Filling blank MaxxFusion Cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
I just got my order of these in to try out, I noticed that the coil on these is not typical of other similar cartos, but it appears to be possible to condom fill these just by looking at them.

I've just drip-filled the first to test it out, but does anyone know if there are any problems with filling these using the more efficient condom fill method?

namuch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2009
Surprise,Az
Condom filling actually works perfectly on these, I just made sure to clear the center tube, and all was good.

I prefer condom filling simply because it is way faster, and if you use a small plug in the center tube, you get almost perfect filler penetration with your liquid.

Dripping to fill does work better on these than any other I've seen, but when I refill a bunch at home, using the condom fill wins hands down every time. I can fill about 20 in 10 minutes or less this way...

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
All the usual refilling methods work well with MaxxFusion cartomizers, but when using the condom method, I think it pretty much has o be from the mouthpiece end, and with any of them it seems to be extra important to make sure the coil isn't oversaturated by using the plug in the batttery end, blowing the airtube clear after, and it's best to let them sit for a few minutes afterwards.

And the easiest refill method is the easy refill tip. Yes, as you've noted the funnel in the tip is to help guide the liquid inside, but there's also an inverted funnel inside, which guides the liquid down the sides, instead of letting it drip straight down the airtube. But, I only reccomend using that for topping off on the go, because you're doing it blind so it's prone to overfilling. Use it to add a few drops here and there, but I don't suggest using to refill a dry cart or filling empties. And when using it, ALWAYS remove the carto from the battery. ;)

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I'm having trouble clearing the center tube:( It looks like the atty coil is wrapped and lays horizontally right at the battery end, so there is very little daylight to be seen, when holding the carto up to your eye. What is the best way to clear the hole, if obscured, without damaging the atty coil? I can't seem to get a paper clip to fit up the battery end, like I can with the cartos I'm used to using (V4L) and fear I may have ruined my first one!

Update: Just took a flashlight and had a good look inside the carto in question. What I saw was black gunky build-up on the atty coil. I looked at it when it was new and it was white with wire wrapped around it. I JUST started using this carto, so I'm very confused as to why it looks this way. I was careful not to vape it dry, the couple times I used it and got no burnt taste whatsoever. I'm goin to try boiling it to see if any of that stuff will come off.

Last edited:

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
MsOcean,

I just blow through them until nothing comes out, then let them set. It's usually not too much. I mean, not so hard that you blow the liquid out of the filler, of course. ;)

As for the gunk, it sounds like you're overfilling a bit, and not clearing the airtube before vaping. Some liquids have componants in the flavorings which can carmalize and foul the atomizer. This can build up, especially if you do it repeatedly.

trichman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
USA
I got my order of blanks and filled some using condom. I first put in 20 drops, did a spin and loaded 10 more. No juice came out the battery end. I let them sit for an hour. The first one tasted burnt on the first draw and stayed that way so I tossed it. The second one started tasting burnt after a few draws. They had different juices in each one. I never experienced this with wow cartos.

Any ideas why this happening? I filled them exactly the same way I did with the wow cartos. The only difference is that the MF carto took the juice without bubbling up at the battery end. I am hoping there is a solution as I got 50 blanks.

Lastone

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2010
Massachusetts, USA
I got my order of blanks and filled some using condom. I first put in 20 drops, did a spin and loaded 10 more. No juice came out the battery end. I let them sit for an hour. The first one tasted burnt on the first draw and stayed that way so I tossed it. The second one started tasting burnt after a few draws. They had different juices in each one. I never experienced this with wow cartos.

Any ideas why this happening? I filled them exactly the same way I did with the wow cartos. The only difference is that the MF carto took the juice without bubbling up at the battery end. I am hoping there is a solution as I got 50 blanks.

I had the exact same problem. Try letting the carto sit with the battery end up so that no juice is settled around the coil.

Let us know how it turns out. For now a am using prefilled and toping off without any problems. However I did get the burnt taste when the blanks and when I overfilled (toped off) prefilled ones.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
MsOcean,
As for the gunk, it sounds like you're overfilling a bit, and not clearing the airtube before vaping. Some liquids have componants in the flavorings which can carmalize and foul the atomizer. This can build up, especially if you do it repeatedly.

Hmmm..overfilling? Well, I was able to get about 45 drops in using drip-taryn spin-drip method until the filler looks slushy, but overly saturated (like I always do with my coolcarts or wow blanks) Do you think that's too much? Also, I was using Tastyfinger from TV in the carto. This all happened on my 3rd time refilling(less than 48hrs use of carto). Is it possible this particular juice caused like an instant carmelization on the atty wire? If so, is there anything I can do to fix the carto or is it pretty much toast? TIA:)

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Those ones may have been some of the 5-10% with too low resistance. I'm addressing that, to give us a neatly defined range with no bell curve, and also lifting the range a bit, to 2.6-2.8 ohms.

And yes, it may be that some liquids are more susceptable to it than others, as some say they had no problems with one brand, but another brand burnt. Or not, it could just as easily be a perception bias. I'm still waiting on more data.

One thing no one has mentioned that might also be a factor, were you using a fresh battery? The first several puffs on a fresh batt are at 4.2v, until it drops down to a steady 3.7-3.6 for most of its life. 4.2v on a freshly refilled or topped off cart could be more prone to burn the liquid, so maybe don't change batts and refill at the same time? Again, I need more data from you guys to tell.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
And yes, it may be that some liquids are more susceptable to it than others, as some say they had no problems with one brand, but another brand burnt. Or not, it could just as easily be a perception bias. I'm still waiting on more data.

One thing no one has mentioned that might also be a factor, were you using a fresh battery? The first several puffs on a fresh batt are at 4.2v, until it drops down to a steady 3.7-3.6 for most of its life. 4.2v on a freshly refilled or topped off cart could be more prone to burn the liquid, so maybe don't change batts and refill at the same time? Again, I need more data from you guys to tell.

I was using a fresh V4L battery. 1st carto was fine from the first pull. Great flavor and vapor. Tried a new carto today and had a different experience. The taste of the juice was not nearly as good from first pull and quickly degraded into a very bad but not quite burnt taste. I tried topping this one off, using the same battery, which had been in use for 4 hours prior and it still tasted almost burnt. Took it off and looked into it with my flashlight and saw the same black gunky buildup on the atty wire that I did on the first one. Geez, this was a brand new carto! Needless to say, I'm very disappointed:(

trichman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
USA
I have found what I believe is my problem after hours of trying different things to isolate the issue. MF blanks filled with approximately 1ml of juice burn right away on my bloog pt. If I put a new one on my ego, MF, or v4l battery it works fine. Most times, the pt doesn't work at all with a MF carto. If I use a blank wow filled the same way it works on the pt with no burning.

I hope this helps.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
I tried another juice and it works better. If the MF cartos are going to be sensitive to different juices, they may not be right for me. I hope it can be addressed bc I like the vapor production and the tips are great for topping off. I just wish I hadn't bought so many. File under lessons learned.

I agree and have done same. But, this time, I filled one with a fairly clear juice in the hopes of better results. We'll see how that goes tomorrow.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
II ordered a battery and five cartomizers. 3 of the 4 cartomizers have instantly tasted burned. I was going to order a kit, but if this is typical of the cartomizers, I probably will not do that. Did I get a bad batch? If so, I cannot afford to keep taking that chance. I do not like filling my own, yet I have to do that with these. I was able to drip 25 drops after only one puff on a fresh cartomizer. Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread