Status
Not open for further replies.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i just recieved one of my fc2000 wicks today(ordered 2 sizes, only recieved the smaller one), the 3/32 only fits my aga-t, and its even kind of small for that. the other size is 1/8, and that is to big for the aga, but will fit my dids and ac-9. was hoping for the larger one so i could try on the ac-9. i did the per instruction recommendations before wrapping a coil. being that the 3/32 wick is very small, i figured that it may perform better with 32g (yes i said 32g). reccomendations were to slowly break in wick, for a long period, before getting to crazy with hi wattages. from what i have read and heard with these wicks is that they take alot of time to break in , so i didnt expect anything good initially. well they actually work pretty good, i think i am impressed. now if the performance stays like it is now, there is no way i will be using them for sure, they just wouldnt do it for me, but if they do break in, like they say, this could be promising. the coil is 1.6 ohms, and for now can only vape it at 3.8 volt before the wick drys, so at 3.8 it works great and the taste is really good. i will have to see if this is just a load of you know what, or the next thing. i think results would of been better with the 1/8 wick in the ac-9, compared to this tooth pick wick, but suprisingly i am optimistic. i am hoping that this wick in a couple days can keep up with my usual genny set-ups, we will see.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
lol ....HEADLINE: vapdivrr says "may perform better with 32g"...:ohmy:

Ceramic takes a bit to work in. Its different that SS for sure. If its anything like the top fin ceramic, less than 1/8 doesnt cut it for wicking. BTW I found 32g gets a firmer fit and better vapor production vs say..28g.

a little out of context there, but its working non the less. i do think that when i do get the 1/8 wick and it does perform well on the did or ac-9, i would drill out the wick hole on the aga-t to accomadate the 1/8 wick, for 2 reasons, wicking and THICKER WIRE. actually i have been vaping this wick for a couple hours and its definatly getting better, and i must say the 32 is working pretty darn good. at first i couldnt find my 32g, until i remembered it was in the bathroom, i was using it as dental floss for the past 8 months.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
yea...sorry about that. I just know that you are low-ohm lower gauge guy. It just struck me as a bit funny that you were using 32 over 28. So glad to hear FC2000 is working well at 3/32. I am looking forward to trying it out.

its all good, i thought it was funny as well. i just wish i had the 1/8 wick to try. this little one just might be to small. but for now its just a warm up. i should be getting the larger ones soon. but still after a few hours it has been drying out at around 3.8 ish volts.

meatsneakers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
NYC
I bought the 1/8" and 3/32" fc2000 and have been playing with them for the past few days.

The 1/8" wicks well in all positions. The 3/32" works well as long as it's horizontal - no crazy tilting but it doesn't keep up if it's not tilted. Flavor is muted a bit but is very clean. The hardest part is wrapping the coil - the stone grabs onto the wire so it's tough to work it into position close to the stone. I have been wrapping it then pulling gently on the wire while twisting the stone back and forth. It eventually pulls itself into the wick with no gap.

Overall, it's a lot of work for something that vapes a little worse than a proper SS wick and it's very fragile too. Once you figure out the voodoo that is SS mesh, it offers no benefit and costs 20x more per wick. That is my opinion of course :)

edit-
I will say that one benefit that ceramic has over SS is that when the wick gets dry, you just get very little vapor - no hellish throat hit like SS.

Last edited:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
hey vapdivrr! welcomed to 32g land! :)

I just find it way easier to handle than 28, but now I want to grab me some 30g

the only reason i had to use the 32g is for the fact that the wick was so small and the reccomendations for breaking in the ceramic wick. i will never use 32g if not needed, for i find flavor is a little more muted and setting up 32 is imo much harder. i think the reason we get such a difference in opinions on the ease of use for setting up a coil is that most likely 28g might be harder to wrap a flimsier wick then a solid wick. with a solid wick like i use, i find the thicker wire is easier and just holds its shape better. the thinner wire just doesnt like to stay there as much. thicker is better, and i also think the electrons like it better too, they are much happier because of the low resistance of the wire they are going through, they just cruise right through instead of fighting all that resistance. lol.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i agree, it is more costly, and i to, like to make a wick out of ss. but i had to check it out. my feeling of the 3/32 ceramic is thumbs down. will try the 1/8 when they arrive, just to see if they perform better. if the ceramic wick tastes better and performs as good as my current wicks, i probably would change over, just for the flavor . the cost wouldnt be that big of a deal, for a wick would still last a pretty long time.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I bought the 1/8" and 3/32" fc2000 and have been playing with them for the past few days.

The 1/8" wicks well in all positions. The 3/32" works well as long as it's horizontal - no crazy tilting but it doesn't keep up if it's not tilted. Flavor is muted a bit but is very clean. The hardest part is wrapping the coil - the stone grabs onto the wire so it's tough to work it into position close to the stone. I have been wrapping it then pulling gently on the wire while twisting the stone back and forth. It eventually pulls itself into the wick with no gap.

Overall, it's a lot of work for something that vapes a little worse than a proper SS wick and it's very fragile too. Once you figure out the voodoo that is SS mesh, it offers no benefit and costs 20x more per wick. That is my opinion of course :)

edit-
I will say that one benefit that ceramic has over SS is that when the wick gets dry, you just get very little vapor - no hellish throat hit like SS.

i really didnt have any issues in wrapping the wick. i found it quite fast actually, just wrapped the wick, then inserted. i personally didnt find it much work at all, especially the fact there is no oxidation to do. the worst part is just knowing how brittle they are, one false move and pow, its gone. i hope the results for the 1/8 wicks will be better, but if not, no big deal for ss mesh is great imo.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
the only reason i had to use the 32g is for the fact that the wick was so small and the reccomendations for breaking in the ceramic wick. i will never use 32g if not needed, for i find flavor is a little more muted and setting up 32 is imo much harder. i think the reason we get such a difference in opinions on the ease of use for setting up a coil is that most likely 28g might be harder to wrap a flimsier wick then a solid wick. with a solid wick like i use, i find the thicker wire is easier and just holds its shape better. the thinner wire just doesnt like to stay there as much. thicker is better, and i also think the electrons like it better too, they are much happier because of the low resistance of the wire they are going through, they just cruise right through instead of fighting all that resistance. lol.

you mentioned your flavor is muted, how many wraps are you using with your 32g? btw, I just wrapped a 6 wrap 28g coil on a 7/64" drill bit (2mm) and i'm actually seeing less flavor than on my normal 3 wrap of 32g. it maybe the technique we each use maybe?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Interesting post! Can you tell us from whom did you purchase the ceramic rods?

I presume that wicking would be better with higher porosity but the fragility would be even worse. Also, did you do anything to clean the ceramics before use (washing, soaking, flaming, torching, etc)?

i just posted my updated findings of the fc2000 wick on the other thread about alternative wicks, check it out.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
you mentioned your flavor is muted, how many wraps are you using with your 32g? btw, I just wrapped a 6 wrap 28g coil on a 7/64" drill bit (2mm) and i'm actually seeing less flavor than on my normal 3 wrap of 32g. it maybe the technique we each use maybe?

i used to use 32g when i first started with gennys but just for a week or so until i tried a low resistant set-up. i never went back, its been maybe 8 months since i have used 32g wire, except the other day when trying out the ceramic wick. i did this per instructions for a break in period for the wick. for one you cannot really use 32g wire on a low resistant set-up, and imo 32g just doesnt have the flavor of a thicker wire. i just like everything better in a low res set-up, thicker, fuller, warmer and tastier vapor, you just cannot get those results as good with a thinner wire and higher resistance. i really feel the agony of the electrons as they travel through a little thin wire, with so little space in the wire there is resistance for them, there is high resistance. i think they are much happier in a big wire with hardly no resistance, and i can tell by the performance. thats just my opinion, i mean 32g is an awesome vape as well, any vape from a genny is awesome, its just not quite as good.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i had made a thread a few days ago on the fc2000 porous ceramic wick that i just recieved. although i only recieved the tiny 3/32 and not the prefered 1/8 wick, i was not to optimistic. set it up in the aga-t with the provari v-2. as noted per instructions, i started out very conservative with 32g and a 1.6 ohm coil. i was told that these wicks take a couple of days to break in. i was immediatly impressed with the flavor, but knew that the performance would take some time. initially i could not vape over 3.8v without the wick drying out. i kept at it the next day but only on & off through out the day, mainly vaping my other set-up. today it started to really perform well, i was able to up the volts to 4.2 with no issues, so i decided to take off the dental floss and put some real wire on it. i did a 4/5 wrap of 30g @ 1.1 to 1.2 ohms and this wick is freaking rocking! before seeing this new thread i was going to update the older thread to post results. it did take it 3 days to get going, but like i said it was on & off. i suppose if you vaped the initial set up consistantly the wick would break in after a couple hours. now these results are for a tooth pick wick, i mean this is a tiny wick, i see the 1/8 wick even performing better. i have yet to do my normal 28g, for i think the wick is just to small, but i will try, it may take 7 wraps for the provari. i also have yet to try some sub 1 ohm coils either. but this wick is really wicking well, just as well as my ss mesh, and the flavor is just as good , maybe even better. this is far exceeding my expectations, and believe the wick is still not broken in 100 percent. the wick was a breeze to wrap, i mean it took me 30 seconds at most to install. i do believe i am done with mesh, unless something dramatically happens to ceramic, (like it lasting only a week or something silly like that) . maybe i am just so over joyed right now i am missing something, but this set-up i have going right now is sweet, like i said 30g/1.1ish/ 3.8v, its really nice. for any others that have actually tried the fc2000 wick, let me know of your results.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Interesting post! Can you tell us from whom did you purchase the ceramic rods?

I presume that wicking would be better with higher porosity but the fragility would be even worse. Also, did you do anything to clean the ceramics before use (washing, soaking, flaming, torching, etc)?

i purchased them from discount vapers, also S&S mods carrys them as well(although both are out of stock last time i checked) yes they look and are fragile, although i had no issues with the wrap. they have 2 sizes,3/32 and 1/8. you definatly have to be gentle with them especially the smaller 3/32 wick. the 3/32 fits the aga t atty(although it seems to small) but the 1/8 is to big for the aga-t. i have some 1/8 wicks coming for my DID & ac-9. i am really liking these wicks, but there are pros & cons to everything i suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread