Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I didn't want to hijack a thread (if that's even possible around here), so I thought I'd start another one. I imagine pictures of other drip tips can be posted as we collect them.

This is the Black Rainbow tip I just got. It must have a groove for the o-rings to fit in, but they are very tight and I'm not going to mess with them. I didn't notice it has a couple of little bubbles until I took the picture. I can't feel them.

zzeh.jpg

This is a lampwork tip. There is a much larger groove for an o-ring (the bottom is on the right). I took the o-ring out because it kept getting stuck in cartos and the bottom is wide enough that it doesn't slip out anyway. Drip tip o-rings come in different thicknesses and I have a feeling this one had the wrong size when I got it. I've seen a number of vendors who sell glass tips purposely without o-rings. I've also seen a couple that sell a thingy that looks sort of like a carto, which a blown glass tube slides over.

4s28.jpg

Upside down you can see that the bottom is wonky, but it doesn't affect performance. It's also pretty unnoticeable unless you're taking pictures.

1uey.jpg

The two glass bottoms side-by-side

t4sx.jpg

This is a Sodalite TruStone tip. TruStone is real powdered stone mixed with an acrylic resin, then hand-turned around a metal tube. It's the same material high-end pens are made of, so if you go to a pen-making site you can see "blanks" of the colors available (there aren't many). The sites also have acrylic blanks in lots of different colors that can be used to make tips. Tommy @ Mr. vape, who made this one, said he would make any shape or color we can find. His prices are in-line or better than other vendors making similar tips.

vd3e.jpg

b93r.jpg

mgl1.jpg

Last edited:

Codz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2013
Lancashire
I like the look of that black rainbow and the blue sodalite one too. I'm not usually too fussy with drip tips, but i have a small gold titanium one i really like, but my favourite is just a cheap red and black popular design acrylic one.

The only ones i have come across that i didnt like were the one thats incorporated into the original protank and the huge thick heavy monster that comes on the trident rba.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I like the look of that black rainbow and the blue sodalite one too. I'm not usually too fussy with drip tips, but i have a small gold titanium one i really like, but my favourite is just a cheap red and black popular design acrylic one.

The only ones i have come across that i didnt like were the one thats incorporated into the original protank and the huge thick heavy monster that comes on the trident RBA.

The ones I use most often are simple ss pawns. I got used to ss when I was trying to find gear my favorite juice wouldn't melt and I just got used to them.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy

The only ones i have come across that i didnt like were the one thats incorporated into the original protank and the huge thick heavy monster that comes on the trident RBA.

I know what you mean. I hate these with a passion. Also the one from the RSST and I don't remember where the one with the ? over it came from.

2013-11-05191043_20131105_191102_zpsb5af4dba.jpg

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Thanks for the pix Princess Ocelot!

We had asked her before to post some pix of her glass drip tip bases, so we could see how they were made (and of course, see all her varieties also).

But getting to see everyone's drip tips close up is a great idea too:)!!! Thanks for posting them everyone:)!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I know what you mean. I hate these with a passion. Also the one from the RSST and I don't remember where the one with the ? over it came from.

2013-11-05191043_20131105_191102_zpsb5af4dba.jpg

Looks familiar... I have one RSST that I could sort of accept the DT it came with (but did change it out anyway with the black/orange I pictured in this thread); and two of those clone Tridents (one gold/one SS) from Fasttech that came with the worst drip tip setup I think I've ever seen.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Looks familiar... I have one RSST that I could sort of accept the DT it came with (but did change it out anyway with the black/orange I pictured in this thread); and two of those clone Tridents (one gold/one SS) from Fasttech that came with the worst drip tip setup I think I've ever seen.

Exactly! My Tridents are also from FT. I sometimes wondered if the originals have those same horrible tips.

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
Thanks for the pictures!! I see those medicine bottle lids are good for lots of things.

Doesn't it look like the rainbow one is just flared tubing? They might make the bottom piece first, then grind the grooves with a lathe. Then the topper is made and attached to the bottom?

The other one, do you think it was made on a mandrel? It looks frosted inside.

Love all the drip tip eye candy!!

Thanks for the pix Princess Ocelot!

We had asked her before to post some pix of her glass drip tip bases, so we could see how they were made (and of course, see all her varieties also).

But getting to see everyone's drip tips close up is a great idea too:)!!! Thanks for posting them everyone:)!

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
I'm thinking exactly what you're thinking Susan... first one is a flared tube to catch the rubber orings, the other is a ground down mandrel made tip.

Hrm... still thinking there's an easier way to do the bottom part. As for the grinding, the groove is really the pain, because it's 1 mm wide. If you have to break out the dremel for that, it wouldn't take much to slip and pop it right through, trashing the entire piece. I'm still thinking about molds...

glassgal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
Central Florida
www.azenglass.com
Here are my small family..
my fav combo is on the right, and my worst tip on the left
XlnrqCe.jpg

That's interesting info:)!

Is the reason you like the ones on the right better because you like how they fit between your lips? I have been noticing that despite the actual top diameter of tips being roughly the same, the tips that don't have a 'bead' at the end are more comfortable to use...

Susan W.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Torrance, CA
The grooves have to be done on a lathes so there's no slippage and so the cut is exact all the way around. I'm thinking you're right about going the mold route. Seems like that will be the easiest and cleanest way to do it.

I'm thinking exactly what you're thinking Susan... first one is a flared tube to catch the rubber orings, the other is a ground down mandrel made tip.

Hrm... still thinking there's an easier way to do the bottom part. As for the grinding, the groove is really the pain, because it's 1 mm wide. If you have to break out the dremel for that, it wouldn't take much to slip and pop it right through, trashing the entire piece. I'm still thinking about molds...

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
That's interesting info:)!

Is the reason you like the ones on the right better because you like how they fit between your lips? I have been noticing that despite the actual top diameter of tips being roughly the same, the tips that don't have a 'bead' at the end are more comfortable to use...

Actually my preferences are mostly based on looks, the one on the left is really comfortable but I can't get past the ugly ugly looks, so don't use it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread