FDA Update: It's not black and white

What do you think about the likley regulations?

• Good for vapers, good for the industry

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Bad for vapers, good for the industry

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Bad for everyone

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Who's the FDA? : )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
I know what you're saying, zoiDman, and I don't disagree with you. Do I think the ban will significantly reduce underage e-cig use? No. Here's why, to quote from a previous blog post we wrote on this topic:

"There’s another issue with the FDA’s stance toward retailers. A 2014 survey conducted by the FDA itself called the Population Assessment of tobacco and Health (PATH) survey found that out of 770,000 teen e-cigarette users, only 9.9% had bought their own devices. The rest obtained theirs from friends, family and, ahem, 'other means,' a category which we suspect could mean taking advantage of a five finger discount. As one professor pointed out, the fact that 'over 90% of teens obtained e-cigarettes from social sources, such as friends or family,'makes going after e-cigarette retailers pretty much illogical."

I also think it is important that, especially if vape shops gain business because of this regulation, they step up and support places like SFATA and other advocacy groups. We're long time supporters and SFATA's #1 complaint when we've asked them about the industry is that not enough small businesses and vape shops put their money where their mouths are and support their efforts to protect the vaping industry and vaping by extension.

So I don't disagree with your position, I'm just pointing out a possible silver lining and the fact, as I said, that it could have been worse.

Reactions: stols001

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I know what you're saying, zoiDman, and I don't disagree with you. Do I think the ban will significantly reduce underage e-cig use? No. Here's why, to quote from a previous blog post we wrote on this topic:

That 9.9% Naked Statistic (be it an accurate reflection of the True Population or not) should be what Scares people. Especially anyone who is trying to put Profit on their Schedule C from e-Cigarette sales.

Because what it Should tell them is that the FDA can Ban Flavored Pods Systems in C-Stores. But that Won't help. So the FDA is going to have to take a More Drastic measure.

And there just Aren't too many More Option left with the Exception of a Ban ALL Flavors except the ones you mentioned earlier. Or Banning All Non Face to Face Sales. Or Both at the same time.

So I guess if I one wants to just look at what the FDA is going to do thinking that Nothing more is going to happen, then yeah, I guess I could marginalize it and see the Glass as Half Full.

Annette Rogers

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
California USA
www.kaisvirginvapor.com
My purpose with this post, zioDman, was to bring up an alternative view point to the way most people were seeing this move by the FDA. I am not trying to marginalize your point of view, merely to generate a thoughtful debate. No one knows what the future will hold, I will continue to hope for the best. But I understand that other people see it differently and I respect that point of view as well.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I am not trying to marginalize your point of view, merely to generate a thoughtful debate. ...

Never thought you were.

JTBC. My use of the word Marginalize was implied to the Actions of the FDA. Not towards what an Individual or what I thought was happening to My Views.

:)

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
I don't trust the FDA. I think this is a prelude to bigger actions. Let the dust settle and then on to something just a bit bigger, death by inches.

I doubt many serious vapers have bought vape related product form a gas station. I suspect there is a bit of a collective attitude "doesn't affect me, no need to raise our voices.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Martin Niemöller

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm done speculating with the FDA/Government. Life has gotten too complicated and well, the FDA has been doing WAY too much back and forthing for my taste. This may or may not be "terrible" or "not terrible" but either way, I KNOW it's just a prelude for whatever comes NEXT.

Usually unpleasant. I have prepared for the worst an am hoping for the best. That's about all I can do at this point.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread