First month cost analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

WVvet

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
WV
Currently at 580 spent, finding it difficult to stop buying things.

That's more like my numbers the first few months! BUT, I have finally settled into a pattern with my EGO and EMDCC's from madvapes, and somewhat expensive ready made juice (and no more wasting $$ on juices I can't stand - just gave away about 25 samples on ECF to newbs). Currently spending a steady $80 a month, compared to $210 for analogs, so I am quite happy. And one day I plan to get that darn DIY stuff down, which should cut the costs much further.

WVvet

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2011
WV
OP - had to laugh at your first line on spreadsheet - I too started off with a "Worthless Starter Kit" but now that I look back it wasn't really so worthless cause if I hadn't bought it I wouldn't have been able to learn that vaping "could possibly" work for me and I wouldn't have been smoke free for the past nine months. So worthless is relative...

CountSmackula

Genisis Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2012
BFE, KY
One intangible often mentioned as a saving is health, and that's certainly a biggie! But there's another one that's almost always overlooked, and to me it's just about as important as anything else I get from this whole vaping experience: education. I Love To Learn, and since I've been fooling with PVs & visiting this Forum the things I've been learning here really are priceless to me.
<snip>
So for a "break even" point, I ain't looking for one. It's just more fun for me being a player than a scorekeeper, but that's just me.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend, & Happy Vaping! :vapor:
I agree with you wholeheartedly on the LEARNING aspect! I've taken what I know/knew about automotive electronics (admittedly old-school) and been able to expand my knowledge base through what I read here.
As for scorekeeping, that's more for SWMBO than me. :oops: This is the least expensive hobby I've had in years.

jdrewry

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2011
New Jersey
Let's see...

$102 Megalodon
$71 Mako Maxi
$20 Mako Midi sleeve
$20 Mako Minno sleeve
$450 Classifieds - Katana + 18650 + 18350 + mesh + SS Line
$110 Inferno kit + accessories from Volcano
$150 useless Blu starter kit
$120 510 slim + PCC + accessories from PEC
$200 random juice, cartos, tanks, DIY box mods, etc from MadVapes
$100 Line v2
$80 Kick kit from NHaler
$200 juice, Riva DCC loaner kits

Personal Total: $1623

$2016 eGo passthrough + case + Mega DCC to sell locally to friends/family/etc :p

$$$$ - I've lost track of what I've spent on test materials for the device I'm designing.

So yeah, well over $4000 spent in 2 months...most of which will be made back selling the starter kits.

An entrepreneur in the making! Good luck!

Warren D. Lockaby

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2011
South Carolina, USA
OP - had to laugh at your first line on spreadsheet - I too started off with a "Worthless Starter Kit" but now that I look back it wasn't really so worthless cause if I hadn't bought it I wouldn't have been able to learn that vaping "could possibly" work for me and I wouldn't have been smoke free for the past nine months. So worthless is relative...

Precisely so! What we paid for when we bought those "worthless starter kits" was a Priceless Lesson. How might one assign a monetary value to something that is Priceless? OTOH that lesson drops immediately from "Priceless" to "Worthless" only for those who fail to learn it.

IMO simply by virtue of the fact we are all here I'd reckon most of us got our money's worth - no matter what we paid.

Just a thought from my cave. Happy Vaping, Folks! :vapor:

T-Mac

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
S. Carolina, USA
For starters let me say as others any amount I have spent on vaping is worth it by far. Yesterday made my 5th week vaping (without analogs) and have only had 20 analogs in 7 weeks (my liquid got lost in the mail and I relapsed for 1 pack). Now for my total $717.59, that includes S&H and a lot of learning curves, that figure would be higher if ProVape would've had the mini with the BLUE LED today lol. But using ctourtelot's method I still have some more money available to spend. Happy vaping all I'm going to order some more stuff. :D

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
I am approaching 2 months and spent far more than that lol

I alas also have a spreadsheet pretty much identical to the OP. Going to take about 12 weeks to start to break even and that is without Amy further expenditure. Should be ok apart from $20 odd on atty's.

Then it will just be $40 a month. Well until I get a couple of rebuildable atty's then it will just be juice and mods I fancy.

Not looking at this as a short term deal. After a year I will be saving and not smoked. That is a win in my book and to be blunt all that matters.

Filibuster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Tacoma Washington
3 weeks, one day, and $1476 into this venture. Saved about $450 in analogs between me and the wife. Spending should slow down considerably after I get my new Zenesis, and the wife gets her mini Provari. Course then chopper has to powder coat it, and maybe a few more DIY supplies. Hmm this could add up lol

Filibuster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
Tacoma Washington
I thought I had spent a lot !! 24 days and $377 invested and saved only $90 in analogs so far. I have started DIY juices but no MODS yet.

To be fair, I find myself without a hobby for now. My computer is pretty bulletproof for any game I can throw at it for the foreseeable future. I have enough straight razors, DE razors and blades to last the next 5 years. Guess I was needing a new outlet for a hobby. Mostly I'm happy to be off of the analogs, but I sure find vaping enjoyable!

OrthodoxAtheist

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2011
Redlands, CA
While I totally agree with hairball's sentiment... I would say that once you hit your sweet spot and stop looking for things to buy... I now spend no more than $30 a month as opposed to $100 smoking. Some good-priced juice (60ml) and 1-2 cartomizers and I'm set for 30 days. Vaping is pretty much as cheap as you want to make it. :)

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Why does the expense even matter? Do you put a price on your health too? I don't care what I've spent because my health doesn't carry a price tag.

It matters, to me, because of two little words: sin tax. I'm fed up with the entire matter of imposing ever increasing sin taxes on cigarettes, with pols knowing full well they can raise funds for pet projects or general funds by taxing a legally addictive substance. While at the same time blathering the tax will "make" people quit smoking, it's "for the children" and all that jazz. They promise all the tax increase will go to smoking cessation programs and hardly a pittance of the taxes ever does.

You will never hear me say that smoking is a good thing. But the abuse of foisting tax increase upon tax increase on a very difficult to break legally addictive substance is as bad as the addiction itself.

I don't see spending money on e-cigs as some kind of a health benefit. Vaping is better than the alternative, but we are still very far away from being able to claim this is actually a healthy thing to do. I view it as a necessary method to combat an addiction to a product that should have never been marketed to begin with.

Our health already had a price tag on it when we started smoking. It continues to carry a price tag while we are vaping to stay away from smoking. "None of the above" would be the ideal choice. But we all aren't hanging around in this forum because that's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread