Not open for further replies.

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
ABBA: Never has a band done so much, with so little. :lol:

Second runner up: Ace of Base. :D
Anna
I never realized how much I liked (some) disco music, until I grew older. I was a 15 year old rocker in '77, and had just begun to play guitar. Lynyrd Skynyrd, UFO, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Queen, Boston, Rory Gallagher, Kansas, RUSH, Bob Seger, Steve Miller Band, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Johnny Winter, Mahogany Rush, Peter Frampton, and Rainbow were some of the go-to rock acts of the era. We use to hangout at the disco techs, since that's were most of the girls were. :D

Any musician worth his/her salt cannot deny the talent in some of those acts. Bee Gees, Earth Wind & Fire, ABBA, etc... The south's own Atlanta Rhythm Section "Imaginary Lover" was a staple slow-dance number at every disco, as was Aerosmith's Home Tonight. Point being, in those days there was something for everyone, and no "genre" label assigned due something as elemental as cadence and hair style. :offtopic:

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Believe me, I love ABBA. But, I still contend that somehow their collective lack of talent led to some amazing music.

Kind of how Bono was going to be the lead guitarist and couldn't learn to play. The Edge was actually going to be the lead singer (and he's far more talented musically than Bono, including as a singer) but it would have been a completely different band and maybe not so successful. I still contend that much of U2's success had to do with Brian Eno capitalizing on Bono's intense focus on singing on the high side of the note (plus, he eventually got singing lessons... but, he still sings on the high side of the note).

Nothing wrong with successful music with less talented artists... .It's a thing, and U2 was "my" band of adolescence. Even though there are far better musicians. Of course, U2's REAL thing is that those guys just jelled with each other and the sum is greater than the collective parts.

I was supposed to go to Julliard and be a violinist and also received much singing training. I notice these things, I don't judge them.

Disco CAN be fantastic!!!!

Anna

jcoopercam

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2009
Bono... Founder of the "mullet"! :D They were great back in the day. I saw them Gainesville, FL on the UF tour. Transmission was smoking (though not as hard as we were) the whole way there. I don't care for their later recordings as much. They went a little off the rails with politics, polished productions, and what could be interpreted as "selling-out" was a drag. Submitting their last album as a free Apple download basically turned their music into "spam" for selling products.

Your Bono vs Dave Evans is comparable to Roger Daltrey vs Pete Townsend. Clearly, Pete Townsend was the real talent behind the band, and was a much better vocalist compared to Roger Daltrey.

Although he doesn't emulate him, one of Dave Evans (and Bono) biggest influences was Rory Gallagher. I don't think there are many guitarists who don't hold Rory up as the greatest ever... I sure do. A reporter for Rolling Stone once asked Jimi Hendrix; "How's it feel to be the greatest guitar player in the world?" Jimi replied; "I don't know? Go ask Rory Gallagher."

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've bought items on eBay since 1998, and was a seller on there from 2002-2010, when I finally closed my store. I've bought a whole bunch of NOS and used vintage motorcycle parts (and 1 whole vintage motorcycle from a seller in OH), Swarovski crystal vintage jewelry, jewelry making supplies, a bunch of vaping beginner kits in 2014-2015 (for friends, past co-workers, and newbies wanting to try vaping), plastic bottles for my DIY eliquids, etc. I don't buy really high dollar items on there...unless I've either had past great experiences with the seller on lower cost items or I know him/her personally.

There are still vaping items listings that will get pulled by eBay. Those are usually the ones someone has reported to eBay, and often it's by a member who has a friend or relative selling the same or similar thing. Also, some brands of vaping gear gets pulled more frequently than others do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread