E cigarette flavoring and heart disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Well, it IS tobacco planting season here in Kentucky and tobacco IS being planted. Indications that tobacco isnt going away any time soon. And until nicotine is successfully extracted from other nicotine containing plants or a cheaper method of making nicotine in the lab becomes available, i guess we all need tobacco to be grown.
Yay tobacco! Without it I wouldn't be able to enjoy my NETs. And thank you Kentucky for growing some chief leaf:thumb:

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Well, it IS tobacco planting season here in Kentucky and tobacco IS being planted. Indications that tobacco isnt going away any time soon. And until nicotine is successfully extracted from other nicotine containing plants or a cheaper method of making nicotine in the lab becomes available, i guess we all need tobacco to be grown.
I could never invest in a tobacco farm.. when I was a smoker --yeah sure why not,,, but. Now we have over a lifetime supply of nic in the freezer for 2 people. So it got me to wondering just how much nicotine would the world need to cover every smoker assuming all smokers switched to vaping? I'm Only guessing but maybe only 2-3 years/crops?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I could never invest in a tobacco farm.. when I was a smoker --yeah sure why not,,, but. Now we have over a lifetime supply of nic in the freezer for 2 people. So it got me to wondering just how much nicotine would the world need to cover every smoker assuming all smokers switched to vaping? I'm Only guessing but maybe only 2-3 years/crops?

Couple of ways to estimate. I vape about 7 ml of 6 mg juice a day. Let's round that out to 50 mg a day in liquid. That works out to around 18 grams of nicotine a year. Take that as an average (and that's not outrageous, vaping 24 mg 2 ml a day in mtl is not unusual, or adjust accordingly to your own number). Now you need to know how much tobacco is needed to extract 18-20 gm for a single vaper per year. Multiply by the number of smokers and vapers and that's your yearly demand. If you know the amount of nicotine per amount of tobacco, you'll know your yearly demand.

Now you could say well, a cigarette contains an our 12 mg of nicotine. But one, I don't know what that weighs, two, how much tobacco needs to be grown to turn out a cigarettes amount of tobacco, and finally three, how efficient is your extraction. I mean even under the best conditions I doubt you get 100% of the nicotine in a gram of tobacco.

But when you consider there are estimated to be 1 billion smokers worldwide, and then allow 15 gm per vaper, that's 15 billion grams, or 15 million kilograms, or 30 million pounds of straight up nicotine is needed, which seems like an awful lot of tobacco leaves to be grown, and I doubt 2 or 3 years of crops would cover everyone well, for the remainder of their lives. That's a lot of nic.

Edit: to anyone, if my decimal places are off feel free to post a corrected version

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Couple of ways to estimate. I vape about 7 ml of 6 mg juice a day. Let's round that out to 50 mg a day in liquid. That works out to around 18 grams of nicotine a year. Take that as an average (and that's not outrageous, vaping 24 mg 2 ml a day in mtl is not unusual, or adjust accordingly to your own number). Now you need to know how much tobacco is needed to extract 18-20 gm for a single vaper per year. Multiply by the number of smokers and vapers and that's your yearly demand. If you know the amount of nicotine per amount of tobacco, you'll know your yearly demand.

Now you could say well, a cigarette contains an our 12 mg of nicotine. But one, I don't know what that weighs, two, how much tobacco needs to be grown to turn out a cigarettes amount of tobacco, and finally three, how efficient is your extraction. I mean even under the best conditions I doubt you get 100% of the nicotine in a gram of tobacco.

But when you consider there are estimated to be 1 billion smokers worldwide, and then allow 15 gm per vaper, that's 15 billion grams, or 15 million kilograms, or 30 million pounds of straight up nicotine is needed, which seems like an awful lot of tobacco leaves to be grown, and I doubt 2 or 3 years of crops would cover everyone well, for the remainder of their lives. That's a lot of nic.

Edit: to anyone, if my decimal places are off feel free to post a corrected version
Tobacco farms in the US produced approximately 800 million pounds of tobacco in theyear 2012. To reach this total, tobacco was grown in about nineteen states in the US.Apr 25, 2017

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016

I have seen your numbers and many others all over the map,.must be about which brand/plantis being tested.
A typical dose of nicotine in snuff is 3.6 milligrams (mg); in chewing tobacco, the amount of nicotine is closer to 4.5 mg. Compared to an average of 1 to 2 mg of nicotinein a commercially produced cigarette, the difference is significant.Nov 25, 2018

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Looks right. But at 50 mg/day (which I accept as an average value), it's more like 18.25 grams/year, or 18,250,000 kg /year, or just over 40 million lbs nicotine (1 kg = 2.2 lbs).

Now according to Wikipedia, "Nicotine constitutes approximately 0.6-3.0% of the dry weight of tobacco". Let's assume we can extract 1.5% from the average crop. We would need approximately 1.4 million (US/short) tons of tobacco per year to produce the nicotine needed for 1 billion vapers.

World-wide tobacco production is currently just shy of 5 million tons. So no problem. :)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Looks right. But at 50 mg/day (which I accept as an average value), it's more like 18.25 grams/year, or 18,250,000 kg /year, or just over 40 million lbs nicotine (1 kg = 2.2 lbs).

Now according to Wikipedia, "Nicotine constitutes approximately 0.6-3.0% of the dry weight of tobacco". Let's assume we can extract 1.5% from the average crop. We would need approximately 1.4 million (US/short) tons of tobacco per year to produce the nicotine needed for 1 billion vapers.

World-wide tobacco production is currently just shy of 5 million tons. So no problem. :)
We would need approximately 1.4 million (US/short) tons of tobacco per year to produce the nicotine needed for 1 billion vapers.

Basically there is a glut and big tobacco is following the Blockbuster biz model (going to $10 then 0 some day)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Basically there is a glut and big tobacco is following the Blockbuster biz model (going to $10 then 0 some day)
BT doesn't generally grow the tobacco though. They leave that to farmers, and farmers are adaptable. There's already a lot less tobacco grown in the US now than there was 50 years ago. Farmers will just plant something else.

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
BT doesn't generally grow the tobacco though. They leave that to farmers, and farmers are adaptable. There's already a lot less tobacco grown in the US now than there was 50 years ago. Farmers will just plant something else.
I know BT doesn't own the farms, and the farmers are happy enough to send their tobacco off to have the nicotine extracted.

Farmers aren't quite as adaptable as you would hope.. if they were they wouldn't need subsidized income.

Reactions: Jebbn

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Just saw this - not sure if it has already been posted:

Study suggests e-cigarette flavorings may pose heart risk

Article reports that laboratory tests on "cells that normally line healthy human blood vessels" using six different e cigarette flavorings concluded that "Vaping and some flavorings, even without nicotine, triggered blood vessel dysfunction that can increase the risk of heart disease..."

Apparently they found that cinnamon and menthol flavors were the "most toxic".

I have seen enough articles and "propaganda" against Electronic cigarettes, and about %95 of them are totally bogus. I studied hard when I first started vaping. Back then, everything was new, and I thought vaping was just a different way of delivering tobacco. I thought it was more about the Blu lights and looking cool, and I never thought of giving it a second look. That mentality went on for years. It was too expensive for me to just buy it on a whim. While pumping gas one night, I noticed an add for one of those "cigalikes", and the entire kit was $20... that much, I could buy on a whim.

That kit never did get me to quit, but it did open my eyes... I was smoking less because of it, and it tasted "ok" (which is a far cry better than a regular cigarette). I was determined to find something wrong with vaping, since I thought it was what the cool kids did. Sure enough, I found all sorts of articles about how bad it was, and everything, but the tone of all those articles seemed to come from a health elitist point of view, and focused on eating vegetables and drinking more water, etc... They all sounded the same as "sodas are bad, and should be banned as well as high fructose corn syrup." etc.... It all sounded jaded. Sure enough, the deeper I delved, the more I discovered the truth.... vaping is much better than smoking. But like with soda, chips, hamburgers, apple pie, etc.... they're not %100 safe. And that's how every report has come down to so far.... Vaping is not safe, but it is a lot safer.

So, depending on where you are at in your research, if you're a vaper, you'll be interested in it, and will do a bunch of research to come to the same conclusion... the media is jaded and biased. They're quick on the trigger on publishing eye catching danger articles, and there is little or no factual basis or comparisons. If you're new to the research train, then I ask you to do this to each article.... find the source(s) of the articles and see how credible that research is. more often than not, the article is based on another article... and it can be several articles before you get to the actual study, and then you'll find that study is either majorly flawed, or over 20 years old.

Ok, for argument sake, I will take your article.... It mentioned a study where they grew cells in a pitri dish and then subjected it to the flavorings. After tracking down Dr. Joseph Wu mentioned in the article, I noticed he hasn't published anything relating to electronic cigarettes. the article does go into a slight detail about how they grow cells in a pitri dish and then expose it to flavorings, and blood from someone who has just vaped. It doesn't, however, mention the quantity of chemicals. It simply says that the cells were inflamed which might cause damage.... Again, no smoking gun. I will wait for his study to be published before I can comment further on it, but I can almost guarantee, they over saturate the dish with an enormously high amount of chemicals until they get the result they are looking for. Most of the time this is done through funding by the FDA. So, in order to get funding from the FDA, they have to show something that may cause harm.. in other words, If they find that ecigarettes are generally safe, they won't get paid. I'll wait for the published result.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
I take all of these "studies" with less than a grain of salt because I want all of the data included in the article using modern gear/flavors. Until then.. It's just some 23 year old journalists trying to make rent selling shock &awe propaganda

Ps I don't ever blame big tobacco for these articles..they want INTO the vape industry..no reason for them to shoot themselves in the foot

Actually, I do. Big tobacco has invested in the cigalike type of vapes. Needless to say, a few years back, the FDA was trying to ban all vape gear except for cigalikes. Interesting eh? Even the european industry tried to do the same thing, so they're limited to 2ml in their tanks.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
Maybe I'm wrong on this but just some thoughts based on what I saw initially and over time.

Big Tobacco invested in the original cigalike useless thingies right from the off, but I don't think their intention was to get people to stop smoking. More like a dual use device, to allow smokers to get around the increasingly prevalent 'smoking in the work place ban', which was causing people to consider giving up smoking. So a win win for the tobacco companies as smokers don't quit, buy cigs AND cigalikes.

Then some weidos came along and figured out how to make devices good enough to quit the stinkies, therefore unleashing all the anti vaping fury.

• Creative
Reactions: gerrymi

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
Maybe I'm wrong on this but just some thoughts based on what I saw initially and over time.

Big Tobacco invested in the original cigalike useless thingies right from the off, but I don't think their intention was to get people to stop smoking. More like a dual use device, to allow smokers to get around the increasingly prevalent 'smoking in the work place ban', which was causing people to consider giving up smoking. So a win win for the tobacco companies as smokers don't quit, buy cigs AND cigalikes.

Then some weidos came along and figured out how to make devices good enough to quit the stinkies, therefore unleashing all the anti vaping fury.
I think BT didn't have a die hard vaping person in their design/research department so they basically dropped the ball big time for cornering the entry-level pod system. The Njoy Ace is one of the best deals in cheap gas station pods around Texas anyway,,, $1for a better mod &$2for 2decent pods that does give a newbie a more satisfying vape with more horse power and micro USB charging, instead of a proprietary charging system that cuts down on adoption. People want to charge and run,,, and they want charging anywhere they go.. micro USB is everywhere

• Useful
Reactions: gerrymi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread