Ecigarette Research Questionnaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelook

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
As a person who tried over many years many stop-smoking meds and hypnosis, I see a lot of those questions are moot to my situation, and filling out the survey would not be accurate. Mostly on the 'meds' subject. I didn't finish the survey, found some answers to some questions problematic to answer truthfully, the right answers not available or poorly worded. This looks like another ASH questionaire.

I have to agree with this statement, I did fill it out, but the questions need to be worded different, I wish that there had been a place for comments beside each question.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I commented frequently. The survey troubles me in that it lumps cigarettes, cigars and pipe use in one "smoking" category. So .. I'm still a smoker. But I'm not. I don't inhale smoke any longer, so I consider myself an ex-smoker at this time, although I puff my pipe daily.

It also failed anywhere to ask whether the e-cig is being used for addiction or habit. I use it for habit; I use snus and dissolvables for addiction. A clear distinction needs to be made.

I tried to make clear the notion that "nicotine only" is not the answer to every smoker's addiction problem. Certainly not mine. I need the other alkaloids that I can get by using snus or Stonewall. E-smoking does NOT deliver those needed alkaloids, and thus cannot satisfy my own addiction.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
As a person who tried over many years many stop-smoking meds and hypnosis, I see a lot of those questions are moot to my situation, and filling out the survey would not be accurate. Mostly on the 'meds' subject. I didn't finish the survey, found some answers to some questions problematic to answer truthfully, the right answers not available or poorly worded. This looks like another ASH questionaire.
I found many questions moot but keep in mind that this is a very broad survey intended to cover a wide range of individual circumstances.

One of the two researchers publishing this survey is Dr. Chris Bullen who is the lead author of the recently published New Zealand "Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e cigarette) on desire to smoke and withdrawal, user preferences and nicotine delivery: randomised cross-over trial" (see this thread: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-cigarette-news/83932-latest-health-nz-study-published.html)

So although this may look to some like an ASH survey, fortunately nothing could be further from the truth, these are the scientists we want doing impartial and valuable research. I think it worthwhile to spend the time to answer the survey as best one can and to add comments to further describe your experience where the questions don't cover it.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
I commented frequently. The survey troubles me in that it lumps cigarettes, cigars and pipe use in one "smoking" category. So .. I'm still a smoker. But I'm not. I don't inhale smoke any longer, so I consider myself an ex-smoker at this time, although I puff my pipe daily.

It also failed anywhere to ask whether the e-cig is being used for addiction or habit. I use it for habit; I use snus and dissolvables for addiction. A clear distinction needs to be made.

I tried to make clear the notion that "nicotine only" is not the answer to every smoker's addiction problem. Certainly not mine. I need the other alkaloids that I can get by using snus or Stonewall. E-smoking does NOT deliver those needed alkaloids, and thus cannot satisfy my own addiction.
I did it similarly, with comments to explain my overlapped cigarette/vaping process and my discovery that I needed some tobacco alkaloids other than nicotine.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I have no idea how to answer these 2 questions.

Are you currently trying to quit smoking or to stop using tobacco?
Are you currently trying to reduce your tabacco use?

I have quit analogs. So what should my answer be?
If I answer Yes to both, will the results deduce me as a "trying to quit" smoker instead of vaper?

I believe that section is titled for SMOKERS. So you skip those questions if you are not a smoker anymore.

I could not answer the questionaire at all, the questions do seem slanted toward another ASH can!
Agree, this seems anti-tobacco, not pro people. Also questions and answers not really apply to ex-smoking vapers. Especially successful ones. Not representative to our cause at all.

I thought that too, until I clicked the "submit answers" button and found out that there are three more pages! It definitely makes a lot more sense the further you get into it.

It's not ASH people at all - the researcher heading it is a close friend of Dr. Murray Laugesen of Health New Zealand and he gave him the thumbs up!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
@Kristin - sorry if this conflicted with a CASAA survey? Let me know what's running there and I will try to sync better in future.

Hi Roly,

Sorry, I had been corresponding with SJ about it.

PLEASE consolidate all these university survey threads into one thread or you'll have a mass hysteria of intrigue and confusion. We need to keep the discussion in one place to make sure people read the answers.

I'm nearly done with the CASAA survey and request to have it ADDED to the first post of the consolidated university thread and the title changed. We need people to understand that there are TWO surveys to fill out - both with distinctly different purposes. (Sorry, I had no idea this other research survey was coming out.) If we have two different threads going, people may only take one survey and ignore the other, thinking it's the same thing.

Will that work?

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Yes, sorry Kristin - totally my fault, I should have copied Roly into our email conversation.

I had no idea that this survey was about to be carried out whatsoever. Annoying co-incidence. Don't worry though, we will get your survey as much exposure as possible.

SJ

STiCaveman

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
Phx, AZ
As a heads-up if you are reading here before taking the survey...

The first page of the questionaire asks what kinds of medications and delivery methods you have used.

One of the options is "nicotine inhaler" but this is NOT referring to eCigs.

I am pointing this out since eCigs are marketed, and commonly referred to as an inhaler, and for anyone not familiar with actual nicotine inhalers (like the ones used for asthma), the questionaire can be misleading.

If you put "nicotine inhaler" as an answer on the first page, you will get a 3rd page asking you to compare the inhaler vs. an eCigarette.

just my 2¢ :p

-Caveman

Hagbard Jones

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
Maryland
We looked at the circumstances surrounding the request, and it appears that the research is independent, connected with social / medical research into smoking cessation methods, therefore ECF supports this research project.http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/health-safety-e-smoking/

Why do we support it? E-cigs are not smoking cessation products. I did take the test but DID not like how the questions were worded as they were easily answered wrong by fast moving people. All e-cigarette questions should have been on one page, all tobacco questions should have been on one page and all smoking cessation questions should have been a page. The way it was it was very easy to mix answers. Like the one: are you trying to quit using tobacco? I don't use tobacco, I am not addicted to tobacco, I hate and detest tobacco. I also stated that fact at the end of the test when asked if there was anything else I would like to ADD about my tobacco use. Why is the EFC supporting Tobacco surveys when we joined the EFC I thought it was together in the harmony of being NON smokers?

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
i filled it out and thought it was one of the better surveys out there. it goes into more detail about use, relief of symptoms, satisfaction with the quality of e-cigs, models of e-cigs used, preferences, juice questions, etc.

just read the questions carefully. language translation is probably lacking a bit, but it wasn't hard to answer when read in context of the questions themselves.

appreciate you posting it. hope the participation by vapers helps the cause.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Kate51 wrote:
I could not answer the questionaire at all, the questions do seem slanted toward another ASH can! Agree, this seems anti-tobacco, not pro people. Also questions and answers not really apply to ex-smoking vapers. Especially successful ones. Not representative to our cause at all.

Kate's claim is false and counterproductive.

I'm familiar with some of JF Etter's previous surveys, which I considered
excellent and highly objective.

A decade ago, his survey of 500 US smokers found only 16% agreed that
nicotine gum or patches help people quit smoking.
Etter JF, Perneger TV, Attitudes toward nicotine replacement therapy in
smokers and ex-smokers in the general public. Clinical Pharmocol Therapy
2001 Volume 69, 175-83

Unfortunately for public health, neither that important finding, nor the
meta analyses findings that 93% of NRT users switched back to cigarettes
within 6 months, have been reported by/in the news media nor acknowledged by
drug companies, government health agencies or drug industry funded anti
tobacco groups. Instead, they tell the public that NRT and Rx products are
the only effective and proven ways to quit smoking.

Also, the coauthor of this survey is Chris Bullen from New Zealand, who just coauthored (with Murray Laugesen) the first published clinical trial on e-cigarettes at:
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/2010 Bullen ECig.pdf

But in contrast to JF Etter's expectation of 1,500 survey participants by
December 2011, I suspect that 1,500 e-cigarette users could complete the
survey in the next week.

I have informed JF Etter of this, and (if that occurs) urged him to anaylze and publish the results of the survey in the next several months (instead of waiting until 2012, when e-cigarettes could be banned everywhere if intolerant prohibitionists get their way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread