for good when he was asked to pick up the habit again for a
film role.

The Scottish actor gave up cigarettes in 2007 and admits he has
often struggled to stay "clean", but it was his role opposite
Hilary S**** in Amelia which really proved he's a determined
ex-smoker.

He says, "It's set in the twenties and thirties and my character
did smoke as many men did then... They gave me tobacco-less
cigarettes. They had no nicotine and no tobacco in them.

"I was rather nervous about it because I wondered if the act of
smoking might bring it (addiction) back."

moonlight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It was probably herbal cigarettes. John Hamm in "Madmen" said that's what they smoke on set (for those that don't know "Madmen" is a series about the Advertising world in the early '60's when everyone smoked...way cool show!)

I tried those in one of my bids to quit smoking. They're tasted and smelled awful and everyone thought I was smoking really crappy weed! lol No tobacco and no nicotine...it was like inhaling campfire smoke!

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There are no-nic cigarettes. Quest sells three levels of nicotine cigarettes, with the lowest being no-nic tobacco -- grown by the Amish since Big Tobacco put out a curse on any tobacco farmer who would dare grow genetically-altered plants that didn't contain nicotine. BT even chased growers of no-nic tobacco out of Argentina and destroyed fields. Only the Amish stood up to BT.

Small personal note: My son is an actor. He never smoked -- until he got a role as a 40s crooner in a stage play. The crooner smoked. I begged said son to use clove or Quest cigarettes, but noooooooo, it had to be authentic. He got hooked at age 38. Two weeks ago, he asked for an e-cig from me so he could quit. His wife said she would not have a child with a smoker. Period. End of argument. If he wanted to be a father, and he does, he'd have to quit. He's been off cigs and on my GreenCig G300 for two weeks now. Likes it. Loves to explain it to co-workers. Yay.

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
It was probably herbal cigarettes. John Hamm in "Madmen" said that's what they smoke on set (for those that don't know "Madmen" is a series about the Advertising world in the early '60's when everyone smoked...way cool show!)

I tried those in one of my bids to quit smoking. They're tasted and smelled awful and everyone thought I was smoking really crappy weed! lol No tobacco and no nicotine...it was like inhaling campfire smoke!

I tried those ages ago and they did smell like weed. They also have tar and other crap in them, so it beat me why they were sold in health food shops...

Nick O'Teen

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Swansea, Wales
www.decadentvapours.com
I noticed that too...how weird. Since when is that a curse word? How funny.

Automated profanity filtering gone mad I'm afraid. It's known as the S****horpe Problem, after an infamous incident with AOL and the residents of S****horpe in Lincolnshire.

EDIT: Well, AOL may have fixed their filters (13 years ago as it happens,) but it's good to see the scope for unintentional hilarity's not dead yet. Any vapers from S****horpe here on the forum BTW? Or Penistone? Or Lightwater?

SECOND EDIT: Oh, and if you want to click on that link (interesting,) you'll have to manually fix it ("S C U N T H O R P E",) since it breaks not only the displayed text, but the embedded URL code as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread