FDA scares and the future of our flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
It won't fade away but parts of it could be going underground if it comes to the worst. Flavors will always be there but potentially not in vape shops or labeled as "ecig flavor". No harm in learning how to mix juice, it isn't that hard and in the case you can only buy goat's armpit and menthol flavored juice you'd still have options.

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
Personally, I think its a good time to start DIY. It's good to know how even if flavors are not banned.
It just seems like too much work for the lazy among us those (...me specifically) trying figuring out Sterling times and how to get everything perfect haha

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It just seems like too much work for the lazy among us those (...me specifically) trying figuring out Sterling times and how to get everything perfect haha

I can do a complete 4/5 flavor mix in about 10 minutes clean up included and I use syringes which takes longer. Three different mixes 30 minutes but when I'm done I have over 600mls of premium juice at my fingertips saving about 70% off store bought liquids.

Recipes are pretty easy to find matching your flavor profile and I'm sure the membership here would toss a couple your way if you let us know what you like in the way of juices.

Once you get past the startup you save a ton of money.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It just seems like too much work for the lazy among us.
If you can bake a cake or some cookies by reading directions, you can make e-liquid. You just need the ingredients, the measuring tools, and some easy recipes and you're good to go. Better to at least know "how to" than to be found empty handed without something to vape should worse come to worse.

Last edited:

Adventurevapes

May 11, 2018
Mississippi
If you can bake a cake or some cookies, you can make e-liquid. You just need the ingredients, the measuring tools, and some easy recipes and you're good to go. Better to know "how to" than to be found empty handed without something to vape should worse come to worse.
I see your point, where would be a good place to begin learning? The internet can be a dark and scary place of information overload!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I see your point, where would be a good place to begin learning? The internet can be a dark and scary place of information overload!
I started here. DIY E-Liquid

There's plenty of information on You Tube, too. Just search for "DIY E-Liquid" on You Tube.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

I also understand there are those who can't even boil water without burning it. Unless someone comes up with a work around it will not be a good time for them.
And it definitely won't be good for the kids the FDA is trying to save who already use wrong flavorings and are willing to eat laundry detergent.

It's not that much work. Unless I'm working on a new recipe I might spend an hour a month. I save up the empty bottles and when I'm running low of a flavor fill them up. If I don't have time making one bottle can buy me another week to find that hour.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon

Too much work? If putting a few ml of flavor into nicotine base is too much work I don't know how you get anything done ;)

If you can bake a cake or some cookies [...]
The way I've always heard it was, "if you can mix a drink, you can mix e-liquid." And it's true. It really is just as easy as, pour some liquids into a vessel and shake or stir. You don't have to be a master flavor wizard who crafts their own recipes. Just like you can look up a recipe for a Bahama Mama cocktail, or Gran's Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies, you can look up e-liquid recipes online and they'll tell you what flavors to use and how much.

I also understand there are those who can't even boil water without burning it.
Heh. "...the kind of guy that could tear up a bowling ball."

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    I have a pretty simple system:
    1. Get a bunch of flavors, 100ml bottles and labels;
    2. Label all the bottles corresponding to the flavors and base I intend to use, also the date of the mixing;
    3. Dump 10ml of flavor into bottle, top off with base;
    4. Put the bottle in a box, repeat until done;
    5. Shake the box every once in a while for a month;
    6. Vape the result, dilute with more base if the flavor is too strong;
    7. Document the results so you can make sure buy your favorites and avoid the duds.
    Tried messing around with multi-flavor recipes, but it didn't work well, likely due to the base I use being 100PG, but there's no reason you can't use a different PG/VG blend with this method.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio

It may sound complicated intimidating, but it’s not. It’s as complex as you make it. If you can make Kraft Mac n cheese, you can make juice.

I felt really intimidated about building. Why would I bother, with coils so easy to buy? Yeah well, I hate it when I can’t find the right coils for my tanks. What if they were discontinued? So I’m learning. Not my favorite pastime, but it’s not as hard as I’d made it out to be. I just think these are helpful skills to have, just in case.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    With all the talk of the FDA banning flavors, would this be a good time to start DIYing it or do you think all of this will fade away?
    There's no time like the present. There's a lot of comfort in knowing you can continue to vape no matter what the nanny state does.

Myk

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 1, 2009
    IL, USA
    There's no time like the present. There's a lot of comfort in knowing you can continue to vape no matter what the nanny state does.

I might have to pack a toaster with cotton but there's no stopping me now.

The thing that worries me is if they stop the vape centric flavorings. The food flavoring companies often have no care to check their flavorings for chemicals we don't want.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    The thing that worries me is if they stop the vape centric flavorings. The food flavoring companies often have no care to check their flavorings for chemicals we don't want.
    The only flavoring company I know of that's done actual research regarding what is and isn't OK to have in "vape centric" flavors is FlavourArt, and they're in Italy, so not under the FDA's jurisdiction. The rest of them will sometimes pull a specific ingredient if there's enough clamor about it, but I don't get the impression that they're being proactive at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread