Ever Vape with a Broken Bone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracyhayden

Aug 19, 2013
United States
Hi all,
I need to talk to someone who has broken a bone and ignored their doctors warning about nicotine slowing down the healing process. Basically, I want to know how things went for you and what the variables were.

My story... I crushed my ankle and had surgery on August 7th to pin the bones together. A week after my surgery I fell again and opened up the fracture. My doctor told me today not to vape because it could make the difference between walking again and never walking again.
I had dropped my nicotine level to 3mg 100% vg last week and I'm in that crazy adjustment period where you vape up the world until you level out. I'm vaping about 6ml a day lol. Normally I burn through 3. I know from online research that nicotine really is bad for bone healing. I just wanted to know how bad and if anyone had any suggestions.
Thank you!

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
I think that this would apply.....I had a spinal fusion in March, my surgeon said absolutely no smoking. I explained that I quit last Sept. by vaping and still was currently doing so. He had no problem with this, and said that carbon monoxide is the biggest thing to slow down bone growth. I have no idea if that is true, but I wasnt going to argue with him lol.

tracyhayden

Aug 19, 2013
United States
I think that this would apply.....I had a spinal fusion in March, my surgeon said absolutely no smoking. I explained that I quit last Sept. by vaping and still was currently doing so. He had no problem with this, and said that carbon monoxide is the biggest thing to slow down bone growth. I have no idea if that is true, but I wasnt going to argue with him lol.

That definitely applies, thank you! Its good to know another Dr's take on this also. I feel a little less terrified now. :)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I worked in surgery for over 35 years. The orthopaedic and neurosurgeons all said that NICOTINE is known to delay/prohibit bone growth. Even plastic & reconstructive surgeons will not do elective procedures until the patient has stopped smoking or dipping. So if you vape with nicotine, drop your nicotine levels to 3mg or none at all.

Much of the addiction to smoking tobacco is tied into the hand-to-mouth and inhalation/exhalation rituals. For best results with post-surgical healing, eliminate nicotine in your e-liquids.

Auntie Mame

Verified Member
May 26, 2014
Southern CA, United States
I didn't break a bone (this time-haha), but I did have some bone grafts in my jaw just after I quit smoking and switched to vaping. My dentist was thrilled that I was no longer smoking. I healed just fine. Having said that, here is my disclaimer: I am not a doctor and I don't play one on TV. :D Let's all hope you heal quickly and will be walking again soon!

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
I wouldn't contradict a doctors advise. But I can say this. After my recent root canal that lead to severe infection and lose of the tooth. The socket healed fine and about as fast as other healed after wisdom teeth that we're take out, but the infection still lingers, I really really wish I would have not used nicotine during the healing phase, the week or so I didn't vape at all I was doing really well. It was better then smoking, but I believe it did and does hinder my healing. I think it be wise for all of us to have so e 0mg around for times like these. I will probably order so e 0mg just to have around and maybe cut nic out of my life completely.

tracyhayden

Aug 19, 2013
United States
I worked in surgery for over 35 years. The orthopaedic and neurosurgeons all said that NICOTINE is known to delay/prohibit bone growth. Even plastic & reconstructive surgeons will not do elective procedures until the patient has stopped smoking or dipping. So if you vape with nicotine, drop your nicotine levels to 3mg or none at all.

Much of the addiction to smoking tobacco is tied into the hand-to-mouth and inhalation/exhalation rituals. For best results with post-surgical healing, eliminate nicotine in your e-liquids.

Party pooper. :p
Good info though, thank you! Last week, I overheard my surgeon telling the patient in the room next to me who had a broken leg, to quit smoking and use the patch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My surgeon also didn't come to see me after the surgery, didn't prescribe any pain meds, didn't give me a compression stocking or tell me to wear one, and failed to investigate when my incision turned black. I had considered just asking for a patch prescription just to see what he would say, then continue vaping my 3mg if he prescribed the patch. I guess I will try the zero.

Last edited:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
I vaped all through my injury. I broke my wrist...well not exactly my wrist but it was a scaphoid fracture. Apparently, it's a PITA to heal just because of the location & type of fracture it was to begin with. Heck, it didn't even show up in the initial x-ray so after suffering though another 10 days of pain with just a wrist brace it finally showed up in the 2nd set of x-rays. Thankfully, I was warned that this is often the case otherwise I would've never gone back. Needless, to say I vaped the entire 12 weeks I was in a cast & I was told that 12 weeks wasn't abnormal for this type of fracture. I think everyone's body is different so if the doc told you to cut out the nic I'd atleast try to dial it down a bit.

Last edited:

tracyhayden

Aug 19, 2013
United States
Thanks for the vibes Issy! I actually do meditate and am on mostly a whole foods diet. I also lowered my salt and sugar intake except for a chocolate bar here and there. ;)

I would say drop to 0mg and see how you do. If I were you, I could see myself going on a whole foods diet, 0 nic, and picking up meditation. Lol. Hopefully more with experience will chime in...I'm not a doctor. Best of luck, sending you positive healing vibes!

AshMPWrites

Verified Member
Aug 27, 2014
Chicago, IL
I had an elective cosmetic procedure some years ago, my plastic surgeon was emphatic that I stop smoking prior to the surgery and for a good while afterwards -- in his words: Forever. As I was addicted, I made it for a while -- until I could drive again and get myself to the store (but that's an addict for you). He smelled it on me when I in for a post-op check in and called me on the carpet for it -- I wish I could remember what he said, but the fact is smoking is horrible for someone recovering from a surgery, that's just what it is. If you're doctor is saying vaping has the same effects, could literally make it impossible for you to walk again ... yeah, that's not a risk I would feel comfortable taking, no matter how uncomfortable I was.

If you can, and as others have suggested, go to 0 nicotine. But before you put in that effort, ask your doctor if that's a reasonable alternative and something you can get away with without complications. Bottom line, take care of yourself...vaping with nicotine, or vaping in general, will be waiting for you on the other side of recovery, but first things first and I'd absolutely bow to the doctor on this one.

Good luck and I hope you heal up 10 times better than new.

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
...I overheard my surgeon telling the patient in the room next to me who had a broken leg, to quit smoking and use the patch. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. My surgeon also didn't come to see me after the surgery, didn't prescribe any pain meds, didn't give me a compression stocking or tell me to wear one, and failed to investigate when my incision turned black. I had considered just asking for a patch prescription just to see what he would say, then continue vaping my 3mg if he prescribed the patch. I guess I will try the zero.

I'm not arguing, but I don't understand. If nicotine is the problem, why is a nicotine patch ok?

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I'm completely baffled too.

Bad, just curious, what is so magical about 3mg? Don't doubt you, just curious.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When I had my appendix out this summer, afterward I was so sick for 4 days that I could not vape, just the smell made me gag. So after 4 days of not eating and not vaping, EVERYTHING tasted bad including vapor, but I was going nuts with cravings. So I went back to smoking, till I could tolerate the taste of vapor again -- it took a solid month to phase vaping back in and cigarettes back out, but my healing from the surgery went on just fine. And it seemed to me that smoking actual cigarettes was actually helpful, because I could not get rid of the post-surgery ........, till I had been back to smoking for a few days -- which was nearly 2 wks post surgery. I don't know how bad nicotine was for my healing, but I know I didn't have a hope in hell of addressing my severe dehydration till I got rid of the .........

Doctors will **ALWAYS** tell you "don't smoke." That's their favorite thing to say, and they'll even offer up reasons that *sound* logical, but it's primarily their prejudice speaking. It might not be good for you, but that's ALWAYS true; how many of us did it stop from smoking, even knowing that? And a lot of doctors don't know the difference between smoking and vaping, and don't care to learn, either. From my point of view, going without nicotine is bad for me, and it's far worse for everyone around me, and if I alienate my caregivers, what then?

Andria

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
In 1999 I broke both bones in my ankle above the attachment points and had them fixtured and screwed in place. No one told me not to smoke so I smoked my normal pack a day through the recovery time and had no issues. The cast came off at 5 weeks, x-rays were taken and my surgeon cleared me to start rehab in week 6. He told me the bones were strong and not to take it easy on them. I don't know if the bones would have healed faster or better if I had not smoked.

Having said that, "My doctor told me today not to vape because it could make the difference between walking again and never walking again" makes it IMO a completely different situation for you than mine was. My surgeon operated on me the same night I broke the ankle, at the end of the regularly scheduled operations that day, because he said that would give me the best chance for a good outcome. Your initial bone damage could also be a lot worse than mine was, plus you've re-broken it making it harder to start the healing process again.

If I were you I would take it seriously and keep my nic use as low as I possibly could. I think the initial healing stage is the most important, but that's just my opinion. Try zero nic and see how that goes for a couple of days. You can always vape a bit of 3 mg if you really need it. You might also find you don't need it because it's no more difficult vaping zero nic than vaping 3 mg. The thought of the ankle not healing properly should give you motivation too.

Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes :thumb:

Last edited:

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Damn, thought someone made a broken bone mech mod, how disappointing. :D

Well, hmm, if they have to amputate, would definitely ask for the shin bone, the, shin bone connected to the 510, the 510 connected to the Vaping end, the switch is connected to the other end, press it and do the shin vaping blitz.!!! or something like that.!!!

umm, what was the question??? :lol:

Vape long and Prosper.!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread