Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
If it gets bad there, Canada isn’t banning flavoured vape juice any time soon.

Weird to think about Americans setting up PO Boxes in Canada, but a valid option. Usually it’s the other way around.

Our cottage is a few miles away from the US border (NY State) and we have packages delivered to a UPS store frequently to save shipping costs among many other reasons.

By car, I can’t see a MI resident being pulled into secondary on a vape juice tip-off.
My gramma had a safety deposit box in Windsor back in the day. according to the story When my grandfather mustered out of the army after WW1 (he was a spy balloonist. No, really) he took his mustering out pay in one dollar gold pieces and stored them in a safety deposit box in Windsor. Once a month my grandma would cross the bridge and take out a single gold coin. She would change it, and buy a month’s worth of groceries for her family. When the depression was over there was a single gold coin left. It was made into a tie tack and given to me when I was 21 a grownup I had it for years but I made the mistake of not knowing that a friend I had made was a prostrate drug addict. (Alcohol) he robbed me and my roommate of everything valuable including that tie tack. That was 30(?) years ago and it still pisses me off.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
One question I got about Canada specifically regarding Windsor and Detroit. Michigan just ran this ban thing, but a really large number of Michiganders live in Detroit, and downtown Detroit is literally across one of several bridges and whatnot from downtown Windsor. Back in the 20’s when my father was a tiny lad the amount of bootlegging across that stretch was staggering. Boats, planes, all kinds of stuff. It’s literally where the term “bootlegging” came from. Walk across the bridge with a bottle in your boot. I’m guessing times are going to be good for Windsor vape shops.

Any thoughts?
I live in SE michigan near downtown. May be I'm jaded by my own arrangements (DIY and rebuilding for years). Getting back and forth from Detroit to Windsor is not as easy as in the past. It's hard to believe driving the tunnel for a few bottles of eliquid would be worth the bother. My view is DIY should be the norm, not great for vape shops but that's what I think.

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
My gramma had a safety deposit box in Windsor back in the day. When my grandfather mustered out of the army after WW1 (he was a spy balloonist. No, really) he took his mustering out pay in one dollar gold pieces and stored them in a safety deposit box in Windsor. Once a month my grandma would cross the bridge and take out a single gold coin. She would change it, and buy a month’s worth of groceries for her family. When the depression was over there was a single gold coin left. It was made into a tie tack and given to me when I was 21. I had it for years but I made the mistake of not knowing that a rewind I had made was a prostrate drug addict. (Alcohol) he robbed me and my roommate of everything valuable including that tie tack. That was 30 years ago and it still pisses me off.
Cool story.

I am assuming “rewind” is roommate, but I am lost with “prostrate drug addict”. Autocorrect? I had a date with the camera a few weeks ago, so I don’t judge... :eek:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Cool story.

I am assuming “rewind” is roommate, but I am lost with “prostrate drug addict”. Autocorrect? I had a date with the camera a few weeks ago, so I don’t judge... :eek:
Correct. There was a lot of almost right in that one it seems. Prostrate means to lie on ones face. A prostrate addict as I understand it is one who has absolutely zero control. They will sell or do anything to get as much of the drug as possible and consume it till it is gone. No matter what. Abject Poverty is often the only thing that keeps them alive.

In other errors I’m not sure how old I was truly when it was given. I might have been 18, or was leaving for college, or some such. My father considered it a serious adulthood rite though. He told me the story when he gave it to me. Also it might not have been 30 years ago. Somewhat close. 21+30 shaves a year or two off my age.

Nameless_1

Verified Member
Dec 8, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Even though there were calls to reason from health experts yesterday, they are hitting the nail even harder today! :confused:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/vaping-thursday-1.5289485

"We've just unleashed a torrent of addiction amongst young people in Canada through our thoughtless disregard of the need for effective regulation of these products," Dr. Andrew Pipe, Heart & Stroke board chair and a smoking cessation physician in Ottawa, said in an interview. "Now we're playing catch-up in Canada, and we're in an almost unforgivable situation."

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Even though there were calls to reason from health experts yesterday, they are hitting the nail even harder today! :confused:

"We've just unleashed a torrent of addiction amongst young people in Canada through our thoughtless disregard of the need for effective regulation of these products," Dr. Andrew Pipe, Heart & Stroke board chair and a smoking cessation physician in Ottawa, said in an interview. "Now we're playing catch-up in Canada, and we're in an almost unforgivable situation."

You’d think the cancer society would be on board as cancer is one thing we do know ecigs don’t cause. I wonder if they’re being marketed to.

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
I am not entirely surprised Canada's politicians are jumping on this bandwagon, after all they've made smoking very difficult long before the USA has. You got to know where to go find them, because they are not on the shelves, it almost feels like you are committing a crime if you do, and then smokes cost a fortune, the rules of where you can vape or smoke are stricter, and that scary 2/3rd packaging...

It was good to see at least some research is being done in the UK. I suspect we have become too mired in politics in the USA for that to happen. Sin taxes and bans are easy votes.

Now for something controversial -

The real suck thing in the USA is that vaping never has hit the type of financial numbers that big tobacco has. JUUL was/is almost the start of it could be, but until there is enough money involved, the vaping industry will never have the financial sway to make a dent in how our politics works here. It really has very little to do with public health. If that was true we'd have banned smoking or made it much harder, we haven't ;)

• Agree
Reactions: KatlandKat

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada

Health groups call for immediate restrictions on advertising for vaping products

An immediate ban on advertising seems unanimous. Remove subway posters, print ads, promotional sampler vans from the street and other marketing channels. Have no problem with that.

Canadian health coalition calls for urgent crackdown on vaping products

The Canadian Medical Association and the Canadian Cancer Society also say the next federal government should take a series of steps, notably an immediate ban on ads for vaping products, removing flavoured e-cigarettes from store shelves and mandatory health warnings on all other products.

We already have the "nicotine is poison warning" and "nicotine is addictive warning" that just needs uniform enforcement. The copycat call to ban flavours is surfacing though. So far, all parties are saying they will be 'evidence-based'. This October election, I'll be voting for the party that is truly 'evidence-based'.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I am not entirely surprised Canada's politicians are jumping on this bandwagon, after all they've made smoking very difficult long before the USA has. You got to know where to go find them, because they are not on the shelves, it almost feels like you are committing a crime if you do, and then smokes cost a fortune, the rules of where you can vape or smoke are stricter, and that scary 2/3rd packaging...

It was good to see at least some research is being done in the UK. I suspect we have become too mired in politics in the USA for that to happen. Sin taxes and bans are easy votes.

Now for something controversial -

The real suck thing in the USA is that vaping never has hit the type of financial numbers that big tobacco has. JUUL was/is almost the start of it could be, but until there is enough money involved, the vaping industry will never have the financial sway to make a dent in how our politics works here. It really has very little to do with public health. If that was true we'd have banned smoking or made it much harder, we haven't ;)
I don’t know about the last point. The real cost of a pack of cigarettes is less than a dollar. Everything else is taxes and fees. That the US has done LESS than almost or possibly any other developed nation I could agree with.

Complaining that an industry didn’t get enough power to sway government falls on deaf ears for me. I don’t think ANY industry should have enough power to sway government and public opinion the way BT has done. That what they are doing is wrong and fundamentally damaging to the country I can agree with. Complaining that another industry doesn’t get to do it too and cause problems of their own I am less sympathetic too.

• Agree
Reactions: Woofer

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Health groups call for immediate restrictions on advertising for vaping products

An immediate ban on advertising seems unanimous. Remove subway posters, print ads, promotional sampler vans from the street and other marketing channels. Have no problem with that.

Canadian health coalition calls for urgent crackdown on vaping products

The Canadian Medical Association and the Canadian Cancer Society also say the next federal government should take a series of steps, notably an immediate ban on ads for vaping products, removing flavoured e-cigarettes from store shelves and mandatory health warnings on all other products.

We already have the "nicotine is poison warning" and "nicotine is addictive warning" that just needs uniform enforcement. The copycat call to ban flavours is surfacing though. So far, all parties are saying they will be 'evidenced-based'. This October election, I'll be voting for the party that is truly 'evidenced-based'.
Going after ads seems less damaging than a ban. If that’s the middle ground, I’d take it. I’m not a Canadian though so my opinion doesn’t matter.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I agree and I'm also confident they will disclose the truth when they find out. With cannabis full out legal in Canada they have no reason not to.

Some promising local news bits ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/sudbury-vaping-health-concerns-1.5282375

"It's vaping marijuana, that's the commonality in all this, it's all black market not purchased at a specialty vape shop, it's purchased off the street, you don't necessarily know what's in it and that's a dangerous proposition for anyone to not know what they're putting into their lungs,"

What we know about a vaping-related illness now diagnosed in Canada

WHAT'S THE CAUSE?

While experts haven't definitively pinpointed a cause, some researchers are pointing to additives to vape cartridges. New York has focused its investigation on vitamin E acetate, used as a thickener in some cartridges -- particularly on the black market. Vitamin E is safe as a vitamin pill or to use on the skin, but inhaling the oily droplets can trigger pneumonia.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Health organizations call for end to promotion of vaping products

The organizations recommended restrictions on advertising similar to those on tobacco products, the end of most -- if not all -- flavoured products, and a nicotine level restriction of 20 mg/ml in line with European Union standards.
Getting iffy. Follow EU standards, no problem. EU standards do not ban flavours.

ECTA (Electronic Cigarette Trade Association), CVA (Canadian Vaping Association) and THRA (Tobacco Harm Reduction Association of Canada) should push for similar EU standards now!

• Agree
Reactions: KatlandKat

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Some promising local news bits ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/sudbury-vaping-health-concerns-1.5282375

"It's vaping marijuana, that's the commonality in all this, it's all black market not purchased at a specialty vape shop, it's purchased off the street, you don't necessarily know what's in it and that's a dangerous proposition for anyone to not know what they're putting into their lungs,"

What we know about a vaping-related illness now diagnosed in Canada

WHAT'S THE CAUSE?

While experts haven't definitively pinpointed a cause, some researchers are pointing to additives to vape cartridges. New York has focused its investigation on vitamin E acetate, used as a thickener in some cartridges -- particularly on the black market. Vitamin E is safe as a vitamin pill or to use on the skin, but inhaling the oily droplets can trigger pneumonia.
What I am gathering is the vitamin e acetate was being used as a replacement for MCE. MCE is basically refined palm oil. Oils are against the the deeming so there should be no oils AT ALL in any e-cigarette. This means the places they want to regulate are definitively NOT the culprits here. They’re the OPPOSITE of the culprits. Anything with MCE in it is going to have to be either black market or not a deeming product.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I'm in Toronto. Both the morning and drive talk radio programs on AM640 discussed this. Both hosts (Stafford and Oakley) are widely recognized as very intelligent broadcasters. Both called out the black market THC as the cause and excused nicotine liquids.

So there are news media personalities that know the truth and are talking about it.
That's nice!

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Don't worry. BT is international.
They'll come in and fix it all for ya. Solve all the problems. No more flavors other than tobacco, no more online orders, no more DIY, proprietary locked systems that are "tamper resistant" and no more ads needed.

Fixed. Youth discouraged. Tobacco cigs, on the chopping block down the road. Smoke free future.

Watch the politicians jump on it. Particularly to save lives and healthcare costs from eliminating actual smoking in the longer-term future.

• Agree
Reactions: Pigs

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Watch the politicians jump on it. Particularly to save lives and healthcare costs from eliminating actual smoking in the longer-term future.

The science behind why vaping is becoming so popular in Canada
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/the-...ng-is-becoming-so-popular-in-canada-1.5290520

Experts say part of the reason for the surge in use in such a short time is the evolution of the devices themselves.

"We used to say that cigarettes are the most effective way of consuming nicotine, but e-cigarettes have replaced them," said Dr. Robert Schwartz, a senior scientist at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).

"They're so small and discreet and these new devices don't create the huge clouds that the previous devices did — people can use them anywhere, all the time."

Newer devices such as Juul or Vype, which came to the Canadian market last fall, mimic the physical feeling of a cigarette on the throat and use what are known as "nicotine salts" to deliver higher concentrations of the drug to the brain — much in the same way that cigarettes do.

"It used to be that if the nicotine concentration was too high, it would give you a harsh or aversive feeling on your throat," says David Hammond, a public health professor at the University of Waterloo who researches vaping in youth.

"Juul solved that. That's why Juul is somewhere around half the market. That's why most of the other major brands in Canada, including Vype and the smaller ones, have switched to nicotine salts."

E-cigarettes themselves aren't new, having been first introduced in Canada in 2004, according to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, but the chemistry behind the devices has changed dramatically in the past two years with new players on the market.

Schwartz says before the use of nicotine salts in products like Juul, the highest nicotine concentrations commercially sold in Canada were typically upward of 20 milligrams per millilitre, which is the regulated limit in the European Union.

The maximum amount of nicotine content allowed in e-cigarettes in Canada is currently 66 milligrams per millilitre, according to Health Canada. The Canadian Cancer Society says the highest amount used in Juul products is 59, and 57 in Vype.

All our politicians are espousing an 'evidence-based', scientific stance to deal with vaping. All also have huge spending increases planned for our socialized healthcare system. Banning nicotine salts (and related devices) can be as easy as latest proposal to ban assault rifles nationwide (no 2nd Amendment here). Aside from advertising bans, EU standards limiting nicotine to 20mg/ml may also be applied.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/the-...ng-is-becoming-so-popular-in-canada-1.5290520

Experts say part of the reason for the surge in use in such a short time is the evolution of the devices themselves.

"We used to say that cigarettes are the most effective way of consuming nicotine, but e-cigarettes have replaced them," said Dr. Robert Schwartz, a senior scientist at Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH).

"They're so small and discreet and these new devices don't create the huge clouds that the previous devices did — people can use them anywhere, all the time."

Newer devices such as Juul or Vype, which came to the Canadian market last fall, mimic the physical feeling of a cigarette on the throat and use what are known as "nicotine salts" to deliver higher concentrations of the drug to the brain — much in the same way that cigarettes do.

"It used to be that if the nicotine concentration was too high, it would give you a harsh or aversive feeling on your throat," says David Hammond, a public health professor at the University of Waterloo who researches vaping in youth.

"Juul solved that. That's why Juul is somewhere around half the market. That's why most of the other major brands in Canada, including Vype and the smaller ones, have switched to nicotine salts."

E-cigarettes themselves aren't new, having been first introduced in Canada in 2004, according to the Heart and Stroke Foundation, but the chemistry behind the devices has changed dramatically in the past two years with new players on the market.

Schwartz says before the use of nicotine salts in products like Juul, the highest nicotine concentrations commercially sold in Canada were typically upward of 20 milligrams per millilitre, which is the regulated limit in the European Union.

The maximum amount of nicotine content allowed in e-cigarettes in Canada is currently 66 milligrams per millilitre, according to Health Canada. The Canadian Cancer Society says the highest amount used in Juul products is 59, and 57 in Vype.

All our politicians are espousing an 'evidence-based', scientific stance to deal with vaping. All also have huge spending increases planned for our socialized healthcare system. Banning nicotine salts (and related devices) can be as easy as latest proposal to ban assault rifles nationwide (no 2nd Amendment here). Aside from advertising bans, EU standards limiting nicotine to 20mg/ml may also be applied.
I personally want to see a LOT more research into nicotine “salt” safety. There’s been basically none.

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada

File all of that under "duh".

Ecigs provide nicotine and the tactile inhaling experience with less harm and stink. End of discussion. Doesn't require a PhD to analyze.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread