Education... Wait! Don't scroll past just yet. Want to learn, or teach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I see a dangerous situation developing... one that will (and probably already has) cast a negative light on the vaping community at large.
People with mechs, APVs and RBAs who know nothing about them - potentially dangerous to themselves and those around them - who need education and knowledge... if they're willing. (this last bit may be a issue unto itself)

There are those that can learn from reading, those that visual learners... and those that learn from direct classroom format training, where a combination of the above, plus "hands-on", is the path to enlightenment.

I propose that a group of well-rounded, knowledgeable and advanced vapists (you know who you are - and aren't) get together and develop a classroom format training program... to teach Ohm's law formulas, battery safety, DMM use and coil building. Class would probably not go over 2 hours, once a month to start... but who knows where it goes.

Three, seven... 44 people - it really doesn't matter how many, because it just means more areas of the country, the world - will (eventually) have a trained and knowledgeable "teacher" in their area.

As an ex tech instructor, I can provide information as well as methodology, process and procedure. You... for your location and area would participate in self-training as needed to insure you are sufficiently well-rounded to both teach and accurately answer most student questions.
You will be responsible to provide training aids (stuff you already have - and what you can "borrow" from students), securing of location and advertizing for the event(s).

Your local B&M might offer some help here... as it's in their best interests to support their local vape community. A small fee could be charged (although I'd prefer it was as free as possible) to cover instructor out-of-pocket expenses... unless we can get vaping manufacturer/distributor/vendor financial support.

Anyone interested in participating in, and working towards a classroom training program? You don't need to be a "rocket surgeon"... you just need to have a good understanding of the subjects at hand.

PM might be the best way to keep track of actual willing idiots volunteers... and I'd be happy to act as the clearing house/information exchange once we have a group going.

If you've read this far, thanks. Anyone - potential instructor or student - who'd like to post a comment is welcome. Tell me I'm way off the mark and this is a waste of time... or tell me something else.
good.gif

Last edited:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I agree this would be a great trend to see. Maybe even video them and post them on YouTube for those too remote to attend. I could defiantly see this as a vape shop sponsored event!
I'm no sub ohm guru... But I'm willing to learn.
I've gotten pretty good at coil building though, and know the basics!
Thanks for responding HE... and offering a suggestion.

The obvious upside to videos is the audience numbers... the down side is the lack of hands-on, and ability to discuss issues and concerns in real time, using training aids... and believe it or not, eye contact. ;-)

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I've been trying to steer people in the right direction on these forums since I started vaping. Battery safety, ohm's law, safe storage of batteries etc...
What I've found is you can only try to guide them to water it's up to them whether or not they want to drink.

Some people take advice pretty well and never look back, others just look the other way, there's nothing you can do about that but at least you tried.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Thanks for responding HE... and offering a suggestion.

The obvious upside to videos is the audience numbers... the down side is the lack of hands-on, and ability to discuss issues and concerns in real time, using training aids... and believe it or not, eye contact. ;-)

I agree in person is best, I was only saying that a lot of people may not have this available, and some is better than nothing. Maybe do it as a webcast so there is atleast the interactive component that isn't lossed...

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
Gearing this towards vape shops would be the biggest advancement. Most users try to learn, the ones who do not learn has nothing to do with resources being available they just simply do not want to imho. Most people and shops do not want to assume liability, if you start having to had out a waiver to teach someone something you have suddenly made the item in a question a liability and pushed something negative onto our vape gear. I don't know about official vape classes, I think vape meets, that feature a seminar would be more effective, and eliminate some of the liability concerns.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I agree in person is best, I was only saying that a lot of people may not have this available, and some is better than nothing. Maybe do it as a webcast so there is atleast the interactive component that isn't lossed...
That's a good idea... still limits the hands-on aspect, but far better than a cold, one-sided video. Sadly, I do not have a video camera... let alone webcast capabilities. Perhaps I'll contact someone in the industry I know, regarding this issue.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Gearing this towards vape shops would be the biggest advancement. Most users try to learn, the ones who do not learn has nothing to do with resources being available they just simply do not want to imho. Most people and shops do not want to assume liability, if you start having to had out a waiver to teach someone something you have suddenly made the item in a question a liability and pushed something negative onto our vape gear. I don't know about official vape classes, I think vape meets, that feature a seminar would be more effective, and eliminate some of the liability concerns.
All valuable considerations... thanks dragon for your insights. B&M based seminars are pretty much the unmentioned idea I had in my head.
I don't think liability is too much an issue... if conducted at B&Ms that already have liability insurance. If they don't, they'd be fools for selling mechs.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
To one and all, there is an ongoing discussion of this subject on Vape Faction... which also contains the "point" of my desire to do this. If you're not a member... join - it's a great site, and although primarily inhabited by and for advanced vapists... the members are not self-righteous asshats. ;-)

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Hmmmm...

I taught some basic electronics back in the day, and have been teaching motorcycle safety/beginning/advanced/track rider courses for the last ten years.

Not so big on curriculum development, but pretty well versed in adult learning principles.

Count me in, if there's anything I can do to contribute.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hmmmm...

I taught some basic electronics back in the day, and have been teaching motorcycle safety/beginning/advanced/track rider courses for the last ten years.

Not so big on curriculum development, but pretty well versed in adult learning principles.

Count me in, if there's anything I can do to contribute.
Big bonus points.

Consider yourself... on "The List". ;-)

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Thank you for taking this up, Flux. I’m certainly not your person for this (knowledge, location/transportation, health) but believe there is a great need for this. There’s a great need for everybody to be educated about the proper use of today’s batteries. My husband could get a broken military plane back in the sky again but I can’t convince him the bulging battery in his cell phone is dangerous. I wish you the best with this endeavor, it’s a potential lifesaver.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Just to keep everyone up to speed, I've contacted FastTech, Innokin, Madvapes, kangertech Vaperev and Alibaba, for assistance... Cloud Nine in the UK is next, with more to come. Any suggestions for manufacturer/distributor/vendors I've not considered?

I honestly don't expect much... but you never know how committed these companies can be until they're asked to do so.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Have you considered a Khan Academy type of approach? Lesson type videos with practice sessions following. Once you've mastered the first lesson, you move on to the next.

It's a pretty amazing site! I actually enjoy going through many of these lessons for fun!!:)

Here's a TED talk by Salman Khan: Let's use video to reinvent education It's a 20 minute video but WELL WORTH WATCHING!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thank you Susan... I'll look into it. I'm looking into a variety of formats that will be best suited to the general idea. This may, if I can get things going, develop into multiple formats to suit a variety of needs. Direct contact type seminars, video supported, webinars and straight video lessons.

I'm not super computer techy, so I'll be asking for assistance once we get enough instructors, support, a lesson plan etc etc etc... etc. ;-)

Right now, the tentative process, assuming all goes reasonably well... is:

1. Gather potential instructors - determine knowledge levels and personal scheduling.
  2. Gather support commitments from any and all who will support us with equipment, materials and finances.
  3. Create a base lesson plan.
  4. Develop teaching methodology.
  5. Train instructors as needed so that all are at a similar level of knowledge.
  6. Disseminate teaching materials, training aids and supplies to instructors.
  7. Post potential dates and develop a student roster.
  8. Begin classes.
I hope to begin this in the late fall, early winter and continue it into spring. At least, that's the tentative plan.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
I think it's a great idea, personally. I've always been impressed by your knowledge, Mr. Flux, but I've never even held anything besides a 510/eGo.

Nevertheless, I'd be happy to do anything I can. I have a bit of teaching experience at the college level (math), and I sure do love to write documents using LaTeX, and its Powerpoint-like extension, Beamer. I don't know if you envision a hand-out (or definition sheet, etc) being handy at such an event or otherwise, but that's what I can offer, at this point :)

Of course, I'd also be interested in learning, but I don't imagine there will be much action near me.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thank you for taking this up, Flux. I’m certainly not your person for this (knowledge, location/transportation, health) but believe there is a great need for this.
Just spreading the word to your vaping friends, and your local B&M (if any) would be terrific.
We may need your hubby to fix our private jet next year when we're a big time educational powerhouse.
rofl2.gif

Thanks Tutu. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread