Las Vegas/San Francisco
You the following.

fa35246ebe90021cff24dab2d23cd2d2.jpg

dopamine1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2014
ohio
I recently built a dual micro coil with 8 wraps each. I used 26 gauge kanthal on a 1/16 drill bit. First question is, is that ok? Im new to this stuff and im just curious. Number two, what ohms should this be coming in at? Thank you for the help!
That's definitely pretty far into sub ohm territory. You really, really should not run that build without testing it with a good multimeter or ohm reader. Depending on your batteries it could be OK, or it could be extremely dangerous. But for all you know it's a dead short and that's not safe on any battery. You need a way to measure it. Also check out the coil and power drain calculators on steam-engine.org, AFTER you have a way to check your coils resistance.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I know i have the proper mech mod and atomizer. Im running a hades mod along with a TOBH atomizer. The battery im using is a MNKE high drain IMR 26650, 3,500 mAh. I just havent had the time to purchase an ohm reader yet.
+1 on getting that ohm reader before you start using your build.

Good battery, but only 20A continuous. Your build may need a higher amp battery to give you a little headroom. I don't use 26650's but I saw this next battery on Baditudes blog below: Panasonic 26650 CGR2650A 26650mAh 50A.

Battery Basics for Mods: IMR or Protected ICR?
* choose the safest and right battery for your applications here. Includes a list of name brand, high-drain, safe-chemistry batteries with mAh & amp ratings in 18350, 18490/18500, and 18650 sizes.

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Coiling Calculator

Here are a few links for you regarding building coils and getting the resistance just where you want it:
1. Steam Engine
2. Coil Toy Calculator

Make sure to check your build with an ohm reader or DMM before putting it on your mod and firing it. (This statement goes in all my posts with links to the above calculators.)

The Steam Engine is much more than just a coil calculator. I consider it my "All in One" vaping calculator.

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Yep agree with all of the suggestions above. Running that build (based on what you are saying and not actual measurements), that comes out EXTREMELY low for someone building their first coil. Whether or not you believe you have the right mod and battery is irrelevant. If you don't have the proper tools to check everything and be extremely certain that you are comfortable with the stress it will put on your battery, I would say hold off until you get a meter.

I would even suggest a more accurate multimeter like the one on the top of eratikminds photo for builds like this as the cheap ohm readers are not always super accurate and when you're playing with builds this low a .1 ohm variance could be the difference between low and extremely dangerous.

Please make sure safety is absolutely your #1 priority when building anything, regardless of the resistance.

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Ill be sure to head over to my local vape shop and pick up an ohm reader and check to see if they have a higher amp battery! I do need a 26650 cause thats all that'll fit in this hades! I popped my coil on my itaste mvp and checked the ohm's on it from that but it just comes up as 0.0 due to the fact its only a 2 digit reader.

If the ohm reader on your MVP is only a 2 digit reader and you're getting 0.0 reading, then either you are at a dead short or too close to one for me. I wouldn't touch that thing until you get a multi-meter at this point. Ohm readers are nice, but at the range you are at, you need as close to 100% accuracy as you can get, and I doubt you're going to get that from a $15 ohm reader, honestly. .0-anything is critically low. Far too low to vape IMO.

I use a multi-meter for anything below .5 because even a .1 ohm swing when you are playing that low can be a gigantic difference. I mean, I hate to sound like I'm trying to scare you, but the numbers your kicking out are way too low for your first coil. Hell it's way too low for me and I've been building for close to 2 years.

Can I ask why that low? Have you tried RDAs at a higher resistance? Say .6 - .8 range? Is there really a _need_ to go that low?

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com
Play around with this tool, but I would still make sure you have an ohm reader before attempting to actually vape it, but this will give you some great guidelines to start with. If I could make a suggestion it would be to start higher on your resistance and then work your way down slowly until you reach a point you're satisfied with.

It might be difficult to get a higher resistance with such a thick wire (without doing a ton of wraps). You might shoot for some higher gauge wire while your at the vape shop (28 - 32).

Start there and then work down if you're not satisfied. If this is your first build, I think you'll be quite surprised at the flavor and vapor production from coils in the .8 - 1.2 range to begin with. You may want to go lower down the road, but take it slowly and stop when you're satisfied.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Ok ill definitely be picking up some 28 gauge at the store! But are you saying i should still keep my dual micro coil build but just make sure its safe? I have a picture of it if you'd like to check it out.
Hi Mikey. Welcome to ECF. What smgrundy is saying is to not even fire your coil until it has been measured on a digital multimeter or ohm reader. The coil only reading 0.0 on the MVP is alarming because either the coil is too low for it to read or it is a dead short coil, which causes batteries and mods to explode.

mod-explosion-1.jpg modexplosion.jpg

If I were you, I'd take off the coils on your RDA and start over when you get the 28 gauge Kanthal. Make a single 1.0 ohm microcoil and be sure to confirm it on your ohm meter. There is absolutely no need to go sub-ohm with your first couple of coils. Take baby steps.

Explain It To The Dumb Noob: Online Ohm's Law Calculators

You will probably need to go online to find a 50 amp Panasonic battery in 26650 size. These batteries are not all that common yet. Google will be your friend. (Try Orbtronics)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread