Status
Not open for further replies.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Yeah, this seems really fishy to me, too. If it really exploded with that much force (a 15 pound lamp knocked over!!) she should have worse injuries than a ringing ear and tender eye. Where was any evidence of the scorching or burning that happened with the two other known incidents? With that much force there would HAVE to be something burned! Why didn't they show the result of the actual battery that "exploded?" She must have had it still - she hadn't even had enough time to go to the doctor yet.

Other than a knocked over lamp and a fallen decoration across the room (suspiciously still askew) there was no "evidence" shown that what she claimed actually happened. Can I take a picture off the wall and lay a lamp on it's side and claim a buffalo ran through my living room? LOL!

I suspect all of the injury lawyer posts online about the Florida and Colorado incidents are going to bring the scammers out. The Florida case was the most publicized and the device that exploded wasn't disclosed, but the news reports kept showing basic mini e-cigs, which the inexperienced scammers will assume are what exploded.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Why is it the first response you get from vapers is

"this is BS"?
The details are probably exaggerated but I'm sure this type of event would shock most anyone.
The charge on the little mini was maybe at 95%. If it's the disposable "OneJoy" it's activated by removing all the packaging.
Sort of like the 'first puff' failures. I can imagine the end cap and cell ejecting and 'breaking' a 100 pound glass lamp, or the user quickly slinging the e-cig away, knocking all kinds of stuff over trying to get some distance.

If exploding e-cigs, mods, APV always gave several seconds warning, either by getting too hot to hold or hissing, why do folks still get hurt?

Read the (probably exaggerated also) accounts of 'rocket mode' failures. EGo sized e-cigs doing all kinds of damage.
So why isn't it possible that this thing really did explode and scare the bejesus out of the poor lady?

As far as the reporting? The reporter seems to know about as much as some of the posters here.

Last edited:

Suicidebob

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2011
Pasadena, CA
Well, I'm more curious on the fact that we have exploding electronic cigs and NO images... Everything is blown out to seem like they would create a crater or their whole house has blown apart. Everyone here has a brain- we know that isn't possible. But there is a problem, they do have errors, over heat, and they will have failures. It is to be expected.

Hell, there are times when I vape and I look down and see my face being blown off... But that won't happen.

Sometimes I feel as if it's some sort of plot on bringing down e-cigs... Who knows, but everything started out with trial and errors... We are still there. Nothing is perfected.

Rant over... I'm gonna go pick up one of these bad boys.. Take it apart, and try to make this thing trigger and pop. I'll have some video/images up soon.

chinsk

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
At this point I believe its very easy to bring out the "BS" statement. We were provided with the visual of all the supposed damage, but where is the battery? Since this story is clearly edited to include sensationalized soundbites, wouldn't the "exploded" battery be the crown jewel? I am in no way denying that lithium ion batteries can catastrophically fail, however, without any real evidence being presented here as well as what I consider a questionable statement describing to the series of events, I have a very hard time believing it happened how it is being implied. The phone call looked like a dramatic re-enactment, did she wait for the news crew to show up to make that phonecall to NJoy? Really? Perhaps there was good evidence and we are all being fooled by newsroom editing.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Why is it the first response you get from vapers is

"this is BS"?

If it's the disposable "OneJoy" it's activated by removing all the packaging.

I'm not sure why you say it is "activated by removing all the packaging." I just watched 4 reviews of the Njoy OneJoy and not one mentioned it "activating" by opening the packaging. One showed him opening it close up on camera and he just pulled it out and started using it.

Regarding your other comment, I only call BS if I have a reason and here there are several. It's not like there's no reason for doubt:

1) Minis have been on the market worldwide since 2004 and in the U.S. since at least 2006 without any reports of a mini exploding.

2) If an explosion like this happened to most people, they would at least pick up the debris and straighten the lamp soon after. The fact that it was all still in disarray, the broken glass clearly still there and the hanging lamp askew, when the cameras arrived strongly suggests it was staged.

3) No visible injuries to a person who was holding something that exploded with enough force to knock over a very heavy lamp. She clearly implies that she would be dead or in the hospital if it had exploded like that in her mouth, so it had to have pretty been bad. All she got was an invisibly sore eye and ear?

4) No burning or scorching at the scene. This is prime stuff for the news -they love drama and shocking images. If there was more than a knocked over lamp and fallen decoration, they would have gleefully shown it.

5) No pictures of the actual device that exploded (see #4)

6) She called the news before she saw a doctor.

7) Recent reports of exploding e-cigarettes didn't disclose what we have since found out - that they were not mass-produced minis - but many news reports displayed a mini while reporting the story. This would lead someone not completely familiar to the facts to believe that a mini exploding would not be uncommon or was what exploded in the other cases and would be believable when faking an explosion.

It's not a matter of just being defensive, because if the facts added up, then there would be nothing to point out as being suspicious. But a lot of things just don't add up here and it reads like a classic personal injury scam. If I'm wrong, then I'm glad she wasn't hurt and I hope Njoy thoroughly looks into this and takes responsibility for it.

I sent an email to the reporter saying as much, but also asking if she did observe the things that we would have expected to be found at the scene but were curiously missing from the report.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
If this really happened, Walmarts will defer to NJOY who will offer a free replacement, but only if she sends the bad one back.
Anyone up to calling them and see what they will offer if you claim you had one blow up? At least you can trust them to perform an impartial failure analysis when they gets their hands on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread