• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Dorian: here we go again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
So I was gonna ask @MacTechVpr how things were shaping up further south, but then I looked more precisely where he is and realized he's so far south that he's missed most of the excitement.

We need a report from Cocoa Beach about now...

Thx Ross, we live in interesting times. Hope ur beach now better survives and your neighbor doesn't sail. Seems we were all spared some serious misery. Those who can might consider helping the folks offshore if so inclined. But for…

Good luck all. :)

Burnie

The Bug Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2009
Sunny Florida
upload_2019-9-4_6-16-29.png

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Only if you consider the overall impact of a storm over time. A CAT 2 storm could deliver as much of a punch as one of greater measured (snapshot) category if stationary or slow moving, sea water temps being conducive. It's about exposure and not merely intensity.

Andrew's destructiveness came from the very broad cross-section of its hurricane force winds. It caused extensive damage and loss for a considerable distance from the formidable winds near its center. It was a fast moving dry storm which took about 5.5hrs to cross Dade County. Dorian parked a 24hr tsunami on N Abaco as the wind and rain battering continued. Wave and water force are far more destructive than the wind itself, including heavy rainfall. Combined, well…were seeing it.

We need to be cautious about all the potentials of any severe storm.

Good luck. :)

p.s. 80% of the Bahamas lies less than a meter above sea level.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Doesn't look too bad now.

Center of Dorian is pretty much in the direction my my cam is pointed right now:
uvCluMk.jpg

My neighbor's cam:
SoCSfLY.jpg

The real test will be early this afternoon around high tide, but from what I can see on the Windy model, the wind should be pushing water outward by then, coming from the NW, which will help.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
The tide is mostly in now:

244ZsVn.jpg

zoFWBDT.jpg

And the ocean is getting pretty sporty:

kXgD6qv.jpg

ETA: You can see from the patterns of the spray on those breakers that the wind is pushing away from shore. If it was the other way right now, we'd be screwed.

Last edited:

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
We are sitting outside watching those clouds do their dance!

A few bursts of healthy winds last night but really, not much more than our usual rainstorms. Rain bands still coming, but on the safe side, we are not becoming complacent. Ya just never know with Mother Nature!

We are so grateful that it wasn't worse.

Oh, and I didn't have to go into the closet! ;) Slept like a baby in our bed!

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Only if you consider the overall impact of a storm over time. A CAT 2 storm could deliver as much of a punch as one of greater measured (snapshot) category if stationary or slow moving, sea water temps being conducive. It's about exposure and not merely intensity.

Andrew's destructiveness came from the very broad cross-section of its hurricane force winds. It caused extensive damage and loss for a considerable distance from the formidable winds near its center. It was a fast moving dry storm which took about 5.5hrs to cross Dade County. Dorian parked a 24hr tsunami on N Abaco as the wind and rain battering continued. Wave and water force are far more destructive than the wind itself, including heavy rainfall. Combined, well…were seeing it.

We need to be cautious about all the potentials of any severe storm.

Good luck. :)

p.s. 80% of the Bahamas lies less than a meter above sea level.
The part I found most interesting was about how global warming is affecting hurricanes.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
The part I found most interesting was about how global warming is affecting hurricanes.

Yes I'm curious too. As we've been enjoying one of the coolest hurricane free summers in the Atlantic that I can recall. There are reasons, certainly many. But I'm not sure I'm smart enough to figure it out. Bound to be some out there think they can. Not sure about that either. I have enough trouble with coils.

Good luck. :D

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Well I guess this is it then. Here's hoping this is it for this hurricane season.

BTW, before this thread closes down, can someone help me with an issue? Not Dorian-related…sorry. Somehow I don't seem to get notified on new threads in this forum. For instance the one @Rossum started titled "land of hurricanes". I found it today …accidentally.

I checked and I do follow this forum so what's going on?

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    Well I guess this is it then. Here's hoping this is it for this hurricane season.

BTW, before this thread closes down, can someone help me with an issue? Not Dorian-related…sorry. Somehow I don't seem to get notified on new threads in this forum. For instance the one @Rossum started titled "land of hurricanes". I found it today …accidentally.

I checked and I do follow this forum so what's going on?

Did you check to see that 'watch forum' is still checked? I don't remember ever being 'notified' of a new thread, just alerts when a new post in a thread happens.

I am sure someone else will know more.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    The window my camera is behind is still kinda slimed up from the storm, but I can see the ocean has returned to typical summer calm already:

8KRVSwq.jpg

I don't really understand why, but a calm ocean rebuilds the beaches.

We'll probably be starting our trip southbound on Monday. I still have a few more things I wanna get done at the cabin, so probably won't be back in FL until late next week.

Reactions: Iffy

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    We'll probably be starting our trip southbound on Monday. I still have a few more things I wanna get done at the cabin, so probably won't be back in FL until late next week.

OK - Here's a heads-up Ya' may want to wait a couple of weeks before coming back . . . Not bad enough, "Dorian" is till going up the coast towards the NE . . . FYI: Article from the Local South Florida Sun Sentinel Paper today . . . .
    Hurricane season is getting busier
    By Brett Clarkson
    Dorian. Fernand. Gabrielle. And two disturbances. The Atlantic hurricane zone is a busy place.​
    Three of them appear to not be a risk to Florida at this point while one is taking shape in the area where many of the worst U.S.-bound hurricanes in history have formed.
    Tropical Storm Fernand, which formed Tuesday off the northeastern coast of Mexico, is projected to come ashore in Mexico Wednesday. No risk to Florida.
    Tropical Storm Gabrielle, which took shape early Wednesday in the far Atlantic Ocean, is projected to move to the northwest across the open ocean, remaining far away from the United States.
    Disturbance 1, which has a 50% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone, is near Bermuda and forecast to move in the opposite direction of the U.S.

But the so-called Disturbance 2, a tropical wave rolling off the African coast, is worth watching. With a 60% chance of becoming at least a tropical depression over the weekend or early next week, the disturbance is coming to life in an area that acts as an incubator for major hurricanes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread