Proposed FDA Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtayo2

Mar 5, 2015
Central Fl
FDA to Ban Most Flavored E-Cigarettes
Nov. 9, 2018 -- A ban on sales of most flavored electronic cigarettes in retail stores and gas stations across the United States is to be introduced by the Food and Drug Administration, according to media reports.
It's part of the FDA's efforts to reduce teens' use of flavored e-cigarettes.
A senior FDA official said details of the ban would be announced next week, and that menthol and mint flavors would be exempt, The New York Times reported.
The agency will also mandate age-verification measures for online sales to prevent minors from buying the flavor pods.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's a good time to be an ejuice DIYer. Most of the flavors we use are also food and drink flavors, so I don't expect to experience a flavor drought. I have something like 75 flavor bottles in my Harbor Freight small parts box. Push come to shove I'm happy mixing up unflavored pg/vg/nic. I do that every day. Sometimes, I add a squirt of mixed flavor to a tank of unflavored for accent.

Last edited:

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
The FDA ban will take electronic cigarettes out of convenience stores and gas stations unless the store/station keeps the e-cigs in an area that's not accessible to minors. Now, most 7-11s and Speedways aren't gonna do THAT, so minors will only be able to buy (from a brick/mortar standpoint) from vape shops. Most vape shops won't even allow minors through the door, much less be willing to sell them anything. Gas stations and convenience stores are a lot more casual...if you've got the money, they'll fork over what ever you want.

Call me crazy, but I think this was a reasonable amount of regulation. They didn't mess with our open tanks (they just went after the pods) and the new regs only ban flavors in the convenience stores and gas stations. You can still purchase pods in vape shops.

I don't care either way about pods...I'm a die-hard single coil rebuild kinda girl. But for those who are over 21 and DO enjoy the pods, they'll just have to buy them in vape shops. Not exactly the Vapegeddon we've all been frettin' over...

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Not exactly the Vapegeddon we've all been frettin' over...
    Not yet, however the requirement for ALL vape products, to have an approved PMTA requirement by 2022 to be sold, is still on the table.
    Several congressmen are already pushing the FDA to go back to the 2018 deadline.
    If they decide to ban all flavors, or ban online sales, the industry will dry up.
    Gottlieb stated if this plan doesn't cause a reduction in youth vaping (I doubt it will) he will implement further restrictions.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ... Not exactly the Vapegeddon we've all been frettin' over...

In and of itself, it Isn't the "Vapegeddon".

But let me ask you something. Do you think this action by the FDA is going to Significantly Reduce underage e-Cigarette use?

And if it Isn't, what would be the Next Level(s) of Restrictions the FDA would Enact?

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I gotta say, it's been a long time since I've seen the amount of hatred the government can lobby against ONE company in particular. It's EVERYWHERE now, that vaping and even "juuling" in particular can kill you. There are a ton of entries on the dangers of the Juul on the CDC website.

The government is not taking this vaping thing WELL at all. It's like a giant tantrum from your toddler, only your darn TODDLER is armed with ALL The MONEY and has access to the nuclear codes.

It's sort of epic, in its own sad, sad way.
    a
    I work at a federally funded healthcare center now. There are check boxes for "vaped while pregnant" and "exposed to second hand vape."

Like, this makes me think this has ALL been going on for quite some time now. Quietly. Like how your toddler is QUIETLY dismantling your dining room furniture using the electric screwdriver he found, and how large a FIT he is going to pitch upon your discovery and removal of the electric screwdriver.

I have to jest. It is how I cope.

Anna

Anna

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Call me crazy, but I think this was a reasonable amount of regulation. They didn't mess with our open tanks (they just went after the pods) and the new regs only ban flavors in the convenience stores and gas stations. You can still purchase pods in vape shops.
    Ah... but the big secret is that the FDA is using kids as an excuse to get vaping totally banned. Even the CDC has reported that teen vaping has dropped the last few years. But the FDA, doesn't care about the facts, it isn't the kids they are after anyway. They will chip away at adult vaping and continue to use the excuse it's for the kids. And they won't stop until adults also has no access to purchase vaping products. :(

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Ah... but the big secret is that the FDA is using kids as an excuse to get vaping totally banned. Even the CDC has reported that teen vaping has dropped the last few years. But the FDA, doesn't care about the facts, it isn't the kids they are after anyway. They will chip away at adult vaping and continue to use the excuse it's for the kids. And they won't stop until adults also has no access to purchase vaping products. :(
    I've been reading vape news since I switched to vaping 4 years ago. It was obvious back then that the public health crowd want ecigs banned while cigarettes remain for sale the same as always and that's the direction things are going. Gottlieb claims he's relying on science to conclude kids are in danger. He promised the rest of us would get to see that science in November. Does anyone know if it's available. I bet it's a hoax. Remember the flavor scare and the popcorn lung scare and the formaldahyde scare. Now it's the kids scare and it's just as fake as all the other scares.

Here is what could happen. Removing ecig products from 100,000 gas stations and convenience stores garrantees the untimely deaths of many 10's of thousands of smokers who didn't switch because the products weren't conveniently located. This won't do enough to shield the kids so online sales are banned. Then the States ban flavors, which shuts down all the vape speciality shops.

Trump is a saint compared to these people.

mikeyb149

Dec 14, 2018
    I dont get this. As a brit, our government is actively encouraging smokers to vape to the point that vapes will be available on our NHS as a cessation tool. How is the US so opposite to our position. I have read lots of things like this recently in the US.

I dont think anybody is trying to claim vaping to be 100% guaranteed safe but they are considerably better than the alternative.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    I dont get this. As a brit, our government is actively encouraging smokers to vape to the point that vapes will be available on our NHS as a cessation tool. How is the US so opposite to our position. I have read lots of things like this recently in the US.

I dont think anybody is trying to claim vaping to be 100% guaranteed safe but they are considerably better than the alternative.

Because Big Business (such as BT and BP) has far far too much influence over legislation here..

Our politicians go into office upper middle class Americans in largest part, and leave office multi millionaires..

How do you suppose they do that on 100 grand or so a year?

Yeah... BB has far too much sway over legislation, and some of the worst seems to be the pharmaceutical lobby and big tobacco both of whom rely on smokers who never actually succeed in quitting.

mikeyb149

Dec 14, 2018
    i think its all about the money they will lose,not about the health of the citizens?

That to me is absurdity. I understand that greed is a powerful motivator but surely an elected representatives primary responsibility is to the well being of his/her constituants.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    i think its all about the money they will lose,not about the health of the citizens?

m46aFFt.png

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    That to me is absurdity. I understand that greed is a powerful motivator but surely an elected representatives primary responsibility is to the well being of his/her constituants.

In theory, absolutely. In reality, not so much.

Absurdity and greed pretty much sums it up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread