does the sweetner.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyfatherof1

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Bowling Green Ky
gunk up carts faster than non sweetened? sorry for the dumb question. we(wifey and I) are brand new to TV and love the flavors we have tried so far. we are huge peppemint vapers. the tin box is awesome and I love the orange cream pop. but I am killing carts left and right where i used to get a week or two now its a day at best. I am assuming since I requested sweetener in the nic juice and the doublers it might be gunking them up. Is there a happy medium? or a solution to the gunked carts? thank you for all the advice

zer0ith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2011
Burlington, Ontario
I am a little curious about this too.

On my standard Reo Woodvil I use to get about 3-5 days with a smok 1.7 carto.

On my VV Woodvil I'm getting like 1-2 days (and I'm not running them that hot).

It does seem to be killing them a bit quicker with the sweetener. But I have limited experience with this.

TheBlueAdept

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2010
Northern California
Same here, have seen a slight decrease (did not analyze this so will not presume to guess a number) in carto lifespan as well compared to juices from other vendors I have. I use smoktek 6ml tanks with both single and dual coil cartos, in 2, 2.5 and 3 ohms. I don't run hot either, always low enough to get a reasonable amount of vapor.

It's only a slight decrease and I love my tv juices so much it doesn't bug me, but am curious now that I see others mentioning it.

Sent from my phone; Please excuse typos / autocorrections.

Gribeau

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
San Antontio, TX
I've noticed a sharp decrease in the useful lifespan of my cartos when using sweetened juice from TV versus unsweetened. My evidence is strictly anecdotal, I haven't been doing any scientific testing, but even in juice where the only difference (that I'm aware of) is the presence of sweetener the lifespan drops significantly.

My experience with sweetened juice is that I tend to move about 4-5Ml through the cart before it needs to be traded out due to flavor loss. I normally get more like 10-15Ml from unsweetened juice before flavor loss became unacceptable. That's a pretty ferocious increase in carto costs, relatively speaking, but in the grand scheme of things it's still cheaper/healthier/tastier than smoking.

I suspect that a thorough washing would bring the carts back up to par, but thus far I've been too lazy to muck around with it.

I am also unsure as to whether using a tank would alleviate the problem at all, but I've been thinking about trying one to find out.

Steamin' E.

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
Mexico
I am pretty sure the sucralose caramelizes in the carto, shortening its lifespan. Sucralose, keep in mind, is composed of a sugar molecule that has three chlorine atoms bound to it, so in the end, it's likely to behave like sugar under the heat of vaping.

I've suggested to Geoff in the past that Rebaudioside-A (one of the super-sweet compounds of the Stevia herb, and the only one of those compounds that has no aftertaste) be experimented with as a possible alternative to sucralose. I think Reb-A would vastly improve carto lifespan because much less of the potent sweetener would need to be added in order to achieve the same sweetness effect.

My suggestion was rejected because of aftertaste concerns about Stevia (which is a problem, indeed, with all Stevia compounds except for Reb-A), as well as the idea that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and the fact that "cartos are so cheap, it doesn't matter if their lifespan is shortened a bit by sucralose."

I think that, one day, Reb-A will be the vaping industry standard.

TVChris

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Oakland, CA
As much as the sweetener may or may not caramelize in the cartos, there are flavorings and flavoring additive that clog cartos when used in unsweetened juices. Switching to a new sweetener (like Reb-A) might help, might not, might be hazardous (when ingvaporized), might not.....really don't know, but sure don't want to test it on myself or paying unsuspecting customers. It's kinda one of those "I want my cake and eat it too" deals. We know some flavors clog cartos faster than others, but with any of our juices if you are loosing a carto in an hour........it ain't the liquid.

unirevolt

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2011
MD
Gribeau said:
...I am also unsure as to whether using a tank would alleviate the problem at all, but I've been thinking about trying one to find out.

In my LavaTank I get about 3 tankfulls before needing to change out... I go through a tank in about 1.5 days.

I'd have to agree with the sentiment that cartos are cheap enough... I pay a little over $1 per carto which would last me roughly 4 days. I've tried the non sweetened version of the juice I usually vape. It just seemed to be missing something....tha sweetna

Mind you the resistance might also play a part. I'm using Boge LR, maybe the SR would have a slightly longer lifespan? I like LR and my juice sweetened, I'm willing to pay a buck every few days for some yummtastic juice.

my >.01

Gribeau

ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2010
San Antontio, TX
In my LavaTank I get about 3 tankfulls before needing to change out...

So, assuming that your tank is 3-6Ml, you're pushing between 9 and 18Ml of sweetened fluid through it before the cart needs to be swapped out?

That's a small improvement over what I'm getting on the low end, plus it gives the benefit of lasting longer between refills versus a standard carto. On the higher end of the scale it would be a very impressive gain in lifespan.

TVChris

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Oakland, CA
i was more curious about the flavor of stronger flavors like peppermint or ac if someone didnt add the sweetner. is it just bland without? remember i am new so dumb questions are sure to follow!!! thank you for the help

That's a good question. AC doesn't use sweetener. It has so much cinnamon oil, which is naturally sweet, adding more puts it so far over the top sweet we don't offer sweetener with it. But peppermint and others similar, if you expect it to taste sweet, then without sweetener it taste like it's missing something to most (not all) people. If you want to experiment, order one without sweetener and try it. If it doesn't taste right you can always add sweetener (I think a 15ml bottle of sucralose is $2 on our website)
TVChris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread