Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I assume it was a disposable, most likely an automatic. Perhaps it was noise activated. We'll never know because the reporters didn't really do much in the way of investigation. They didn't even show the battery that exploded so we really don't even know that it happened at all. I find it interesting that the woman in question called the news station before seeking medical care if she was supposedly injured.

mikkey9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2012
Chesterfield, England
The one shown in the report is a non rechargeable throw away type, (you can clearly see it says non rechargeable on the pack), so one would assume it was fully charged at the time of assembly/manufacture and as li-ion batteries lose charge when stood it seems highly unlikely it was still fully charged by the time it reached her wall-mart. It would be interesting to know if these type of e-cigs have any kind of battery venting?. I find it strange also that in this case it managed to damage 2 items at opposite sides of the room, one high up and one at waist height, Maybe it was sheer luck that saved her from blast and shrapnel damage?

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
Sorry but if the force of the explosion was that great then I would expect her to have physical signs of injury. Clearly that is not the case.

I suspect someone paid her to do a false story to make ecigs look bad.
The payday would be when she gets to sue two huge companies like Wal Mart and Njoy.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Deep pockets lawsuit. People should do a little more study before attempting one.
I agree there will be more of these the more the media pushes stories like this without giving the full story. People using the wrong batteries or making their own mods being passed off as "another e-cig blows up" and mentioning a lawsuit is going to bring people out of the woodwork.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
lol, I see you have selected an appropriate screen name, Bob!

The thing about this story that bothers me the most is how quickly the media jumped on it. I hate the fact that the media is trying to villify something they don't even make an attempt to understand. In doing so, they may be scaring off many people who would benefit from making the switch from smoking. Furthermore, I feel we are in for a stronger push for new laws regulating (or banning) vaping...laws based on misinformation like what is seen in this story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread