Status
Not open for further replies.

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
Perhaps some kelpie? Personality and marking fit, perhaps she is big for a kelpie. Can tell from that photo.

I'll have to look that up. I'm not familiar with Kelpies. HEARD of them, but I haven't ever met one. Missy is 50 pounds, give or take. She could do ANY job on the planet. She thinks, and figures things out. She wears a freaking BOARD on her collar when she's outside because it's the ONLY thing we've found that will keep her in the fence. Our poor fence is a hodgepodge of 4 or 5 different layers of things we've "tried putting up to keep her in," and NONE of them worked. So she has this silly board (it's not heavy, but it's wide) to keep her from going through the squares in the fence. Up above the smaller-mesh fencing, and the chicken wire... :facepalm: She can climb, too. Oy.

If we didn't already have the Pyrs as our livestock dogs, I'd just let her run the property and be The Farm Dog. She'd love it. But the first time she chases a chicken, one of the big dogs will thump her, and she fights back, and it can get ugly. I've had to get between them before, and it's not something I'd ever want to do again if I could help it. So, she has to stay in her "small" 1/2 acre house-dog yard next to the house.

She just wants to be in charge of EVERYTHING. ROFL!

~Lannie

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
I'll have to look that up. I'm not familiar with Kelpies. HEARD of them, but I haven't ever met one. Missy is 50 pounds, give or take. She could do ANY job on the planet. She thinks, and figures things out. She wears a freaking BOARD on her collar when she's outside because it's the ONLY thing we've found that will keep her in the fence. Our poor fence is a hodgepodge of 4 or 5 different layers of things we've "tried putting up to keep her in," and NONE of them worked. So she has this silly board (it's not heavy, but it's wide) to keep her from going through the squares in the fence. Up above the smaller-mesh fencing, and the chicken wire... :facepalm: She can climb, too. Oy.

If we didn't already have the Pyrs as our livestock dogs, I'd just let her run the property and be The Farm Dog. She'd love it. But the first time she chases a chicken, one of the big dogs will thump her, and she fights back, and it can get ugly. I've had to get between them before, and it's not something I'd ever want to do again if I could help it. So, she has to stay in her "small" 1/2 acre house-dog yard next to the house.

She just wants to be in charge of EVERYTHING. ROFL!

~Lannie

haha sounds like a great dog! Her weight is kelpie size and the personality and intelligence fit too. Like Border Collies there is a great deal of variation in coat color.

TruSound

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2011
Granada Hills, Ca
Say hello to Gonzo, he's my vape-mail alarm and local vape shop mascot.
imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg3.jpg

A9D2D1A6-1FA2-4C56-AE44-BE595D80BBFB.jpg

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
There used to be a veterinary clinic on the corner of Rt. 100 in Hillsville VA
Me and my GF found a sick to near death mutt in the road about 8 miles from there.
The first place we saw that had a light on was the clinic.
The vet was a good guy.
He gave her a free checkup, ran bloodwork and gave us some meds to get her going.

Virginia (my chowbrador) bacame my best friend for the next 12 years.
She trusted me completely, climbed Mt. Washington in NH with us, swam in a pool downriver from Niagara Falls with us, copiloted my Talon TSI down the racetrack at 100+MPH, slept in the car with me for about a week at The Grand Canyon, barked at badazz marmots up the Mt from Estes Park CO and introduced me to a nice vacationing veterinarian lady that made my stay oh so nice at Key West.

Best friend ever somewhere in the Rocky Mountains

24424164671_0704d3258b_b.jpg

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Apologize if this post will seem a downer. Have an older dog, Thistle. He's a mutt of Pit Bull and Lab mix.

Within the last six to nine months he has developed what I speculate is cancer. It is in a nasty spot for him too, around his bum. Me & wife already discussed it all.

I applied old black vet ointment on it in case it had been gadflies. The hopes were whatever was in him would be drawn out, and he'd be healed up. I did this two weeks solid.

I waited a week between, then hit him with the ointment another week. Repeated this process three times. There was no avail.

He has since gradually been doing well enough it seems. Yes, I can tell there are times of pain. I know he hurts a bit now and then.

Yesterday, I was near taking a walk with him. It has gotten cold here in WV, obviously. Well, father-in-law suggested giving him a bit. He's old, just arthritis a bit, weather breaks he'll feel better.

Today he does indeed seem a bit better. I had him in a pen with other dogs, younger ones. Well, one other really. The other two hop out of the pen.

He was playing with the other dog the day before. They were a happy pair. So, today he's a bit better after being moved back up to the cat barn.

It is smaller, got better wind cutting. And he only needs to be concerned about two very mellow tom cats. They got no problem sharing their barn with him. Where as the younger dogs seem to be being a_holes.

I noted today too he had a religious moment. That's what I call my kids doing the doo. And I think yesterday he had a visit from that Hung Chow guy with the a_hole dogs around.

We really cannot afford the vet, nor do I really want my suspicion confirmed. Figure all the vet would offer would be to put him down. Rather my old fellow have his dignity. I'm watching for the really bad sign, from him.

He won't suffer long, if at all. Just hate to ... well. Papas ought not have to, but we do. Sorry to be a downer. Appreciate moral support. Not looking for pity, empathy maybe. Just kind of in a haze.

Excuse me, it's time to make rounds.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
That sucks Myst. Sometimes all we can do is make them comfortable.
It was the hardest decision of my life when I had to put my dog with cancer down.
She could probably have lasted a few weeks longer but she wasn't having any joy anymore.
No joy, only pain, no chance of recovery, I had the vet send her off on my dining room floor.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
That sucks Myst. Sometimes all we can do is make them comfortable.
It was the hardest decision of my life when I had to put my dog with cancer down.
She could probably have lasted a few weeks longer but she wasn't having any joy anymore.
No joy, only pain, no chance of recovery, I had the vet send her off on my dining room floor.

Yep. It does blow chunks.

Not sure I can let a vet put him down though. When that time does arrive, I at least owe him being the one. He's a good old hound. The kind you have that you know if it come to would take a bullet for you. Country boy enough here too that I likely would take one for him as well.

Sort of dog that if he didn't like you, or sensed you being off, well you figure I'll not like you either. He is very friendly otherwise and not got a mean bone. I do not keep mean or dumb dogs. Most have been rescues what got little glitches and obviously from mistreatment in the past. They come to me and know Papa, know love, know discipline but not abuse.

And of course, almost all my dogs are smart A's like papa. *grin* Thistle for example told me he was a Boxer born into the wrong body. I chuckled at him. My mistake. He took to boxing my nose, mean right hook, too.

Funny in a way, I guess it could be argued I do mistreat them. I spoil them rotten, or my wife does. I understand having faced abuse. That lets me see they need loving. Got plenty for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread