Dr. Whelan Speaks Out - Washington Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Second, other sites doing re-prints. As you can see, in 24 hours, NYDaylyNews.com (6mil hits/mo), Canada.com (.75 mil hits/mo), tobacco.org already picked it up. Within a month, you'll see hundreds, if not thousands re-prints clogging up the Net with "distorted, incomplete and misleading statements of FDA" + "electronic cigarette" and variations thereof.

Third, is exposure. Thousands saw it yesterday, and will continue to see it for weeks to come. DIGG is also monitored by major news organization. If story cracks page one, it's obviously worth the air time. Many "investigative journalism" stories are born on DIGG. The chance of major network doing a followup is much grater than it was 24 hours ago.

Sadly, many potential new users will have made up their minds with the initial FDA story. There is an adage in the media of "accusation, page one - retraction page 27" Unless (as you mention) the story gets close to the same press as the original story (sequals are rarely as popular) then we're still coming in second in the war.

Of course it is still a fantastic volley!

tannerk

ECF Veteran
Sadly, many potential new users will have made up their minds with the initial FDA story. There is an adage in the media of "accusation, page one - retraction page 27" Unless (as you mention) the story gets close to the same press as the original story (sequals are rarely as popular) then we're still coming in second in the war.

Of course it is still a fantastic volley!

Oh yes, you're absolutely right. But I can tell you this with certainty - yesterday, as e-cig community, we have accomplished more than don't-want-to-drop-names-here.

clinneer

ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2009
Texas
I heard this story yesterday on NPR & thought it was a reasonably fair look at the issue-
E-Cigarettes: The New Frontier In War On Smoking

And in regards to Dr Whelans article, we need more Drs to speak out like this. I have read & heard a number of anecdotal stories about people who made the switch to e-cigs, and then gone to their Dr or dentist and had them comment on "oh, so you finally quit smoking?" Heck the final deciding factor for me to make the switch was my friend talking about how much healthier he feels since he switched about 2 months ago. And his dentist recently made that same comment to him- "so you finally quit smoking?" So hey everybody- if you've experianced the healthy benefits of e-cigs, why not use some of that $$ your saving & make an appointment with your family doctor. Surprise them, educate them, & maybe convert them to an advocate!

tannerk

ECF Veteran

Shan123

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Tampa, FL USA
I have no intention of wading through all these posts, but can tell you from personal experience that e-smoking could not have a better friend than Dr. Elizabeth Whelan. I first began reading her many years ago, when I was health editor at a major newspaper. Always, she was on-target, the voice of reason is a world of faddish crap and "alternative" junk stuff.

She is respected. Believe that.

By some, perhaps, but Whelan is not universally respected, not by a long shot. Her reputation is that of corporate lobbyist and apologist. And there's a reason ACSH stopped disclosing its donor list years ago. Monsanto? ADM? Scaife Foundations? Ouch...

AMERICAN COUNCIL ON SCIENCE AND HEALTH: Integrity in Science: A CSPI Project

HRT? GMOs? Trans fats? Chantix? Not really problems, according to ACSH. You can search the acsh.org site and see for yourself. On the other hand, those locavores and organic gardeners? Scary. Here's ACSH in action:
Little Crop of Horrors | The Daily Show | Comedy Central
This is precisely the sort of thing I am afraid will happen with PVs, courtesy of *friends* like this. The Daily Show is respected and, more to the point, shapes a lot of opinion, period.

If Whelan's article generates any discussion, her reputation and ACSH's will be noted and used to our disadvantage. Many will dismiss what she has to say outright, precisely because of her history. Just don't be surprised when it happens. I hope we find better friends... PDQ.

emmavoberry

Jul 4, 2008
Can we digg Whalen feature article? This sort of thing needs to be encouraged--no matter the source--if media gets wind of the popularity of the e-cig, they will do positive stories. Emma P.S. Best one I have tried so far is called "PureSmoker," but I don't know if it's the same as the one on the online site. Got it at my local smoke shop--the atomizer gets changed every 10 cartridges--it puffs good and no problem so far. Don't know the "style of, whether 901 or whatever. Kinda long. Emma been lurking, this my first post

chad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 6, 2009
NY, USA
cybervapor.com
Can we digg Whalen feature article? This sort of thing needs to be encouraged--no matter the source--if media gets wind of the popularity of the e-cig, they will do positive stories. Emma P.S. Best one I have tried so far is called "PureSmoker," but I don't know if it's the same as the one on the online site. Got it at my local smoke shop--the atomizer gets changed every 10 cartridges--it puffs good and no problem so far. Don't know the "style of, whether 901 or whatever. Kinda long. Emma been lurking, this my first post

Hiya Emma! You can Digg for sure!

smiley7

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2009
Missouri
Here is a reply I got back from my Senator on an e-mail that I sent some time back.
Dear Mrs. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Family Smoking Prevention & Tobacco Control Act (S. 982). I appreciate your comments and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, this legislation would give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate tobacco products. Tobacco products are among the least regulated products sold in America. Tobacco products today are exempt from basic health regulations that apply to other consumer products, such as food, drugs and even lipstick. This bill would require larger, more effective health warnings on tobacco products, prohibit terms such as "light," "mild" and "low-tar" that mislead consumers into believing that certain cigarettes are safer and protect kids by regulating advertising and banning candy-flavored cigarettes. For over two decades, Congress has debated the FDA regulation of tobacco. As the leading scientific agency for consumer protection, it is essential that the FDA has the authority to oversee a product that is responsible for nearly 400,000 deaths a year.

The final bill, H.R. 1256, passed both in the Senate and the House and was signed by the President into law on June 22, 2009. I have been a cosponsor of this bill every year I have been in the Senate, and I am proud that it is now law. This legislation will protect America's children from the hazards of tobacco products and the illnesses that result from long term tobacco use.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to share your views. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future regarding other matters of interest or concern to you.

All best,
Senator Claire McCaskill

P. S. You may sign up for my email newsletter at Senator Claire McCaskill : Missouri .
I just replied this back to her.
Senator McCaskill. thanks for your reply to my e-mail. I can appreciate your concern over tobacco products and their health problems. I was also concerned & this is why I tried the E-cigarette. It is helping me to stay away from the deadly carcinogens in real cigarettes. If you don't mind, would you please read this article by Dr. Whelan which might help to understand them a little better.
There is a fabulous article in Washington Times by Dr. Elizabeth Whelan FDA smoke screen on e-cigarettes - Washington Times Thank you again for your response.

Shan123

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Tampa, FL USA
OT, but Vocalek: That was one HELL of a great comment you posted over at the Injury Board blog! (I'm still on the Notify When There's A New Comment list.) I hope you've posted it here somewhere (haven't scanned the whole forum yet, but figured you'd still be seeing this thread).

Consumer Product Safety Commission. Toothpicks as medical device. The whole thing was brilliant and bears repeating all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread