolate Cream", with most of the flavor being cherry, but also having some chocolate, and some cream to it.

While some good cloud is fun, I am mostly looking for good flavor when vaping. So I am thinking 20% flavor total would be good.

So assuming all flavors are of equal strength, would 10% Cherry, 5% Chocolate, and 5% cream make sense?

Also, should I maybe do 80/20 vg/pg, or just pg thinned out with distilled water? (from what I understand pg is what carries the flavor, vg creates more cloud), though I could have that backwards.

Fortunately there seem to be many e-juice calculators out there, so when it comes time to make the real thing, I won't have to do any mathematics to figure out how much of each to put in, in terms of ml.

Not the way it works with diy. Different brands and flavors are best used at varying percentages. On top of that taste is subjective so we can only tell you what we enjoy but you might not. DIY is not a "one size fits all".

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
So,

Fortunately, there seem to be many e-juice calculators out there, so when it comes time to make the real thing, I won't have to do any mathematics to figure out how much of each to put in, in terms of ml.

I commend you for your doing your best to work these things out ahead of time, but DIY is one of those things that takes mucking with to make sense out of...UNLESS you're going to use pre-existing recipes, which is also a very good place to begin.

Then there's a bit of magic in it all... while being a basic sleight of hand. The trick is in getting to know the flavorings well. Luckily, there's a LOT of information out there. But there's no real way that I can see to jump right to the best source.

The good news is with a calculator, some basic supplies, and some desire, you'll probably get that Cherry Chocolate Cream perfect for your tastes! Just give it time. You'll get it!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Sobucky Super Aromas are said to have good cherries but not sure where you can order from in Indonesia. Chef's in the UK is said to have reasonable shipping costs. Honestly @Twiggy1995 you might want to choose a second flavor profile easier to nail down while you experiment with the cherry chocolate profile. What other kinds of flavors do you enjoy?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@Twiggy1995 - About these posts:

The combination of chocolate and cherry is a favorite of mine. Making it a somewhat creamy eliquid is possible, too.

You don't want to assume all flavorings are of equal strength at all...because they definitely aren't. There are many different brands of flavorings and a lot of variation in their strengths because of the different ingredients and amounts of those ingredients used in them.

I do have 2 recipes that I make, that several other people really like. One of the 2 is now being made by 3 of those people, who are all fairly new to DIY. One recipe I call Cherry Chocolate Chunk, and it's the neighbor's favorite one. The other one I named Mint Chocolate Chip, but the "newbies" prefer to call it Andes Candies.

I'm pretty sure that if a couple flavorings used in the Cherry Chocolate Chunk are combined with some from the Andes Candies...you could make a good Cherry Chocolate Cream. Of course, you'd likely want to "tweak" it to suit you best, after making a small test amount according to the recipe.

If you'll PM me, I'll gladly go over what I think would likely work, what % of each to use, etc. Could also probably help you with the PG/VG ratio "stuff".

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
The combination of chocolate and cherry is a favorite of mine. Making it a somewhat creamy eliquid is possible, too.
What cherry flavoring (brand) do you use? I got mixmaster and it's terrible, plastic cherry taste. The only batch I mixed landed in the bin....

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
What cherry flavoring (brand) do you use?

Because I've always loved the cherries in the chocolate covered ones sold at Christmas time, I was going for that same cherry taste in the Cherry Chocolate Chunk. So I used TFA Maraschino Cherry flavoring. It's potent though...so I only use 1-1.25% at the most in the recipe. Here's the info I saved on it when I first bought a bottle from Wizard Labs in 2015.
From TFA: "water soluble
A very strong, true maraschino taste - the same flavor as our original maraschino, but without alcohol."

ETA: Oops! I forgot to let you know that OSDIY's One Stop Flavor "Wild Cherrylicious" (a one shot) is also very good, IMO. It can also be used as a recipe ingredient, too...not only as a one shot. I know 2 of the previously mentioned DIY newbies are using it now and really like it. Kimberly (OSDIY owner) describes it this way:
"Some say it tastes like Cherry Pie filling! Sweet and Fresh! This flavor has no VG."

Last edited:

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I haven't read the rest of the thread yet... but what you talking about is Ratios of flavors (2 parts cherry, 1 part chocolate and 1 part cream) All brands are different... one might require 5 %, another 1 % (so you can't just go by %... they can be very different) I will give you a "heads up"... cherry flavors (we have all chased that rabbit down the hole... that will be the hardest part of creating this recipe)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
BTW, that does sound delicious... chocolate and cherries (I'm more of a dark chocolate guy so would skip the cream but that's just me) This is what I have for cherry flavors (what I would try myself.... sorry, I haven't actually tried them):
(RF) Wild cherry

(INW) Cherries
Will try to recommend % later
(WF) Chocolate chunks might be a good choice too (that one I have and like it)

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Sorry, couldn't find the % on (RF) and it's also hard to find (can be ordered from Canada and it's a good company just more shipping) and (INW) cherries is strong... like 1 %. Someone posted a newer cherry flavor that sounded good (but I didn't make a note of it) Many just taste like "cough syrup" and cherry might be the hardest fruit flavor to deal with. I also love fruits with chocolate so hope you find something that works.
If you don't have issues with PG, just go with 65-70 % VG... should be fine.

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Because I've always loved the cherries in the chocolate covered ones sold at Christmas time, I was going for that same cherry taste in the Cherry Chocolate Chunk. So I used TFA Maraschino Cherry flavoring. It's potent though...so I only use 1-1.25% at the most in the recipe. Here's the info I saved on it when I first bought a bottle from Wizard Labs in 2015.
From TFA: "water soluble
A very strong, true maraschino taste - the same flavor as our original maraschino, but without alcohol."

ETA: Oops! I forgot to let you know that OSDIY's One Stop Flavor "Wild Cherrylicious" (a one shot) is also very good, IMO. It can also be used as a recipe ingredient, too...not only as a one shot. I know 2 of the previously mentioned DIY newbies are using it now and really like it. Kimberly (OSDIY owner) describes it this way:
"Some say it tastes like Cherry Pie filling! Sweet and Fresh! This flavor has no VG."
That's a hard one for me to imagine as I never tried Maraschino before :) but thanks for the suggestion of the one shot. Might try it to see if I don't like cherry flavoring whatsoever or if I was simply unlucky with the flavoring choice

Reactions: stols001

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
May 1, 2020
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Sorry, couldn't find the % on (RF) and it's also hard to find (can be ordered from Canada and it's a good company just more shipping) and (INW) cherries is strong... like 1 %. Someone posted a newer cherry flavor that sounded good (but I didn't make a note of it) Many just taste like "cough syrup" and cherry might be the hardest fruit flavor to deal with. I also love fruits with chocolate so hope you find something that works.
If you don't have issues with PG, just go with 65-70 % VG... should be fine.
I wouldn't even describe the ones I tried as cough syrup, I initially thought that my insulator or an o-ring broke and somehow got stuck to the coil and melted. Yuck

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yeah, most new cherry "flavors" are to torture children like, who have adjusted to the cough syrup brand and the one day the cough syrup is emblazoned with the legend "New, more true to life taste," and as a parent you pick it up and you say, "True dat, we have not had enough entertainment in the land of coughing in a while," and you buy some and catch your child unawares.

I like to call flavorers who enjoy cherry "former robotrippers." It's fun.

There are many other mistaken assumptions in your flavor post but I would like to clear up the one that just like, throws cherry all out there as if ANY flavor maker ever, food, what have you has EVER made a true to life, fresh cherry. It cannot be done.

But, you know you could hold on to it as some sort of a GOAL so you'd like never be finished with DIY. It's not a bad PLAN but I guestimate you to be about 1 gallon of pure salty tears and at least, oh we will say 5K away from your goal at this time.

Anna

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I have mixed fruits with chocolate (I like dark so no cream) And I have found the "candy" fruit flavors work well. I also mix in some "realistic" flavors. Together, they work well.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What you will find Very Quickly when you do DIY is that Very Few Flavors have Equal Strength.

So Yeah... You have to Start somewhere. So Give it a Shot. But Many Times you need to Compensate using a Higher Percentage for a Weaker Flavor, like a Cream. And Lower Percentage for a Dominate Flavor like Cherry.

Also, many "Dessert" mixes are Great Improved by adding a Sweetener. Especial with some Fruit and Many Chocolate Flavors.

Of course, some like it Sweeter than Others. So YMMV.

Last thing. 20% Total Flavoring can be a High. And at High Flavors, many times it Doesn't just keep Tasting Stronger. It just turns to a Chemical Meh aftertaste.

Once Again, you have to Start somewhere. But I would Start with a Lower Total Flavoring. Starting with a Lower Total Flavoring (to Me) makes it Easier to Adjust Flavoring/Sweetener Percentages.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the responses.

From what I am reading, the cherry flavour may be the most difficult part of a juice like this.

I guess my first course of action may be just to make a straight cherry, no other flavor first, just to figure out how much of it tastes good.

Straight Cherry is/was the Hardest thing I ever tried to make. And I went thru Many Brands and Many Mixes before I said Enough is Enough.

LOL

DIY Tip #78: A Cherry base with a Drop or Two of Strawberry is a Good Straight Cherry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread