• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Dorian: here we go again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
I suppose Flagler County wants to be seen doing something ahead of the storm again. A couple of hours ago, they dumped a big pile of sand at beach end of our road. I don't think this is going to do any good at all.

mGwAFz9.jpg

Two years ago, just ahead of Irma, these clowns were scraping sand off the beach to plug some holes in the dunes:

L8kAArR.jpg

Well...ok then

:confused:

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2016
Florida
Too easy, yet I'd rather be glued to it than a flashing tube of screeching heads proselytizing the end of the world and faking reporters on the ground in their wet suits. A cautionary tale here. I liked the old normal. Sometimes more is a lot less.

Good luck. :)
or those poor saps (usually cub reporters) standing in the rain, or almost being swept away by the strong winds, or - and this is the epitome of idiocy - reporters asking hurricane victims how they felt or what went thru their minds.

Flowersoul

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2009
NE Florida
We're doing OK here in Palm Coast.......everything is set for as good as it can be, and have a bag packed......*just in case* but we do not have a mandatory evac order. I keep tabs on the local gov directives and of course my friends who in a lot of instances, have more concrete information! None of us in our local neighborhood usually get mandatory orders and except for volunteers, we usually stay......we sat through the big three in '04, but with Irma, we did leave cause we had an emergency in N.Carolina........so it was a twoferone.
Because I cannot tolerate the noise of that wind, I have my ear buds ready, then my ear phones on top of them, and burying my head in the pillow that will accompany me in one of the interior closets on my Yoga mat with our dog, Abby! :) Husband is free to join me!;)

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    We're doing OK here in Palm Coast.......everything is set for as good as it can be, and have a bag packed......*just in case* but we do not have a mandatory evac order.
    Some parts of Palm Coast do have a mandatory evacuation order:
    Welcome to Flagler County, Florida
    PDF map here.

But look at the bright side, ya don't have to deal with stuff like this in the winter. (That was the driveway to our cabin in SW VA last November).

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    PDF map here.

But look at the bright side, ya don't have to deal with stuff like this in the winter. (That was the driveway to our cabin in SW VA last November).
    there…now you've done it…posted a photo with that awful white stuff :shock:. I'll take 90 degrees and 99% humidity (both here today) anytime over it:rolleyes::p:D:lol:

WhiteHighlights

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 26, 2013
    MetroWest Boston, MA, USA
    PDF map here.

ROFL. I had a discussion with the DH today about moving south when we retired. FL is not an option in his mind, VA or maybe SC is the best I can get (as of now). I'm watching because I care about all of you in the possible path. There's lots of hype here in the news too.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    FL is not an option in his mind
    It never was in mine either, but my wife insisted, and you know what they say about a happy wife...

Now I've come to really enjoy the time we spend there, but I don't think I could have it as my only home. If it were my only home, it would have to be a hurricane-proof fortress. Yes, it's possible to build such a thing, but it's probably cheaper to have two homes than to do build one that way.

Bea-FL

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 7, 2016
    Florida
    ROFL. I had a discussion with the DH today about moving south when we retired. FL is not an option in his mind, VA or maybe SC is the best I can get (as of now). I'm watching because I care about all of you in the possible path. There's lots of hype here in the news too.
    Keep working on your hubby. North FL is very similar to SC for day to day life, housing costs. A bit hotter but cheaper to live here overall. We don't pay state taxes and our SS is not taxed.

It never was in mine either, but my wife insisted, and you know what they say about a happy wife...

Now I've come to really enjoy the time we spend there, but I don't think I could have it as my only home. If it were my only home, it would have to be a hurricane-proof fortress. Yes, it's possible to build such a thing, but it's probably cheaper to have two homes than to do build one that way.
    And we're glad to have you :wub:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    We're getting (very) outer bands here, off and on driving rain and sunshine. Come on Dorian, it's time to :censored: or get off the pot :|
    Patience, Grasshopper! I expect you'll get :censored: on quite a bit tomorrow.

But I don't think it will be all that bad for anyone who isn't right on the coast. :oops:

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    Patience, Grasshopper! I expect you'll get :censored: on quite a bit tomorrow.

But I don't think it will be all that bad for anyone who isn't right on the coast. :oops:

I'm trying :confused:

The problem here is if winds reach 40 mph, the bridges get closed down. You don't get very far in Jax without crossing a bridge. I'm frustrated because my boss can't decide whether we are closing or not which makes it hard to plan. Right now I'm spending way too much on labor just in case.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread