Feel weird vaping in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLabelDon

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2011
Los Angeles
Hey Everyone it is about my second week vaping and im in love. My only thing is i vape in the library at the regular smoking spots on campus, but still feel weird smoking when walking to class. I know i shouldnt but i just feel like everyone is wondering wtf I'm doing anyone go through the same thing and any tips, I never had this issue with analogs obviously?

JOYE 510

purplefowler

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
UK
The more you do it, the better it feels. The more confident you are about it, the less people seem to pay attention too. I vape all round town and at first I was worried people would think I was doing something illegal so I tried to be discreet and it just looked suspicious so now I just get in with it and nobody seems to really notice that much.

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Yeah, a lot of us were a little gunshy about vaping in public. I still am to a certain degree but I still do it regardless of what I'm puffing on at the time. It does look odd, especially if you're vaping something that looks a lot less like a cigarette, so that can make you self-conscious, but you get used to it. :)

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
Don't worry, you'll get more comfortable as times go on. What will happen is more and more people will ask you your secret -- so carry ECF cards!!!!:thumb:

If I can walk around my country bumpkin town sucking on my 6 inch phallus and the only question I get now is 'Where can I get one?', I know you'll be cool, too.:)

ricksinvest

Aug 29, 2011
Houston, TX
Don't worry, you'll get more comfortable as times go on. What will happen is more and more people will ask you your secret -- so carry ECF cards!!!!:thumb:

If I can walk around my country bumpkin town sucking on my 6 inch phallus and the only question I get now is 'Where can I get one?', I know you'll be cool, too.:)

Never heard this described as a "6 inch phallus" ... but hey whatever works!!! :)

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Ask yoursel-
1-"Am I doing something wrong?"
2-"Do I have a reasonable explanation for what I'm doing?"
3-"Do I have anything to be worried about?"
Carry on with confidence.

I vape like I dare someone to confront me or as if it's the normal thing to do. I get some looks of inquisition and interest, but rarely am confronted. I have had people ask if it's what they think it is, to which I reply, "Yes."

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I only vape where smoking is allowed or where I have been told I can or where I can't be seen (like bathroom stalls in no-smoking buildings, stealthily). I don't like confrontation.

My first ecig had one white battery w/ red led and one black w/ blue led. I actually felt more weird vaping in public with the white one that looked like a cigarette - I felt like the scummy smoker I used to be. I felt more comfortable with the black + blue led battery. I am very shy in person (hard to believe) and I was afraid people would come up to me and ask about it, but so far they have not. If I am near a smoker they might ask "Is that one of those things?" and I will tell them about it.

I've only been vaping consistently for less than 3 weeks, so I'm still sorting out how I feel vaping in public. I think it's a learning process - we all have different comfort levels about it. So far I've vaped in places that allow smoking, but the only non-smoking place I've vaped was a hotel room where no one saw me any way. Tonight I'm going to a non-smoking bar, and I've already contacted them and got the okay, but it really depends on how it goes while I'm there.

Someone already mentioned carrying ECF business cards - I will be toting some of those as well as some information sheets for anyone who is interested. As Dougiestyle said, it's also good to ask yourself some questions to cement your own feelings in your mind. That way, when people ask, you have answers that pertain to you, not just info recited from elsewhere. I think that's important because YOU are the only one that can say why you vape, what you get from it, and what you hope to get from it going forward. One of the biggest disconnects I'm finding as I talk to others is the WHY - they don't understand why we vape.

Good luck, and don't feel like you have to take on the world. If you aren't comfortable with confrontation, then don't force yourself. I'm very anti-confrontational myself, so I quietly look for opportunities to share info but I don't put myself out there where I'm going to get swooped in on. BUT, I also don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong so I'm not exactly hiding either. There's a "happy medium" for each of us. You just have to find yours.

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
I recently got a nice leather holster to hold my ProVari (after I put it down somewhere in a store and didn't get it back for a few days) and I miss walking in somewhere and sitting it on the counter and answering the inevitable "What is that?" I've passed on vaping information to dozens with that question as the opener, because there's almost always a wanna-be-ex-smoker somewhere around who lights up when they hear there's a real alternative to cigarettes.

976vapoman

Unregistered Supplier
Sep 8, 2011
USA
I have been vaping for a couple of years and it still is wierd at times. When I'm around people I know and who know what it is it's no problem. I vape a big battery mod so it stands out big time. Plus if I go to a bar I will often get the "hey you can't smoke in here". Although once I explain what it is they have always told me to go for it. Once in a while I get a snob who looks at me like I'm a ....... but more often than not it's just a great conversation starter.

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
i vape pretty much where i want to and when i want to but dont get stupid with it either. for instance.. i work at an elementary school so i dont vape in front of the kids for sure. there are places i can go to grab a few drags and chill a bit. out and about in town while shopping i vape when i feel the need and have never been confronted about it but have had some questions from people wanting to quit smoking analogs.

John Wayne

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2011
NC
Hey Everyone it is about my second week vaping and im in love. My only thing is i vape in the library at the regular smoking spots on campus, but still feel weird smoking when walking to class. I know i shouldnt but i just feel like everyone is wondering wtf I'm doing anyone go through the same thing and any tips, I never had this issue with analogs obviously?

JOYE 510

Honestly, a bunch of students trying to get to class just like you probably don't notice/care. No need to be shy with it.

potholerepairman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2009

JOYE 510

First time bringing a pv to a bar to vape I burned my thigh with the button on because of trying to conceal it till a beverage was ordered(I only vape while drinking).Its very odd in the beginning to vape instead of smoking.The day that it became a great thing to bring out in public was when I knew exactly how to use it and it was a better product than a cig, it was over (no more worrying).People will forever look at you oddly but it doesnt mean they do not just want a better way to get nic or just smoke cancer free.I hang in some places that are not fern bars and most people like the reply that I am just getting my nic a different way.The start of something new will bring thoughts of , what the heck do I look like? dont worry, anyone smoking cigs knows they look odd too.Congrats and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread