Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
I stealth vape on flights every time I travel. Because I tend to get cold on planes, I take a light sweater or jacket. About 1 1/2 or 2 two hours into the flight, I pull my jacket over me like a blanket and vape blowing the vapor down under the jacket. Works like a charm, esp. if you have the air blower fully open down towards you.

I do the same thing on planes with no problem. No need to be obvious about it and cause problems. Besides, for me, it's only a quick drag or 2 to help me get through a 3 hour flight. My husband goes into the bathroom to vape. The really good thing about e-cigs is that we no longer fight over who gets to go have the first cig while the other one waits for the luggage :p ~Linda~

popsec

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
www.vtvapor.com
Checked with the flight attendants at Southwest airlines the other day about smoking my ecig on the plane. The said they would prefer me not to smoke it in my seat but said I could come to the back by the bathrooms and puff away. So i did, got some strange looks from the passengers in the back but the flight attendants thought it was cool.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Southwest has a "no e-cig use" policy on their planes.....can anyone confirm?

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
PTDJ - Amsterdam is one of my favorite sites, the people are friendly, and beautiful, they also speak English (yep, me the ugly American that doesn't know the language). The food is great except for local cuisine. They have every national cuisine imaginable and it's very good. The sites are stunning and you can walk the whole city. I'd love to live here, Amsterdam has it going on.

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I'm sure I read somewhere that Southwest has a "no e-cig use" policy on their planes.....can anyone confirm?

Yep your correct.

PTDJ - Amsterdam is one of my favorite sites, the people are friendly, and beautiful, they also speak English (yep, me the ugly American that doesn't know the language). The food is great except for local cuisine. They have every national cuisine imaginable and it's very good. The sites are stunning and you can walk the whole city. I'd love to live here, Amsterdam has it going on.

Nice city indeed, they do love Indonesian food! Its been a few years since I have been there, look forward to my visit. I actually fly into Brussels and will take the train into Amsterdam, vaping all the way!;)

AJMoore

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2009
Here and back
So here I am in Norwich, UK with 5 mods, loads of $$$$ worth of supplies and only one mod works. I'm frustrated with the mods. I did bring a few inexpensive PT's like 808's and 510's for "just in case" and "just in case" seems to have happened. I can't understand how I can spend so much money for these mods and they absolutely don't work. They all seem to have button/switch problems.

Anyway, I have only seen one other person using an e cig. I thought there might be more.

More after the flight home next week. We'll see how customs reacts going the other way.

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com
So here I am in Norwich, UK with 5 mods, loads of $$$$ worth of supplies and only one mod works. I'm frustrated with the mods. I did bring a few inexpensive PT's like 808's and 510's for "just in case" and "just in case" seems to have happened. I can't understand how I can spend so much money for these mods and they absolutely don't work. They all seem to have button/switch problems.

Anyway, I have only seen one other person using an e cig. I thought there might be more.

More after the flight home next week. We'll see how customs reacts going the other way.

You should have no problems with customs. You don't need to declare your mods or juice or anything. I've been in and out of the country twice with multiple mods in the last two months, and never had a question or an issue.

Good luck!

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
Could anyone post a list of airlines known to prohibit e-cig use on board the flight? There have been various airlines mentioned in replies in the thread, but I couldn't find one that summarizes them in a list.

If anyone has additional airlines to include, it would be great if they could quote the reply with the list and add the other airline to the list so it stays in one piece.

Thanks for any help on this.

(By the way, one thing I've done on a couple trips is wear a turtleneck. When I vape in my seat I pull the collar out, blow the vapor down inside the shirt, and let the collar go. No vape haze in the overhead reading lights when the cabin lights are turned down at night.)

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Could anyone post a list of airlines known to prohibit e-cig use on board the flight? There have been various airlines mentioned in replies in the thread, but I couldn't find one that summarizes them in a list.

If anyone has additional airlines to include, it would be great if they could quote the reply with the list and add the other airline to the list so it stays in one piece.

Thanks for any help on this.

(By the way, one thing I've done on a couple trips is wear a turtleneck. When I vape in my seat I pull the collar out, blow the vapor down inside the shirt, and let the collar go. No vape haze in the overhead reading lights when the cabin lights are turned down at night.)

Eric, I have confirmed Southwest, American and Delta do post in the in-flight magazine "No E Cigs". However, really does not matter, if you openly vape on a airline, not much good will come of it.

Tempus Fugit

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Mos Eisley, Tatooine, Outer Rim
So I have spent a LONG time reading this entire thread because in a couple of weeks I am taking my first plane ride since I started vaping. I understand that no one has really talked about troubles with bringing their devices through airport security. Everyone talks about their penstyle, their 510, even their Chucks, but nobody has mentioned anything about box mods. I have a Bartleby (looks like most other 3.7v battery box mods in case you aren't familiar), and I plan on bringing my Vypr (typical cylinder style). The Bartleby has a built in charger that hooks up to the computer through mini USB. Since I'll have my laptop, I won't have to carry any external chargers other than my USB cable. Both devices use the 14500 battery, and with one in each device, I will have no loose batteries to carry either. I can just put either battery into the Bartleby to charge it while I am on my trip.

OK, so, my question is, am I going to have problems with the Bartleby at security? I mean it is kind of an odd looking device... I could see where someone might mistake it for some kind of detonator or something, even though the thousands of sets of keys security must see every day probably have little boxes with buttons that could easily be detonators too. I plan on putting both devices, some atties, cartos, and a few 6ml bottles of ejuice into a small case in my carry on. I also plan to print up a little business card with an explanation of what it all is. I figure these methods may be enough, but I was curious if anyone else had taken a box mod through security before.

Also, I was hoping to be able to vape on the plane, the longest leg of the trip is Tucson, AZ to Atlanta, GA. That's a pretty long trip, but unfornuately after a quick check of Delta's website, I found this:

Devices You Can't Use
For safety reasons, you may not operate the following devices onboard:

•Two-way transmitters such as walkie-talkies, amateur radios, citizen band (CB) radios, 49 MHz transmitters
•Devices designed to radiate radio frequency energy on specific frequencies
•Peripheral devices for computers or games connected by cable
•AM/FM radios
•Portable television sets
•Remote control toys
•Bluetooth-enabled devices
•Personal Air Purifiers
•Smokeless cigarette/cigar/pipe devices

Damn. Looks like I better bring some nic gum. "Safety reasons", eh?

Anyway, box mods through security? Anyone??

basilray

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2010
Minneapolis
www.youtube.com

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I fly frequently and for the first time noticed that the flight attendant said "smoking and smokeless tobacco products are prohibited on this flight." I can only guess that meant ecigs. How would they even know if someone is using a snu? It was a Delta flight.

Yep, noticed that on a regional flight about 4 months ago, no way they can enforce it.

MarBro

Sep 23, 2010
East Texas
Hey Guys,
I just got back from a trip from the US to Germany to UK and back. I took AA on the flight from US to Germany. No problems with TSA at all, in fact they were very curious about whether it worked like they had heard. On the plane, one of the FA's had one also and told me to keep it on the down-low but to go ahead. They said that they put the rule in the Flight Mag to give them some authority to ask you to stop in case someone complains or some idiot lights an analog. He even invited me back to the FA's "nook" in the back of the plane so I could stay out of sight.
From Germany to UK I was on BA. No issue at all on that plane. Vaped openly and no one even seemed to care. All three airports didn't give me any problem either. I think that if you are prepared to explain what you are doing and don't get "flaunty" about it, you would do fine. But then again, I'm kind of an "out front" sort.
Good luck and Happy Vaping.

HappyHooligan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2010
Welsh, LA
I traveled from nashville to afghanistan with stops in atlanta, Ireland, and Kuait. I vaped in every airport and every airplane to include the airforce c-17 on the last leg. no one ever said anything to me. the only thing I did to hide the vape on the flights was blow down, it didn't hide it completely but there was not a huge cloud over my head. only got 1 funny look from one of the Flight attendants, but when she saw what I was doing she just smiled. at all the airports I just got the usual questions. what it is, if I liked it and where I got it. no trouble at all and I never tried to hide and no one had ant issues with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread