Evolv-ing Thread

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
What can you share about EPT tech Tpat? I don't know anything about it.
EPT = Electrical Ping Timing

It is a method of temperature control that adds data packet pings through the coil in addition to the traditional pulse TCR delta ohms method employed in the majority of devices. Apparently the speed by which a wire can transmit the data packet pings changes very predictably with the temperature of the material in the coil. The timing of the pings is then used to verify the traditional TCR method for a more accurate calibration of operating temperature. It is especially effective on materials like NiCr & Kanthal where the TCR is so low that accurate TCR TC becomes impossible using the traditional method.

This is the method that Hohmtech employs in the FSK chips it uses in the HohmwreckerG2 & Slice mods. Hohmtech actually uses the traditional TCR Resistance Change, EPT, and a Parallel coil mounted on the board itself called the side coil and compares the values from all three in the board to determine coil temperature. I can tell you that it does work with kanthal & nichrome very well & is awesome with claptons & complex coil configurations that dna cannot TC but is entirely too dependent upon the users belief on what they think the temperature of the vape is to calibrate it. Essentially I think Hohmtech did a poor implementation because it is impossible for an inexperienced user to know the actual temperature, but I understand why they did it that way. It is just so counter intuitive to have a mod that can determine the temperature change of a coil so incredibly accurately, yet simultaneously have no Idea if the temperature you have the mod set at is even close to what it is actually operating at other than I think its right. The irony of the concept of the calibration method they employed is absurd but they do work to make it more realistic with each successive firmware update & have made great strides and the newer Auto + TC Kanthal mode now drops you reasonably close on the TC Curve.

I've long hoped Evolv could add the capability to the dna chips in a better implementation than Hohmtech used because I believe a FSK Chip can actually be dangerous in inexperienced hands, and I think Evolv can employ the technology in a much better implementation.

Last edited:

Tpat591

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2014
RB nj
I followed the FSK stuff for a while, but threw in the towel. Why bother with kanthal when other materials are working reliably for me.
I got it to check it out and put to use on the ton of traditional kanthal coils I had laying around that I would otherwise have discarded since I only vape under TC now. I've since discovered it works very well with claptons for a very enjoyable TC vape. Truly wish Evolv had the capabilities, & judging by your response, I'm getting the impression they wont have it anytime soon.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I got it to check it out and put to use the ton of traditional kanthal coils I had laying around that I would otherwise have discarded since I only vape under TC now. I've since discovered it works very will with claptons for a very enjoyable TC vape. Truly wish Evolv had the capabilities, & judging by your response, I'm getting the impression they wont have it anytime soon.
You are reading too much into it.

While I know the FSK stuff works, I just chose not to chase that rabbit myself. I am actually pretty happy with my TI on a DNA200. Enough so that I stashed enough of them to last me for life.

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
Does make you wonder just what Evolv has in the works doesn't it? We really don't need more power. That leaves us with improving the accuracy, GUI/Display improvements, Mac compatibility, cell phone interface, or full on mod manufacturing on a large scale.

I pictured them introducing a miniaturized TC method to incorporate in cigalikes and disposable vape pens as eventually this will be the future of vaping under a highly FDA regulated vaping market where safety improvement & public health actually was a consideration of the FDA since these devices without TC are more dangerous.

I wonder if they will be incorporating EPT technology on the DNA to enable accurate Nichome and Kanthal TC? That would let TC work with any wire including heavy claptons. That is another possibility.
I can't really think of too much more I would like out of a chip to be honest. I would like a small clock and am curious about how well a joystick a la the new yihi chip would work but can't really think off anything else I need. Then again I don't think I ever even considered temp control before Evolv came out with it.
I followed the FSK stuff for a while, but threw in the towel. Why bother with kanthal when other materials are working reliably for me.
I agree. I don't understand why so many get hung up on kanthal tc. So many focus on it but I don't really see the point with so many great options available. I'm very fond of NiFe52 and it works perfectly for my needs. I don't imagine I'd switch back to kanthal even if someone did come out with good tc for it. I don't even use kanthal on my unregulated mods anymore. I switched all those over to SS mostly because I have quite a bit left from when I was trying lots of TC wires, didn't like it in TC and don't want it to go to waste. Still I'll probably stick with it instead of going back to kanthal when I use it all up.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
35a1d2eead05734e9d76a9aa0f9baab0.jpg

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
EPT = Electrical Ping Timing

It is a method of temperature control that adds data packet pings through the coil in addition to the traditional pulse TCR delta ohms method employed in the majority of devices. Apparently the speed by which a wire can transmit the data packet pings changes very predictably with the temperature of the material in the coil. The timing of the pings is then used to verify the traditional TCR method for a more accurate calibration of operating temperature. It is especially effective on materials like NiCr & Kanthal where the TCR is so low that accurate TCR TC becomes impossible using the traditional method.

This is the method that Hohmtech employs in the FSK chips it uses in the HohmwreckerG2 & Slice mods. Hohmtech actually uses the traditional TCR Resistance Change, EPT, and a Parallel coil mounted on the board itself called the side coil and compares the values from all three in the board to determine coil temperature. I can tell you that it does work with kanthal & nichrome very well & is awesome with claptons & complex coil configurations that DNA cannot TC but is entirely too dependent upon the users belief on what they think the temperature of the vape is to calibrate it. Essentially I think Hohmtech did a poor implementation because it is impossible for an inexperienced user to know the actual temperature, but I understand why they did it that way. It is just so counter intuitive to have a mod that can determine the temperature change of a coil so incredibly accurately, yet simultaneously have no Idea if the temperature you have the mod set at is even close to what it is actually operating at other than I think its right. The irony of the concept of the calibration method they employed is absurd but they do work to make it more realistic with each successive firmware update & have made great strides and the newer Auto + TC Kanthal mode now drops you reasonably close on the TC Curve.

I've long hoped Evolv could add the capability to the DNA chips in a better implementation than Hohmtech used because I believe a FSK Chip can actually be dangerous in inexperienced hands, and I think Evolv can employ the technology in a much better implementation.

Thanks Tpat, very interesting. I had an Asolo mod that claimed TC for Kanthal and Nichrome but it had similar issues; relied too much on user input/experience. Sounds like the ohmtech products work better though. The Asolo was intermittent at best during setup and would periodically jump out of TC.
I'm with others here on tc wire; Ti, Nife52 and ss430 work so well I wonder what the attraction is to kanthal and nichrome tc. Even ss316L works fine with clapton and fused clapton coils once a good oxide layer develops on the wire surface.

Thanks again for the info Tpat.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I'm very happy with the DNA series of chips and have no experience with the FSK/EPT chips. I, too, am happy with Ti and SS and they work well, for me, in all my stuff even the non-DNA TC mods I have. If EPT can add a further level of refinement and accuracy I'm all for it. I hope that the rumors of something new from Evolv involve EPT or other method of TC accuracy/refinement rather than just adding more power. I have yet to go over 50 watts on anything other than as an experiment to see if it worked higher. 30-50 watts is fine with me on a TC device, and I think that the vast majority of vapers are probably in that same, basic, power range..

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
OMG!!!

Look what my employer distributed today!
I am fit to be tied....

View attachment 633657

I don't think the surgeon general has made those claims. Heavy Metals and Carcinogens? Just as addictive and harmful as cigs? I don't think so.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
ktr-secondhand.png

It can contain harmful and potentially harmful chemicals, including nicotine; ultrafine particles that can be inhaled deep into the lungs; flavoring such diacetyl, a chemical linked to a serious lung disease; volatile organic compounds such as benzene, which is found in car exhaust; and heavy metals, such as nickel, tin, and lead.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
lol! did you give notice? :?:

:lol:
No, but I challenged him to find where the Surgeon General said that an ecig "is just as deadly" as a normal cigarette. That was after accusing him of spreading misinformation.

Users who are viewing this thread