Fido Jars....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serianna

ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2012
San Diego
I have a very large quantity of antique fido jars . I also have a large supply of the gaskets needed to seal said jars... Now, link above is for what a fido jar is (for those who don't know,) but mine are colored glass, blues and greens mostly.

Has anyone ever stored large quantity's of base liquid in one of these jars? I plan on making up a large batch of 12 mg liquid, 70/30 pg/vg (no flavorings, I will add flavorings as I mix up 5 and 10 ml bottles for use) and I just can't afford a container to store the mixture in, as I wont be using up all the PG or VG that I have bottles of (not enough nic liquid), so using those bottles is out.

I guess my concerns are

1, will the colored glass react with the base liquid?

2, I know the seals are good enough to keep food from spoiling without pressure canning them with refrigeration, but does anyone know if the seals are good enough to prevent oxidation of the base liquid or any other changes that I have read about happening with the liquids exposed to air / humidity for long periods of time?

This is my first mixing attempt, I have been gathering the supplies as I could afford them for months now... and this one storage barrier is whats keeping me from being able to do my first mix.

Any help is greatly appreciated by the way!

Seri~

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Just using common sense with what experience and knowledge I have...

1. No, since they're good enough for food.
2. Yes, since they're good enough for food. Just provide minimum 'head space'.

Have fun!
thumbsup.gif

minitater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
tennessee
www.minitater.com
I don't think glass will react to anything except Hydrofluoric acid, hot sodium hydroxide and fluorine. You are safe there. However, even with a full jar of juice it seems there might be a large air gap between the seal and the top especially if they are domed. This may allow enough air to seal inside the jar to cause some changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread