Extreme Condition Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
Hi all. This isn't your typical, "How do I vape in the cold?" type question. I've successfully vaped at -37F, so I have that figured out.

I pushed my setup this weekend and it brought to light that parts of my lifestyle will challenge vaping without additional preparedness. This was a trial run, of sorts, to see what worked, what didn't...so when I push it further, I know what to expect. We spent about 4 days in the cold Montana wilderness...snowshoeing, x-country skiing, digging the truck out from 36" of snow and so-forth. All cold, all really tough on electronics, particularly vape gear...and the evenings were spent warm, but well away from a power source. I set myself up with 8 fully charged batteries for this trip and wiped 7 of them in 3.5 days...that was a little too close for comfort for me. And this is me only getting started when it comes to outdoor adventures. I sometimes spend a week+ out in the outdoors and I can't see myself hauling, what, almost 25 batteries to make it through? I think I'd use snus instead, since it works, is lightweight and I don't care for them...but want to see if I can figure this out first.

Some questions, formulated as I shoveled several hundred square feet of snow to extract my truck:

• What is the best performing battery you've found? I'm not talking vapor production here, but pure run time. Personally, with the gear I've tried, the eGo-T 1100's seem to do the best I've seen. Even an 18650 won't give me what these little guys do. Just curious if I should field test any other gear.
  • I would like to find a way to charge well away from power & civilization, if possible. Maybe a big battery that I can charge off of, that would give me maybe 10-20 charges and (wishful thinking) hopefully comes in a relatively small, lightweight package. I can't backpack in a car battery, right? I've seen some out there, but they're usually good for 2-3 charges, maybe. Great for a day or two, but nothing longer term. Any suggestions on other things to look at here?
  • Have you found a tried and true method of keeping your gear warm for extended periods of time? It became apparent to me that, at times, I'll need to think about this as my body heat isn't enough to keep everything warm all at once. I've thought about making a small, waterproof/fuzzy case that I can keep my essentials in with a hand warmer packet. Then, I'd obviously need to do this for all the spare gear, which starts to be borderline ridiculous, but I'd do it for those times when I winter camp or overnight on a particularly cold evening. This method would probably do, just curious if any of you have other ideas or suggestions.
  • Do you know of a multi-head charger that could run off a vehicle? I'm thinking like a 4-8 simultaneous charges, if possible, without a surge protector, 8 chargers, etc. It would likely have to be AC due to the power requirements, which is fine for me, but I can't find a nice way to do it cleanly. If I've got to run my truck for 3+ hours out there, if I even have access to it, I want to use that time recharging as many batteries as possible.

Thanks all. I'm sure this topic has limited application for most people, but thought I'd ping ECF for anything I'm not all ready thinking of. Appreciate any insight some of you "extreme vapers" might have to offer.

Last edited:

Benzin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Cancun MX
You know, i have at times asked myself what would i bring if i were to go away from civilization for several days.

Personally i would go for an 18650 mod (say an SVD, provari, etc), with some of those panasonic 3400mah batteries, im pretty sure those last a lot more that any ego batteries.
If you have access to a vehicle where you go (or like you say a large battery), i would also get one of those Passthrough ecigs, you know, the ones that are just a 510/ego connector with a button and an USB wire. They are pretty cheap, some have variable voltage, team one of those with a normal car lighter USB charger, and i guess you could vape of your car (or any 12v battery) for a long time.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT
Ya gotta get AC power in your truck; something like a 400 to 600 watt inverter. That way you can plug in a whole host of devices for charging and even powering, using your truck power. Even a 4-8 bay lithium battery charger!

I have inverters, so AC isn't a problem. (When, say, truck camping or like this trip where the car isn't that far...not an option for backpacking.) Thus my question about a multi-prong charger, where I could charge several at once. If avoidable, I'd rather buy one multi-charger than a half dozen single chargers and have to use a surge protector for all of them at once. Anyone seen anything like that?

Passthrough is nice, and I intend to pick one up soon for on-the-go, but it wouldn't work for my application. That 3400Mah battery is going on the list for testing, though. Thanks for the tip, I didn't realize you could get them that big, I was just using a 2000Mah.

Edit: I'd also be interested if anyone has tried using one of those larger (like 15K+ Mah) battery packs that are used for charging laptops on the go and how many charges one might get from e-cig charging. Many are USB based, maybe I just need to get one in for actual testing, if no one has done it.

Last edited:

8dragon9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
North Charleston, SC
Im personally using a 3400mah on an svd with a pt3, I avg 8.5 to9.5 watts, vaping somewhat constantly at work,and near nonstop once I am home, I charge them dilligantly just because I should however I did run one untill the light blinked red which took me all day sunday (near chain vaping) and halfway through work today...

sent from the s4 of DOOOM

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
Have you found a tried and true method of keeping your gear warm for extended periods of time?

Not personally, but I would think those disposable hand warmers would work. 8-10 hours on a use.

Do you know of a multi-head charger that could run off a vehicle?

A DC inverter should be able to run a charger. This one is 400 watts.

Sorry, but can't help you with the other questions.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
An inverter is an inefficient device. Why go DC>AC>DC, when ya can use a multiport DC>DC adapter?
dontknow.gif

Rosenec

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
Buffalo, NY

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
You are a mans man. I draw the line a 0 degrees. Not sure if this is what you are looking for. 5 Port eGo Battery Charger | Multi eGo Battery Charging Port

Out of stock. And for less than that price you can get the 10 battery charger. I don't think it's a true eGo charger - in other words it's another low current charger - based on the description that it uses extenders/adapters to fit eGo batteries, and the one review that says they charge both 510 and eGo batteries with it.

If anyone wants to see the 10 battery charger Cignot.com carries it.

revco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
Missoula, MT

OMGYES. What is that thing? Have you used it? Know anyone? Reliability? Interesting, might have to get one of those in.

Edit: Not for e-cigs, not going to maintain a 3+ hour fire to charge 1 e-cig. That's a 12 hour fire to charge 4. Hahaha. Sweet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread