Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
don't know about the major airlines but i can tell you that i read one blog there recently where a guy travelling on a small local chinese airline was baffled to learn that electronic cigarettes were banned on his flight along with all other kinds of tobacco products. it was his first encounter with them and he had thought it was a translation error until he "wikipediaed" it when he got home.

still i hope this is not the way other airlines will go and maybe it won't be as more of them look to make their revenue from selling onboard gear. they would be mad to miss an opportunity to cater to smokers. they could name any price once the seatbelt is clipped in.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I don't know what I'd do if e-cigs were explicitly banned.... On my flight they specifically mentioned smoking and use of any tobacco product as being banned. Since I wasn't doing either, I felt fine. But I was very discreet, even though I was in an aisle seat. If they mentioned e-cigs, I would be a little more worried, although I could maybe claim that I was asleep while they mentioned it.... What worries me is the "any tobacco product" ban. If someone wants to use snus, what is their problem? It does not smell, it's not smoking, and it most certainly does not harm anyone else on the plane. If they can ban that, then they can do anything they want to e-cigs.... And they do not sem to care about making smokers more willing to fly.

SpyderDan

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2008
Long Beach, California
I flew back and forth to Las Vegas last week on Jet Blue, and privately vaped in my seat without any trouble. I had an aisle to myself both ways, and I don't think anybody noticed.

No problems going through security. I was carrying an 801 and a cigarette hard pack that I use to carry 2 spare batteries, 1 spare atomizer, and a few carts and vials of liquid.

I put them in my carry-on bag the first time, to see if it would raise any eyebrows when going through the x-ray machine. They took my toothpaste and hair product away, but didn't bother with the e-smoking gear at all. On the way back, I kept everything on my person, and had no problem.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
I put my e-cigs in my carry on (one assembled, plus 4 batteries and 2 atomizers here and there), and little plastic bottles in a baggy, and nobody had a problem when I went through security. I was loaded, though, in that I had a laptop, cell phone, digital camera, MP3 player, and several other electronic parts in my carry on (although I had gotten those pieces through before). I am a little concerned should I get the dreaded SSS (or whatever it is) boarding pass, where they take apart all your belongings. Someone on this thread got it, however, and did not have a problem.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I did do some looking around the other day because I had a woman ask this question of us. In hunting, I was guided towards a thread on cabincrew.com and there are currently three airlines that have put the electronic cigarette in a memo to their staff as not being smokable on a plane. Reasons for citing was that other passengers might think that the e-cig is a real cig and start lighting up.

Now, as two of the three airlines are European based, it is our assumption that it will not take long before airlines in the US start making their decisions and the FAA is currently leaving it up to the individual airlines to make such decisions.

Link to my post so you can read and agree or disagree: Using your Electronic Cigarette on an Airplane | e-Cigarettes - Electronic Cigarettes

PTJD

Vaping At FL370
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 20, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I am a little concerned should I get the dreaded SSS (or whatever it is) boarding pass, where they take apart all your belongings. Someone on this thread got it, however, and did not have a problem.

Yes that was me in Boston (BOS) I had to change flights at the last minute and get the TSA Nazi when travel plans change.
I just did Oklahoma City (OKC) Denver (DEN) Orange County (SNA) and back with no problem, now I DO NOT VAPE OPENLY or Flaunt It!!!
I fly at least once a month to Asia, Europe or N. America and had no problems. Even if the airlines ban E-Cigs if you are discreet you will be fine. On my last leg from Denver (Den) to OKC (Okc) I sat next to a Skywest Pilot going home and asked and showed him my Janty KB and I had no problem after I explained to him what it was, I still blew the vape down towards my feet so no one else noticed.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Mostly, you have actual attendants facing a new situation. But here's the way the question will be phrased for management: Do we want to allow a device that looks like a cigarette, with exhalations that appear to be smoke, to be used in flight?

Now, ask what problems might pop up among non-smoking or cigarette-deprived passengers. I think the policy answer is easy. These will not be allowed as a matter of policy.

Appearance matters.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
I think it will be very hard to stop people using their e-cigs on board if they are discreet. I think open/blatant vaping is not a good idea as certain types of people may be alarmed by what they 'think' is smoke. However you would not be able to tell if passengers had used them in the bathroom or under a blanket or held in the vapor though. I suppose the ideal for air travel would be Janty's new stick device with a liquid with no visible vapor on exhalation like the vegas. But even the stick shape of device imo would help.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Betty, discretion is the answer. On airplanes. In public! Last night, I e-smoked when I felt like it during a school Christmas concert. No one noticed. Vaped at a funeral the other day. No one noticed. There is no good reason to flaunt our "legal to smoke anywhere" nonsense to others.

I should also note that I decided long ago to not rely on just the e-cig for nicotine. That's what snus are for. That's what Stonewall dissolvables are for. That's what Oliver Twist tobacco bits are for. Use whatever is appropriate in a given situation. Don't taunt the Big Dog. He will bite.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
I totally agree with you bob if you are discreet the question of what you are doing is unlikely to be raised. I think your comments are very wise and others should also explore different avenues with regard to their nicotine requirements. I have never heard of 'Oliver Twist tobacco bits' what are these, they sound like something you would be given in a workhouse :) Do you buy them in the pharmacy in the US?

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
when I travel, i personally put some nic gum in my bag. and e-smoke where it is reasonable. i don't want to draw ridiculous attention to myself since the airport is a bad place to draw attention.

i am having a discussion elsewhere regarding smoking bans and i think i have pinpointed why bans really bother me... it is the fault of smokers. if years ago when asked to put the ciggy out most smokers had done so out of respect for the person sitting next to them, then we might not be seeing bans. Instead, enough smokers said screw you and kept on smoking. There is such a lack of respect for fellow brothers and sisters that now we feel we must control each other.

Being discreet and being respectful... that is the ticket.

TB... your policy philosophy is dead on... that is what is most likely to happen.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Just to answer Betty's question: Oliver Twist tobacco bits are little hard pieces of tobacco, smaller than a pencil eraser, that rest in the mouth like snus pouches, between cheek and gums. Nicotine is absorbed from them. They come in numerous flavors -- mint is good -- and I order online, although some local tobacco stores carry them. I don't really recommend them, because they have a very strong taste that many will find disagreeable.

Our guardians of NRT now say it is safe to use multiple pieces of NRT items. You can put on two patches, for instance, or chew several pieces of Nicorette gum. People should still go easy on this while flying, since 38,000 feet in a window seat is the last place you want to get nauseous. But there are ways to knock back nicotine cravings without puffing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread