ECX 100mg nic seems way stronger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony01

May 3, 2018
Anybody else had this problem?

They screwed up my order failing to ship one flavoring, then took the slowest method to fix their screwup, and completely ignored my comment about their nicotine. I bought their stuff a few weeks ago and haven’t had time to deal with it till now, but their website is down.

I have no way to test it but I’m not stupid. I mixed my first batch of 9mg juice assuming 100mg/ml and would get nic overdose after two hits. I mixed juice a second time using 200mg as the number for the calculator and still it was too strong. I just mixed some with 250mg and it is getting closer to accurate but still too strong.

Anybody else have this issue? I highly doubt they are going to refund me.

Reactions: stols001

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
...There is a Forum limit of 200mg that can be discussed. (Edited the thread title)

Stop guessing about that nic either wait to hear from them or test it before using any more.
Several places sell test kits - one example : Nicotine Test Kit

You must know what you are working with.

...and moved this to DIY E-Liquid from General E-Liquid Discussion

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

They screwed up my order failing to ship one flavoring, then took the slowest method to fix their screwup, and completely ignored my comment about their nicotine. I bought their stuff a few weeks ago and haven’t had time to deal with it till now, but their website is down.

I have no way to test it but I’m not stupid. I mixed my first batch of 9mg juice assuming 100mg/ml and would get nic overdose after two hits. I mixed juice a second time using 200mg as the number for the calculator and still it was too strong. I just mixed some with 250mg and it is getting closer to accurate but still too strong.

I just received my last nic order from ECX a few weeks ago and it seems fine. At 12mg strength in my mix I can sense a little (normal) nic bite, but it's smooth as any I've vaped.

Even though it's not usually necessary you might shake the bottle vigorously for a minute or so to make sure the mix is fully blended and see if that helps. It's supposed to be blended thoroughly when it's created.

I shook it with vigor when it arrived and I shake it again every time I DIY. I know it's supposed to be mixed thoroughly when it's made by the vendor, and PG/VG/Nic doesn't separate when mixed, but at least I know it's mixed if I do it again when I use it.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

I understand that you're not really using 200mg/mL nor 250mg/mL, but you just input that strength into the calculator...as a way to use less 100mg/mL nic base to see how it vaped. However, it would help if you'd post exactly what you used and the quantity of each thing. Also, what PG/VG ratio and nic mg you wanted your mix to end up at, too.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I have the same questions @JCinFLA has:
-- How are you calculating what/how much to add? (What e-liquid calculator are you using?)
-- How are you measuring out your ingredients? (syringes, scale, counting drops, eye-balling, ???)
-- What was your intended recipe? ( what were you trying to make?)
-- What are the specific amounts/measurements of all ingredients you combined?

Answer those (^^^) questions and we might be able to help you figure out what might be going on.

The occurrence of a poorly mixed bottle (described in the vaping community as having "hot spots"), I guess is a still a remote possibility, though I have not heard of an actual incident for at least three or four years now. I also could see a case of simple mislabeling; where during the production/labeling process something failed and the contents and the label don't match. Again, I can't remember the last time I heard of this happening.

As @classwife already suggested; a nicotine test/titration kit would be able to give you a more definitive answer. There are several places that offer them:
Wizard Labs
Nude Nicotine
Nicotine River
EcigExpress
There are also how-to videos on YouTube demonstrating how to use them. Search the phrase "nicotine titration" to find them.

ECF even has a sticky thread offering instructions on how to gather the materials, and using them, to do you own titration here: Simple, easy DIY test for mg/mL nicotine. A Follow Up on DVAP's Method

Just remember; the kit/testing is only as precise as the person doing the testing is willing to be. The more accurate/precise you are willing to be measuring; the more accurate your results are going to be. Eyeball measuring will not cut it here. Follow all directions closely.

Though poorly mixed bottles, or mislabeled bottles, are not impossible; in my opinion, the most likely explanation is operator error. Please answer all four questions at the beginning of this post and we'll see if we can help you figure it out.:)

NatashaTMT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2018
Nashville, TN
ECX are sweet as sugar to me. I just love them! I had a missing item in one order. To put it lightly, they took care of it and then some within a day! I’d be extremely surprised to hear they wouldn’t help get to the bottom of this, if it is in fact a “bad" batch.

Tony01

May 3, 2018
I just want a nicotine that, when it says its 100mg/ml, is ACTUALLY 100mg/ml so that I dont have to spend an hour or two figuring out what it is.

I've put it at 250mg and this seems accurate if not a bit too strong still.

umm.. ok.. nicotine test kit for 8.99? plus shipping? so I have to spend money to find out what I already know? just to prove it to you guys? send me a test kit for free and I'll prove it to you. cause right now I'm genuinely ...... off!

-- How are you calculating what/how much to add?
e-liquid calculator on e-liquid-recipes dot com
-- How are you measuring out your ingredients?
100ml graduated cylinder with 1.5ml droppers. I do not mix droppers. the nicotine dropper stays with the nic.
-- What was your intended recipe?
a clone of hulk tears with slightly higher pg (35% vs 30%), less flavoring, and slightly higher nic (9mg)
-- What are the specific amounts/measurements of all ingredients you combined?
see attached photo.

Oh, btw, the missing item in my VERY FIRST AND ONLY ORDER was the capella fuji apple. I had made a mistake and meant to order a different fuji apple and asked them to send the one I wanted. But of course, not only could they not do that, they also couldn't use a faster shipping than the slowest one to fix their screwup! i TRIED mentioning the stronger nic but they completely ignored my comment!

BTW I have been using an industrial ultrasonic cleaner that keeps the tub warm to steep my stuff. This includes flavorings and such that I'm about to mix with, and juices I have already mixed. I could get in trouble for using this at work. So yes I do understand that stuff needs to be shaken, not stirred.

Attachments

• hulktearsclonediy.JPG
    hulktearsclonediy.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
If it really is 200mg/ml or stronger...then you got a great deal and have twice the amount of 100mg/ml or more.

Considering your windfall, the test kit is just about free and may provide a bit more accuracy to support your suspicions.

I would be interested in getting free nicotine....are there batch and control numbers on the bottle(s)?

Best of luck.
I

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
How much did you raise the nic level? Even a 2% bump will make a difference in how your body handles it.
No sense getting upset with questions when ask for opinions or experiences. If you want solid answers you need to give complete details.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
umm.. ok.. nicotine test kit for 8.99? plus shipping? so I have to spend money to find out what I already know? just to prove it to you guys? send me a test kit for free and I'll prove it to you. cause right now I'm genuinely ...... off!
Wow; that was a rather hostile reply.
You asked for help.
We are trying to understand more completely all of the possible variables, that may be influencing your mixing, so we might provide you with the most appropriate help.
If our suggestions, or requests for more information is offensive to you; then I will simply bow out.
Best of luck to you.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Dups is not doubt Duplicates.

Without testing it you have no real way of knowing if it is or isn't 100mg. Just because you don't think it is doesn't make more potent. Either call them and send it back for testing or test it yourself.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
What is dups ? ; )

There were duplicated threads - they are gone now :)

OP - We know you are upset but please mind your tone on this forum, these nice people here are trying to help you.
The suggestion of a testing kit was for you and your safety since you seem set on trying to use this and eyeball what you are making. The kit will give you accurate readings so can mix with confidence.

Mixing by the seat of your pants can be unsatisfactory at the minimum.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
All I can say is, I’ve been mixing four and a half years, and got most of my nic from them. I never had an issue, not with an order, not with the nic.

That said, if you are used to another brand, this may taste stronger to you. The taste of nic varies from brand to brand. That doesn’t mean the actual strength does.

I absolutely agree with classwife. We are only trying to assess the situation as best we can to give you the most helpful ideas we can.

Test the nic, prove it’s what it’s supposed to be or not. And if it’s not, contact ECX. You may want to keep in mind, if you do contact them, that you get more flies with honey.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com

I wouldn't just guess at the Nicotine content. If you feel they may have shipped over NICed base then either:

1. Buy a test kit (Well worth the investment if you intend to continue DIY)
2. Call them and tell them what you suspect and request they re-ship a new bottle or provide a refund.

I understand your frustration with your order but preaching to the quire will not fix your problem. I've ordered from them and many other places and have from time to time gotten some pretty skunky NIC. The first thing I do is e-mail or give the vendor a call. Most are more then willing to resolve the issue by refund or replacement.

If you get no where with them simply stop ordering from them and the folks here on the forum including myself will happily help you source your NIC or any other DIY product elsewhere.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
New nic can just feel different. It may be due to a variety of factors, and you may "feel" it is far stronger but that does not mean it IS.

I don't quite understand your hostility re: this vendor, if it were me, I'd be on the phone with them verifying the batch number and whatnot. I would simply state that if "feels" stronger to you than previous nicotine you could even ASK them to send you a nicotine tester so you can verify your "concerns" or to simply send it back, for a refund etc. I doubt you'd want a "replacement" but you could certainly try to return it and ask THEM to test it.

If it is in fact stronger to that extent (and I am somewhat doubtful that it is, although it is you know life, anything can happen) buying a test kit to tell you they "accidentally" sent you stronger nic is an INVESTMENT, nothing less or more. Because if I got accidentally another 1.5 "amount" of nic via an error, well yes, the error might bug me, but I would still acknowledge I had "more" nic for FREE basically.

But, how something "feels" to you really isn't an accurate barometer of performance at all times, etc. However, even if you "test" the nic and it IS 100 mg/ml, well you could still USE it, and at the same (reduced) percentages, which is also a bonus-- 100 mg/ml nic that "performs" for you like 250 mg/ml nic. I'd be ecstatic, personally at the idea that I could REDUCE my nic in that very easy, workable fashion.

You may feel you have "lost" in this equation, but I'm stating that NO you may have WON in this equation--- WHATEVER the actual nic content TURNS out to be. But it's not SAFE what you are doing, you really need to send it back OR test it. Those are your options and approaching it the way you are doesn't make sense for you, your heath, your pocketbook, ANYTHING.

Best of luck, and I'm not being hostile. I'm merely pointing out the various options you have available. ASSUMING it's anything at all other than 100 mg/ml nic, well, you need to find out. It's not a real hardship and you will feel better knowing for sure.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread