Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so my concerns about using my pen style on the plane were unwarranted. I just did a round trip to Montana on Delta and Northwest. Used it on every flight. I had all business class seats since I get the platinum upgrades, so not sure if my experience of acceptance by the flight crew and other passengers was a result of class of travel - you get different additude in Business than in Coach. But once I explained what it was, I was free to vape to my heart's content. The proof for most people was that there was no odor or smoke smell despite the vapor escaping my mouth and nose. What a difference! I'm FREE!!!

Wildsky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Nebraska
I only found out about e-cig's a week before I left on a long trip - I hurriedly purchased a njoy.
I flew Delta. Through Omaha, Atlanta, Dakar (senegal) and Johanesburg - and back the same way.
I vaped on the plane, discreetly - the first few times in the toilet. Once the lights went out it was a lot easier. A plus on the way there I had nobody next to me. On the way back the guy next to me fell asleep pretty fast - so I vaped away in my seat.

I didn't vape in Atlanta, they have smoking rooms, as I was worried how long my batteries would last (3) I smoked analogs in Atlanta. My other stops I tried to find a quiet area, or headed for the ladies room

I wasn't questioned or stopped once, but it wasn't obvious what I was doing.

angel123

Mar 9, 2009
Texas
Ok I am heading for Vegas on the 19th out of DFW. What is the best way to pack my
gear to get thru security? Not checking any luggage. I will have a very large purse and my one small suitcase. I am just worried about getting thru security there and back. I will have 2 901's with one charger and my usb passthru with a battery pack and 3 bottles of juice.

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
Ok I am heading for Vegas on the 19th out of DFW. What is the best way to pack my
gear to get thru security? Not checking any luggage. I will have a very large purse and my one small suitcase. I am just worried about getting thru security there and back. I will have 2 901's with one charger and my usb passthru with a battery pack and 3 bottles of juice.

Don't worry about it. At all! If anything just be cognizent of the 3oz limitation. If all three bottles are 30mL, then you may want to rethink your no-checked-baggage strategy.

As for the hardware itself just don't worry about it. If you're that paranoid, place the assembled 901's in your purse amonst a bunch of pens. I personally wouldn't even bother.

SpaceCadet

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2009
Scotland
Don't worry about it. At all! If anything just be cognizent of the 3oz limitation. If all three bottles are 30mL, then you may want to rethink your no-checked-baggage strategy.
You can take through more than 3oz total though, right? As long as each container is less than 3oz? As long as they all fit in a quart baggie!

Programmer

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2009
Des Moines, Iowa
You can take through more than 3oz total though, right? As long as each container is less than 3oz? As long as they all fit in a quart baggie!

Had to look it up just now, but yep, that's it. Keep in mind they can enforce 3oz on _capacity_, not just by how much liquid is actually in there.

So my earlier statement about 3x30mL was off. Sorry. (Haven't flown in a while!) I can't say I like my e-liquid dripping on my toothpaste, but what can ya do. Brush longer!

Last edited:

Harry Crazington

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Las Vegas
Thanks all of you
you have allieviated my fears. I am just going to pack and go. I will vape all over Vegas and give you a report when I get back. I have a blue and an orange led so I will try both and get reactions on them

Don't know if I am brave enough to esmoke on the plane though.

No worries, we encourage smoking anything anywhere anytime, after all ..

Don't mess with us cuz we're in the ( Wild Wild West )

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Thanks all of you
you have allieviated my fears. I am just going to pack and go. I will vape all over Vegas and give you a report when I get back. I have a blue and an orange led so I will try both and get reactions on them

Don't know if I am brave enough to esmoke on the plane though.

Angel, no problem, just keep the vaping discreet. Hell I openly drip and refill on planes!

100_0184.jpg

And at NBA Games!

VapingatNBA.jpg

retroboy1975

Mar 11, 2009
so your saying that a person watching someone else smoking an ecig on aplane might think its the real thing and then just light up?? thats absurd. the absolute most someone would do is "rat" you out , or simply ask you questions about it. if you were on a flight and you never heard of ecigs, and you saw someone smoking, would you light up?! NOOOOO FREEEAAAKKIN WAAYYY! :) i aint goin top jail WITH that guy for one smoke. its always the same old story with stuff like this. when anything new comes out, people kind of throw out meaningless conjecture about the things that could /would happen. 99% is all bull. lets put this into perspective a little better. if you pulled up to a stoplight and the guy in the car next to you was chugging down a nice cold beer while driving, would you think " well, hes doin it, maybe the laws changed" and then go to the store and get some beers and drink while driving around town? now maybe you get how stupid that scenario is.
dont get me wrong , i think you should be able to vape on a plane, but i still wont. i dont need the hassle and embarrasment. hell, i could also go to a nice resturaunt and fart and burp all night. but just cause its not illegal, doesnt necassarily make it the best idea., ya know? :) the reality is even though these units DO slide under the tobacco radar, they will unfortunately never slide under the security radar, at least not on a plane anyway. they are for now, only because no one knows what they are. and most people are "hiding" them. but as soon as these become more mainstream it wont matter if it looks like a cigarette or a pen...you wont be bringing it on the flight with you...period. its like others have said, its got batteries, wires , liquid and a heating element. theres simply no way that the airlines will let this slide in the long run. they eventually will team up and make a new faa rule banning them on flights for security reasons, not tobacco or "looks-like-tobacco" reasons. of course thats just what i think. i could be wrong, but im not. ha! lol

retroboy1975

Mar 11, 2009
so your saying that a person watching someone else smoking an ecig on aplane might think its the real thing and then just light up?? thats absurd. the absolute most someone would do is "rat" you out , or simply ask you questions about it. if you were on a flight and you never heard of ecigs, and you saw someone smoking, would you light up?! NOOOOO FREEEAAAKKIN WAAYYY! i aint goin top jail WITH that guy for one smoke. its always the same old story with stuff like this. when anything new comes out, people kind of throw out meaningless conjecture about the things that could /would happen. 99% is all bull. lets put this into perspective a little better. if you pulled up to a stoplight and the guy in the car next to you was chugging down a nice cold beer while driving, would you think " well, hes doin it, maybe the laws changed" and then go to the store and get some beers and drink while driving around town? now maybe you get how stupid that scenario is.
dont get me wrong , i think you should be able to vape on a plane, but i still wont. i dont need the hassle and embarrasment. hell, i could also go to a nice resturaunt and fart and burp all night. but just cause its not illegal, doesnt necassarily make it the best idea., ya know? the reality is even though these units DO slide under the tobacco radar, they will unfortunately never slide under the security radar, at least not on a plane anyway. they are for now, only because no one knows what they are. and most people are "hiding" them. but as soon as these become more mainstream it wont matter if it looks like a cigarette or a pen...you wont be bringing it on the flight with you...period. its like others have said, its got batteries, wires , liquid and a heating element. theres simply no way that the airlines will let this slide in the long run. they eventually will team up and make a new faa rule banning them on flights for security reasons, not tobacco or "looks-like-tobacco" reasons. of course thats just what i think. i could be wrong, but im not. ha! lol

Lithium1330

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2008
Mexico
so your saying that a person watching someone else smoking an ecig on aplane might think its the real thing and then just light up?? thats absurd. the absolute most someone would do is "rat" you out , or simply ask you questions about it. if you were on a flight and you never heard of ecigs, and you saw someone smoking, would you light up?! NOOOOO FREEEAAAKKIN WAAYYY! :) i aint goin top jail WITH that guy for one smoke. its always the same old story with stuff like this. when anything new comes out, people kind of throw out meaningless conjecture about the things that could /would happen. 99% is all bull. lets put this into perspective a little better. if you pulled up to a stoplight and the guy in the car next to you was chugging down a nice cold beer while driving, would you think " well, hes doin it, maybe the laws changed" and then go to the store and get some beers and drink while driving around town? now maybe you get how stupid that scenario is.
dont get me wrong , i think you should be able to vape on a plane, but i still wont. i dont need the hassle and embarrasment. hell, i could also go to a nice resturaunt and fart and burp all night. but just cause its not illegal, doesnt necassarily make it the best idea., ya know? :) the reality is even though these units DO slide under the tobacco radar, they will unfortunately never slide under the security radar, at least not on a plane anyway. they are for now, only because no one knows what they are. and most people are "hiding" them. but as soon as these become more mainstream it wont matter if it looks like a cigarette or a pen...you wont be bringing it on the flight with you...period. its like others have said, its got batteries, wires , liquid and a heating element. theres simply no way that the airlines will let this slide in the long run. they eventually will team up and make a new faa rule banning them on flights for security reasons, not tobacco or "looks-like-tobacco" reasons. of course thats just what i think. i could be wrong, but im not. ha! lol

For the TSA it is OK to carrie an e-cigarette, but of course at the end the airline needs to aprove it: http://www.njoydemexico.com/pdf/tsaletter.pdf

retroboy1975

Mar 11, 2009
thats what im saying. were fooling ourselves if we think theyre gonna approve it. we know its harmless to have one, but they'll make the arguement that anyone could make an explosive device disguised as an ecig, blah, blah, blah. i realize they gotta be cautious after 9/11, but the truth is there will never be a truly safe airline. the numbers of people getting on planes vs. the number of security personel make it a mathematical improbability and more likely an impossibility. but i dont care about not smoking when flying. theres always gonna be a few places you cant smoke an ecig. church, during your shift at work, or while your in class, etc. just forget the planes folks it aint gonna happen. never.

jmoney

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2009
Texas
I am traveling to cancun on friday and really wanted to bring my e-cig with me, i know they have been banned for sale there, but if i pack everything in my carry on...including my cartridges...no bottles do is there any trouble i could really get into? i know that some people get randomly searched but can I actually get into any trouble with mexican or airline authorities going in or out of the country?

retroboy1975

Mar 11, 2009
i dont know that you can get into any trouble. theres nothing that says you cant have one cause theyre a new thing that airlines havent thought of yet. BUT... if they find one whilst searching you, then i would prepare for the possibility of missing your next flight and a host of time being wasted while they put you through the ringer about it. its possible they might not. but i wouldnt want to take the chance of ruining my vacation , etc. id advise to test the water by dipping your foot in, rather than jumping into the deep end right off. in my state (maine) there is a ban against smoking in your car when children are in it. so ill be vaping in my car with my kids just waiting to get pulled over to see what happens. incidently it really is a stupid law. it sounds good on paper, but it doesnt do anything. people who smoke with their kids in their car, definately smoke in the house with them. and their only in the car for short periods of time. younger kids are home all day in an enclosed smoking room. at least in a car most people rool down the window. this is just one of the money making enterprises that my state has against smokers. we also hold the highest cigarette price due to an insane cig tax. you know, cause they care so much. a pack of cigarettes will cost me $6.50 and in one week it will go to $7.50. ridiculous! for everyone else anyway. :) ill be esmoking.

vaportiger

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009
B'ham, AL
I just flew to from B'ham to Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale and then back to Tampa and B'ham. I smoked in the terminals and no problem A few people were looking but no one said any thing. I was using a USB passthrough connected to a APC. Maybe that friked them out seing a wire coming out the end. I also vaped on the planes just used small puffs and held in a long time. A few times alot of vapor came out my mouth and the people in front looked around confused and that was it. No one was next to me. I do not think I would vap like I normal do because to much vapor would be in the air and then I would have to explan to someone. I did kill an atomizer, I think because how I was using it. It got hot as hell and then stoped. Maybe not enough airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread