Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would give yourself a little extra time at the airport coming back from Mexico just incase they start to question you about the e-cig. What is the worst thing that can happen? Confiscation? Just smoke it in front of them. If they do get confiscated (which I'm pretty sure they wont) just deal with it and get another one when you get back. But to be honest with you, If I were going to Mexico I would take everything with me and if they take it...oh well..Lesson learned.

Do be advised that the US Dept of Homeland Security has put out a warning about 2 weeks ago to all Americans traveling to Mexico. Apparently there is a big drug war going on between the authorities and drug lords and shoot outs in broad daylight between authorites and drug gangs are becoming very common. Many innocent people have been caught in the crossfire and killed. The authorities are really cracking down on the drug problem over there so don't be surprised if you are stopped and questioned.

SMOKING ON PLANES

I can't believe that many here have actually got away with it. As a retired Law Enforcement Officer and First Responder, I have been trained by Homeland Security personnel in Weapons of Mass Destruction, Radiological threats and Terrorist explosives, Suicide bombers etc. I can tell you that YES, an explosive device can be ANYTHING. There are explosive liquids that can be purchased on the black market, mixed at home and 1 DROP of this liquid can be inserted into a small pen. The liquid does not need much heat to explode. Once it is heated to the right temperature, it will ignite. 1 Drop can blow apart into a zillion pieces a watermelon. Take 2-3 pens and fill them up with let's say 10 drops each? Now we really have a problem on board a plane.

Can a Pen Style e-cig cart filled with this explosive liquid be ignited by an atomizer? If the atomizer can get hot enough, yes it can. A creative terrorist can rig the atomizer or create their own atomizer that can generate just enough heat to set this thing off.

Presently I train Security personnel that work in high profile areas that are potential terrorist targets. Although I do not train TSA, I do train other security companies that are assigned to JFK and LaGaurdia Airports in New York and Newark Airport in New Jersey. In my training class I show a video that actually demonstrates how this explosive works with only 1 drop inside a pen.

Do not get upset when those folks at TSA finally get their **** together and realize this. I for one, am all for vaping, but if it means that if vaping is allowed on planes and give terrorists an easy opportunity to do more damage, I would rather throw my stash into my checked luggage and vape when I get to my destination.

Don't make it easier for them.

The Blue Knight :cool:

Last edited:

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Unless you are going to ban _everything_ from carryon luggage, this whole one drop of explosive bit is not rational at all.

I can hide one drop of liquid or even 50 inside of a radio. I can rig that same radio to heat said drop of liquid way hotter than my atomizer would. All while keeping the radio functional.

And I don't even have an EE degree or a boatload of cash. Imagine what a person/organization with some real resources could do. You can't stop it, sorry.

Unless you are going to ban _everything_ from carryon luggage, this whole one drop of explosive bit is not rational at all.

I can hide one drop of liquid or even 50 inside of a radio. I can rig that same radio to heat said drop of liquid way hotter than my atomizer would. All while keeping the radio functional.

And I don't even have an EE degree or a boatload of cash. Imagine what a person/organization with some real resources could do. You can't stop it, sorry.

Yes you are correct. But to be able to do that (Heat up and play at the same time) you would need to different souces of power and/or 2 different switches which when observed on the x-ray machine will be cause for alarm and said person with said radio or whatever will be detained. But, like I always say...Never say never.

Let me explain something to you.

Although you might not be able to stop it, measures can be taken to avoid a terrorist attack.

You see, let me give you some quick insight... A terrorist (like common criminals) need 3 things to commit their acts of violence:

1. The Desire to do it
2. The abiltiy to do it
3. The opportunity to do it.

Out of the 3 above, you can (and have the abiltiy) to take away their OPPORTUNITY to commit the act.

Without the opportunity, they can't do anything. They will have to find another way and means to do what they have the desire and abiltiy to do. They do not want to be caught. If they get caught, their mission will become a failure and to them that is unacceptable.

It wont stop them from planning something else, but it will delay whatever plans they have for another time and place where it will be easy for them to follow thru with their plans.

Think about it, it's been 8 years since 9-11. If it were so easy why have they not hijacked another plane since then? That's because the security measures that are in place (thou not perfect) are taking away their opportunity to commit the act.

The only way to really stop them is to nuke them all imo.

Now, if we go on ahead and promote this "Let's all vape on a plane" agenda and it gets approved (which I can tell you it won't once word gets around), we are giving these idiots a golden opportunity to take out another plane.

I say, let them take their business elsewhere and away from our means of travel.

I can't get into details due to security reasons but I can tell you that technology is being implemented and improved to be able to "sniff" out these types of liquid explosives. However, we can have all the technology in the world but it is the actual security person and us as concerned Americans, to take away their opportunity. Let them go take out another hotel or whatever in another country for their causes but not here!!

Our wants and desires to be able to vape on a plane to satisfy our urges and cravings will be nothing but an open door for them.

With that said, it is in my opinion, not a good thing to promote or even vape on a plane.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

jmoney

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
Texas
yeah the juarez cartel is really messing up the border, i don't plan on leaving the resort at all in cancun even though its pretty south of where the main violence is...i decided to just return to the agonizing smell and feeling of smoking analogs for the next 5 days...i smoked for 7 years 5 more days back on analogs will suck..but at least maybe my new evo will be waiting for me when i get back...thanks for the advice but i really just dont think its worth it to get messed with in mexico

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
yeah the juarez cartel is really messing up the border, i don't plan on leaving the resort at all in cancun even though its pretty south of where the main violence is...i decided to just return to the agonizing smell and feeling of smoking analogs for the next 5 days...i smoked for 7 years 5 more days back on analogs will suck..but at least maybe my new evo will be waiting for me when i get back...thanks for the advice but i really just dont think its worth it to get messed with in mexico

Mexico's customs like others have told you, will not stop you if it is for personal use, if you don't want to bring your gear here, then buy one when you arrive:

NJOY de México - Todos los placeres de fumar... Sin todos los problemas

You can use them on premise, you can buy it too, the only thing you can't do is import, produce or sell this product.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Yes you are correct. But to be able to do that (Heat up and play at the same time) you would need to different souces of power and/or 2 different switches which when observed on the x-ray machine will be cause for alarm and said person with said radio or whatever will be detained. But, like I always say...Never say never.

Let me explain something to you.

Although you might not be able to stop it, measures can be taken to avoid a terrorist attack.

You see, let me give you some quick insight... A terrorist (like common criminals) need 3 things to commit their acts of violence:

1. The Desire to do it
2. The abiltiy to do it
3. The opportunity to do it.

Out of the 3 above, you can (and have the abiltiy) to take away their OPPORTUNITY to commit the act.

Without the opportunity, they can't do anything. They will have to find another way and means to do what they have the desire and abiltiy to do. They do not want to be caught. If they get caught, their mission will become a failure and to them that is unacceptable.

It wont stop them from planning something else, but it will delay whatever plans they have for another time and place where it will be easy for them to follow thru with their plans.

Think about it, it's been 8 years since 9-11. If it were so easy why have they not hijacked another plane since then? That's because the security measures that are in place (thou not perfect) are taking away their opportunity to commit the act.

The only way to really stop them is to nuke them all imo.

Now, if we go on ahead and promote this "Let's all vape on a plane" agenda and it gets approved (which I can tell you it won't once word gets around), we are giving these idiots a golden opportunity to take out another plane.

I say, let them take their business elsewhere and away from our means of travel.

I can't get into details due to security reasons but I can tell you that technology is being implemented and improved to be able to "sniff" out these types of liquid explosives. However, we can have all the technology in the world but it is the actual security person and us as concerned Americans, to take away their opportunity. Let them go take out another hotel or whatever in another country for their causes but not here!!

Our wants and desires to be able to vape on a plane to satisfy our urges and cravings will be nothing but an open door for them.

With that said, it is in my opinion, not a good thing to promote or even vape on a plane.

USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Your post is very interesting. I don't want to sound like a troll but this is a area that I'm somewhat versed in.

I currently own a specialized company in the US that trains and supplies EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) squads across the globe. I work very closely with the US Navy, Army, State Dept, DoD, DOE, FAA, and ATF. I also supply and design remote detonators, IED training tools, and encrypted radios for bomb squads across the globe. I'm certified in EOD/UXO and I'm also a pilot as well (commerical and ATP). When I fly to most of my customers I take commerical over genreral avation. Although I prefer to fly in my own airplane and do what ever I please such as smoking a analog cig.

The TSA is a joke and is very clueless to products such as binary explosives. I have carried remote detonators, two way radios, and small amounts of liquid, air charts, approach plates and have never been hassled. I was only troubled once when I was "swabed" and it revealed trace particles of explosives. That was due to the fact that I was working a demo at a speicalized bomb range on the east coast with C-4 the previous day.

Considering that the TSA has set rules in place I highly doubt anyone would have any issues bringing said products aboard a commerical airplane as long as they are under the 3 oz rule.

What concerns me the most is that my e cig will heat up when not in use (due to low freq noise). I have read other posts about this issue but I am a newbie to the E Cig world so I don't know if this is factual. I'm going to do some trials this weekend in my own airplane (single piston) to see if the noise sets my e cig off. I will also do a open test on the commerical this Monday in route to Nevade to see if I get hassled by the local flight crew. My guess is that if I'm somewhat covert on a commerical flight, I could get away with some vape.

I'm die hard smoker, and during long flights I used other methods such as the nictrol inhaler which sucked while flying commerical. On private airplanes I will still excerise my right to smoke analog or vape without hassles.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
To avoid the e-cigs heating up on planes, just detatch the battery from the atomiser. I had to do this at a loud music venue, as it was burning my thigh through my pocket!

Very important - never put fully-assembled e-cigs into checked baggage. Imagine if the jet noise heats 'em up...! Scary. Lithium batteries are prohibited from checked bags anyway.

Your post is very interesting. I don't want to sound like a troll but this is a area that I'm somewhat versed in.

I currently own a specialized company in the US that trains and supplies EOD (explosive ordnance disposal) squads across the globe. I work very closely with the US Navy, Army, State Dept, DoD, DOE, FAA, and ATF. I also supply and design remote detonators, IED training tools, and encrypted radios for bomb squads across the globe. I'm certified in EOD/UXO and I'm also a pilot as well (commerical and ATP). When I fly to most of my customers I take commerical over genreral avation. Although I prefer to fly in my own airplane and do what ever I please such as smoking a analog cig.

The TSA is a joke and is very clueless to products such as binary explosives. I have carried remote detonators, two way radios, and small amounts of liquid, air charts, approach plates and have never been hassled. I was only troubled once when I was "swabed" and it revealed trace particles of explosives. That was due to the fact that I was working a demo at a speicalized bomb range on the east coast with C-4 the previous day.

Considering that the TSA has set rules in place I highly doubt anyone would have any issues bringing said products aboard a commerical airplane as long as they are under the 3 oz rule.

What concerns me the most is that my e cig will heat up when not in use (due to low freq noise). I have read other posts about this issue but I am a newbie to the E Cig world so I don't know if this is factual. I'm going to do some trials this weekend in my own airplane (single piston) to see if the noise sets my e cig off. I will also do a open test on the commerical this Monday in route to Nevade to see if I get hassled by the local flight crew. My guess is that if I'm somewhat covert on a commerical flight, I could get away with some vape.

I'm die hard smoker, and during long flights I used other methods such as the nictrol inhaler which sucked while flying commerical. On private airplanes I will still excerise my right to smoke analog or vape without hassles.

AHHHH!! Someone I can relate with! Cool. Yep, you hit it right on the nose. I was refering to the Binary Explosives....Very Good little grasshopper! (lol)

Anyway, I can relate to you with regards to being "swabbed". 2 years ago I was in New Mexico over at the IRTB Training (Incident Response to Terrorist Bombings New Mexico Institute of Mining and technology - New Mexico Tech Energetic Materials research and testing center) and played around with C4 and other explosives that day at the site. including anfo. It was pretty cool up there in the mountains so I wore my only jacket. When it was time to fly back to NY, I wore the same jacket...and yep..you guessed it. Same thing...trace amounts of the explosive stuff. Joking around I told them it was my bad cologne!!8-o

Yep, TSA is a joke but let's try not to advertise that to the bad guys!! Your right, look at what those guys and girls get paid. You can't possibly get experienced people like you and I to work there for that kind of pay so go figure. Most of them have GED's, High School Diploma's and/or no or very little college. As far as training they get what they get and it will be no where in comaprison to the training that you and I have.

Remote detenators and stuff like that, as far as they are concerned it's a car alarm or an ipod.

As far as the 3 oz rule, you and I both know what 3 oz's of Binary can do! Shoot, make me want to stay away from planes all together but sometimes due to business, I have to fly.

Let's just hope that anyone with plans to do us some damamge does not catch on to the security weaknesses that are out there. That's what they are looking for. All I am saying is...Let's not advertise it to them.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa

No, sorry sir.

I'm not going to DETONATE the friggin thing while I'm being examined by TSA. Therefore I do not need two power sources. (I don't know why I would need 2 power sources even IF I was going to blow up some TSA agents) I don't even need two switches either, as I can adjust the internal jumpers inflight. But there's a band called 'AM', (remember that?) and therefore a switch for it. If,... *IF* I am asked to demonstrate my radio, I will do so. They will of course not tell me what station to tune in. So my AM/FM switch could become the switch to divert power to my explosive.

You know what really ticks me off, I say out loud how one individual can blow up a plane no problem. And you sit there and give me some lecture about taking opportunity away from terrorists. Well no, sir you CAN'T. That's what I said on the 13th and I meant it.

AT THE TIME, you came off like you had some sort of invincible xray vision.

But now we see the real thruth when someone comes along that you are professionally "buddy buddy" with:

AHHHH!! Someone I can relate with! Cool.
[...]
Yep, TSA is a joke but let's try not to advertise that to the bad guys!!

Ok, so on the one hand you say you can stop whatever I want to do by taking away my "opportunity" and you list a bunch of crededtials that are worth whatever they are.

I decide not to debate the point as I have no desire to bring down a transport category airplane anyway. So I let it go. No reason to start a flame war, after all.

But THEN you post the above quote!

You know what, I don't know if you're just slow, or what your deal is. I guarantee you I could slip an explosive device right under your nose, because you obviously know very little about electronics or internal AM antenna design, (Hint: X-Ray machines can't see through an iron core, sir.)

But to boast about being able to catch everyone and take away their opportunity, and the the very next week saying "ssshhh... don't tell the boogieman" makes you sound like a complete jackass.

"Security" to you guys means keeping stuff quiet. Hope that works out well for ya.

You know, you make me sick.

Last edited:
Programmer,

I am sorry to hear that I make you sick.

My thoughts and opinions on this subject matter are not meant to insult, belittle, question anybody's intelligence or lecture anyone (I am not anybody's father). They are just that, thoughts and opinions, that are open to feed back and/or criticism. We are all here to share thoughts and opinions.

If any of my thoughts/opinions have offended you in anyway, then I apologize but keep in mind that they were not intended to do that to you or anyone else.

With that said, Your thoughts and opinions on my postings and your feelings towards me have been duly noted and are respected.

I consider this matter closed.

Thank You

Max

Wxman2000

Mar 5, 2009
The benefits of having my own plane are great...never have to worry about this at all, or any of the other TSA BS that they come up with. I suppose if I wanted to, I could smoke an analog in my plane, but with the e-cigs, I won't get a nasty film on anything.

For anyone out there that can't stand the TSA, spend a little money and get your pilot license and a cheap old plane and never have to worry about their crap again...you'd never regret it.

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
The benefits of having my own plane are great...never have to worry about this at all, or any of the other TSA BS that they come up with. I suppose if I wanted to, I could smoke an analog in my plane, but with the e-cigs, I won't get a nasty film on anything.

For anyone out there that can't stand the TSA, spend a little money and get your pilot license and a cheap old plane and never have to worry about their crap again...you'd never regret it.
Believe it or not I thought about that, but the cost was too much when I looked into it a few years ago - it was something like $4k for the 40 hours or so....

DisMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2008

I would have no problems with take off....landing would be my difficulty. But, if I could get my own plane and fly from Phoenix to John Wayne, I would definitely be interested.

Basically, I'm a DisneyLand *freak*...hence the name "DisMan". Maybe when I'm 45 I'll seriously look into my own plane. I live 5 minutes from Deer Valley airport in Phoenix, AZ...so it's not like it would be a far drive to get to my plane.

That is great news...... I hope other carriers and their flight attendants will be as enlightened.

I am old enough to remember the good ole days when we patiently waited for the no smoking light to go off after takeoff so that we could all light up.

Yes, I am very, very old. :p

wb
don't say that,
I remember too just lurking until my njoy arrives I am sure I will have plenty of question then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread