Travel and Vaping E-smoking on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slianfoxob

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2008
Bethlehem, PA
Mostly, you have actual attendants facing a new situation. But here's the way the question will be phrased for management: Do we want to allow a device that looks like a cigarette, with exhalations that appear to be smoke, to be used in flight?

Now, ask what problems might pop up among non-smoking or cigarette-deprived passengers. I think the policy answer is easy. These will not be allowed as a matter of policy.

Appearance matters.

all the more reason to distance ourselves from analog smokers. the more it looks like a cigarette the more we will be lumped into that group.

Foxy

Singalo

Dec 21, 2008
Arlington, VA
Betty, discretion is the answer. On airplanes. In public! Last night, I e-smoked when I felt like it during a school Christmas concert. No one noticed. Vaped at a funeral the other day. No one noticed. There is no good reason to flaunt our "legal to smoke anywhere" nonsense to others.

I should also note that I decided long ago to not rely on just the e-cig for nicotine. That's what snus are for. That's what Stonewall dissolvables are for. That's what Oliver Twist tobacco bits are for. Use whatever is appropriate in a given situation. Don't taunt the Big Dog. He will bite.
I am a greek!!! ...I mean I agree!

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
I totally disagree that we should distance ourselves from cigarette smokers. I am still one, and I know that others on this forum are also. It is this very philosophy that is the most contentious aspect of smoking bans....separating people and creating a classism within our society. Denormalizing smoking is a detestable practice that the Nazis and other nightmare governments used as one method of gaining control of people's public lives. Cigar and pipe smokers sometimes try do distance themselves from smokers as do pot smokers. It is a foolish and contemptible practice that I want no part of even if I never smoke another cigarette. If e smokers have the attitude that they are now better than their fellow cigarette smokers, then I would distance myself from that community. To do so is to create a society of isolationism, based upon people's lifestyle preferences, and e smokers do so without full knowledge of what this lifestyle choice will bring them in the future. Isolationism creates little pockets of people who lose power to control what happens to them. Unite with your fellow smokers, whether it be pipe, cigarettes, cigar, whatever; and we will all become stronger. OPPOSE smoking bans, for if you don't, it is certain that one day, your e smoking will become banned as well. Really, it is time to fight back NOW. The fact that many here have opted for e smoking over cigarette smoking is a good thing for you, but it does not make you above others who have not made that choice. If you want to turn off others to e smoking, distancing yourself from the community that is your audience, is a good way to do so.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'm a little confused by your philosophy. If e-smokers do NOT distance themselves from cigarette smokers, then they will be treated exactly as smokers are. Same restrictions. Same taxes. Same public judgment. Is that what you want?

The more e-smoking resembles cigarette smoking to non-smokers, the bigger the foot that will come down on us. Surely you understand this. E-smoking is not smoking. No tobacco. No second-hand smoke. No fire hazard. No identified health danger. Not at all like cigarette smoking. Mark it a BIG difference and note it large!

Bellinghamster

ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2008
Bellingham, WA USA
Denormalizing smoking is a detestable practice that the Nazis and other nightmare governments used as one method of gaining control of people's public lives.

I want to "fight the power", but in my experience likening everyday governmental interference in private affairs with the practices of the Nazi party only brands you as a fanatic... and a fanatic with no real experience with atrocity.

Smoking is not "normal". How can inhaling superheated pollution be normal? It was accepted for many years - centuries, really - but only because you were more likely to die from poor sanitation, starvation, childbirth, or a plain ol' battle-axe than live long enough to reap the terrible harvest of long-term smoking.

Please share the knowledge (and of course not discriminate against our unenlightened brethren) - but let's not chain ourselves to the "tree" of cigarette smoking. They will chop it down anyway...

chicagobrad01

ECF Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
Being discreet is key!

I'm actually a Flight Attendant and vape in the back galley during flights, as long as my fellow FA's are fine with it its not big deal. I just try my best to keep it out of site with the passengers. Have even gone in the Lav's to vape, just make sure to "drain the sink" and let the vapors be sucked down the drain. I have yet to test weather or not it'll set the smoke alarm off or not, I know some of the girls hair sprays do.

....besides, most all the passengers that even get caught actually smoking real cigs in the Lav's, nothing ever happens to them, just a slap on the wrist. But ya didn't hear that from me!!!
;)

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
just got back from vacation. I have a blue led so it isn't so frightening for others... but I sat in my seat on the plane and vaped. I did blow it towards my feet since the air was apparently not working on the plane and it was hot in there.

In the airport did it right in the open, no holding back. Only had one woman look at me funny and then with a brief explanation, she was all over it and wanted several for her kids who she's been begging to quit.

Reign

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2008
Maryland
Just got back from Illinois today. On the way down I semi-discreetly vaped from BWI to O-Hare in Chicago and a little more openly from O-Hare to Moline, IL. On the way home today, however, I was a little braver and decided to just go all out and If something was said, I would explain and abide by any final decisions made. Pulled out my 901 and vaped to all hell at 30 thousand feet. Noone said anything. Got a chuckle from a woman across the row and double take from a stewardess but I think my blue LED kinda helped that one out.

Had my wife take a few pictures since I said earlier in this thread I would so pics to come soon.

Also, this was on United Airlines.

Question - did anyone have a problem getting through security scans with their E-cig equipment? I want to use this on a plane when I travel later in the year, but don't want to get it confiscated and be assed out when I get off the plane. :)

Edit - I just realized this thread was 18 pages long. I looked back and saw a bunch of folks saying they had no problems getting it through. However, Id be interested to see if anyone else has any experience with this recently?

Last edited:

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
I had two atomizers, four batteries, and 12 cartridges on myself. My husband had about the same. We also sent four full kits and 200 cartridges in the luggage. No problems. They didn't even open our cases but then again, it must not have been our random turn.

Either way, I had one fully assembled in my bag and the other ones just lufting around. No problems.

CalPilot89

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2008
Cleveland Ohio
Again, i have posted in other threads... The TSA will not take away your ecigs through any checkpoints here in the US... We are free and clear.. The only problem is the carriers "company policies," that will stop you on board the aircraft.. As I stated earlier, the company that I work for has a company policy against e-cigs... They do not want us vaping in view of other passengers.. This is due to perception.. But it is still legal... Oh and I have the cockpit door between you and me so you can't see it anyway!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread