Evolv-ing Thread

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Is AM stereo still a thing?
I don't think so. I don't think I ever owned a stereo AM radio. That came shortly after the quad receiver craze. Although I still do own a quad. Late 70's quad was in and so was the elcassette. The elcassette was part cassette and part reel-to-reel. Although both of them flopped (too costly). Quad was great, quad vinyl, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, and even quad FM stations. And believe it or not, quad headphones sounded amazing. You could hear in 360°. They used two stereo 1/4" plugs too. :D

I guess quad made a comeback. As nowadays it is called surround sound.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Beats me. I never bought into it, who wants to hear lightning crashes in stereo?
I used to play them for a Haunted House scene........
Had photography flash bulbs synthesized to the stereo lightening strike, from right to left etc.
It wasnt a successful Halloween unless I had at least one kid who would NOT take candy from me.
The lightening was timed to light up Frank....

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

I had so many kids come through that the cops had to come and direct traffic.
And YES, there was always at least one where Moma had to come get the candy.......

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Well I confess, I do put this on sometimes to sleep by.

Today we just say:

Hey Google, play
  • Relaxing sounds
  • Nature sounds
  • Water sounds
  • Running water sounds
  • Outdoor sounds
  • Babbling brook sounds
  • Oscillating fan sounds
  • Fireplace sounds
  • Forest sounds
  • Country night sounds
  • Ocean sounds
  • Rain sounds
  • River sounds
  • Thunderstorm sounds
  • White noise
:D

Reactions: dwcraig1

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Here's what my scope display looks like on my Marantz 4400 quad. You can see amplitude, stereo/quad separation, phase, etc. It was also very useful for adjusting FM multipath distortion. Although Mike's pics are far more interesting. ;)

Awesome, gotta love a receiver with a scope built into it.

This video has a better choice of music. ;)

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I used to play them for a Haunted House scene........
Had photography flash bulbs synthesized to the stereo lightening strike, from right to left etc.
It wasnt a successful Halloween unless I had at least one kid who would NOT take candy from me.
The lightening was timed to light up Frank....

DSCN0089.jpg

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN0147.jpg

DSCN0186.jpg

DSCN0164.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0027.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

I had so many kids come through that the cops had to come and direct traffic.
And YES, there was always at least one where Moma had to come get the candy.......

Holy cow Mike! That is so awsum and professional! That must have taken a ton of money, time to design, assemble and set up, I bet you had a ton of kids come to your place!

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Holy cow Mike! That is so awsum and professional! That must have taken a ton of money, time to design, assemble and set up, I bet you had a ton of kids come to your place!
From all over the County.
Kids were lined up the sidewalk, driveway, and out into the street.

These pics arent even a quarter of the displays. Took a lot of time but really wasnt that much money. I waited until after Halloween to buy the good quality masks at 75% off, and the full size figures were simply PVC pipe frames, with Goodwill clothes. Amazing what props you can make with a can of GreatStuff foam and some spray paint.

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
From all over the County.
Kids were lined up the sidewalk, driveway, and out into the street.

These pics arent even a quarter of the displays. Took a lot of time but really wasnt that much money. I waited until after Halloween to buy the good quality masks at 75% off, and the full size figures were simply PVC pipe frames, with Goodwill clothes. Amazing what props you can make with a can of GreatStuff foam and some spray paint.

The best parts Mike are not shown in the pictures, but what it shows me is you kept the spirit of being a kid at heart, don't ever loose that! :) And it shows you enjoyed bringing pleasure to kids, and that is so cool! :thumb:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
The best parts Mike are not shown in the pictures, but what it shows me is you kept the spirit of being a kid at heart, don't ever loose that! :) And it shows you enjoyed bringing pleasure to kids, and that is so cool! :thumb:
Not sure if this will work or not, but try this and let me know if you can see the whole gallery.

Halloween

Users who are viewing this thread