Feb 23, 2010
q2ykhpx.jpg

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Did you mean to say, "molded"? I don't think what I see in that video can be made as an extrusion.

You know what I mean, molded, extruded, what ever process they use now.
They're sure as heck isn't hundreds of 3D printers going for like 6 hours at a time, printing these mods!

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
You know what I mean, molded, extruded, what ever process they use now.
Both molding and extrusion have been around for a lot longer than 3D printing. The disadvantage is that they require hard tooling, which was dang expensive in the past. The advantage is that they produce parts much far faster than 3D printing.

However technology is making molds and dies cheaper too. If you design the tool using a CAD program and then just dump the file to a CNC machine or even a 3D printer that makes metal parts, you eliminate much of the labor that previously made such tools so expensive.

They're sure as heck isn't hundreds of 3D printers going for like 6 hours at a time, printing these mods!
Agreed, they don't look 3D printed.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
Both molding and extrusion have been around for a lot longer than 3D printing. The disadvantage is that they require hard tooling, which was dang expensive in the past. The advantage is that they produce parts much far faster than 3D printing.

However technology is making molds and dies cheaper too. If you design the tool using a CAD program and then just dump the file to a CNC machine or even a 3D printer that makes metal parts, you eliminate much of the labor that previously made such tools so expensive.

Agreed, they don't look 3D printed.

Nice explanation :)
Injection molding & extruding are similar process, they both involve heated plastic being molded.
Simultaneous or in a mold more conducive for mass production :)
3D printing is more suited to one off designs, boutique applications, more time consuming & expensive.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I had a customer, way, way, back when. They did injection molding and one of their products was, what is now a ubiquitous object, plastic hangers. I remember watching tool and die makers spend weeks polishing, by hand, each side of a four foot square dies that produced eight, I think, hangers. They used polishing compound and toilet paper and when they got done the inner surfaces looked like mirrors. Took them over a month to get them working smoothly enough to begin actual production.

Now I guess there are tons of shortcuts that can be employed to reduce that time to a day or so. Do it somewhere where labor is cheap, and you're golden.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
i got most of the parts for my Shapeways mod build, not waiting for Mod Maker parts i have parts on hand to use, but the problem is my Weller D440 is a bit of a beast trying to make the connections on the board, Im no pro with soldering, waiting for a more suitable iron from Amazon before i mess something up, :vapor:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Speaking of batteries:

Y'all remember the puffy tablet battery I posted about a week ago, right?

Well the replacement came today, and after installing it and declaring the tablet good-to-go, we decided to disassemble the old, puffed up battery to see exactly what was inside, and then to dispose of it as improperly as possible -- all in the name of science, of course!

Anyway, there were two pouch cells inside, wired in parallel. Still at at near full charge, the raw cell voltage measured 4.30V. So we decided, let's try a hard short on one to see what might occur. Here it is, milliseconds after connecting the shorting device (I'm about to back away to a safe distance):

xyVA5kK.jpg

Much like Marvin the Martian, we were hoping for some kind of kaboom, or at least some minor pyrotechnics. We were disappointed. For minutes later, all we had was a significantly more puffy cell that was quite warm:

agQV85r.jpg

After letting it cool just a bit, we decided to stab it with a knife in order to relieve the pressure. That did produce a bit of smoke, but no fire of any kind. Here it is, about to be dropped in a bucket of water:

MbPzHBy.jpg

We also stabed the other one that hadn't been discharged at all. That one produced less smoke. Under water, both bubbled away for a while.

So how to those of you who use LiPos in your DNA mods dispose of your old cells? ;)

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yeah Rossum, unless the lipo can produce high discharge and it isn't at the end of its life cycle, there is often little to no oooh ahhh fanfare. My Alien laptops can eat 200W while running on batteries. But tablets are generally using much lower wattages.

Anyway I put a small load on mine and then drain them down to 0v before proper disposal. That way they have zip for energy stored are completely harmless for anybody handling them after me.

Users who are viewing this thread