First time RDA-No flavor no matter what i do ,help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
Guys i need help i wasted like 6 pre made coils since i buy them and bunch of cottons no matter what i do i cannot get my RDA to give me flavor i ger big clouds but it taste like water almost,
The rda is a Wasp VLS rda soposed to be good.,
Anyway i start with puttin in coils vertically(dualcore) i do power pulses and scrape with screwdrivee till it blows evenely and inside out..
Then i wick it i use japense organic kendo cotton made for vaping ,i tried with alot of wick,then i tried with little wick and no matter what i do its flavorless, the wick is snug its snug that it doesnt pull the coil out of shape but just right.
Also the air holes from the rda cap i align it with the coils,
But yet my wick is entirely wet i even over drip so its leakin and the hits are still flavorless,
Im ahout to give up i rebuild it like 6 times and wasted 6 coils...
Help?

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

The60WattGUY

Feb 7, 2023
So I don't have this RDA but I looked it up. I would try doing another type of build other than dual vert because the airflow looks pretty centered and may not be reaching the coils to produce good flavor in the dual vert configuration.
The holes of the cap are right where the coils are in the instruction booklet it tells u to spin the cap so that its lined up with coils and its very airy
Should i still try diff build?

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I don't have a clue as to which RDA that is and I am too lazy to look it up at the moment LOL.....

With that said, I only have used RDAs that have horizontal coils where the air hits on the sides of the coils and with some RDAs also hits underneath the coils.... I have gotten intense flavor from ANY horizontal configured RDA I have ever used..... I ALWAYS make sure I place my coils as close to the airflow holes as possible.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Considering you wasted 6 pre-made coils, I would suggest you start out with a single horizontal coil. Get that to where it's vaping to your satisfaction and where you are able to repeat that setup with good results each time.

Then move on to horizontal dual coils in your VLS RDA. Once you get those working properly then revisit vertical coils (if you must).

The following photo is from their website. A single vertical coil is positioned properly in their pic. I would try a single vertical coil as shown below. Get that working properly then move on to dual vertical coils.

c65b519047.jpg

The way they are showing dual vertical coils IS all sorts of Wrong. No airflow is hitting the coils. If that is how you installed your coils, it would explain why you are getting no flavor.

Dual vertical coils should be Much More Closely Positioned so the airflow is hitting the coils. You want them to be very close together, nearly touching but Not Touching.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Detailed Coil Specs and Wattage/Airflow settings would be helpful also.

Yeah running at 20 watts and dual coils won't produce much flavor with that atty LOL......

@ShowMeTwice I agree as that would probably be best for a new person until they get used to that atty......... Sounds like the coils are overly saturated/flooded and that is why the vape is so wet tasting.

Mo Flava

May 7, 2022
    The way they are showing dual vertical coils IS all sorts of Wrong. No airflow is hitting the coils. If that is how you installed your coils, it would explain why you are getting no flavor.
    When running dual vert coils in the VLS RDA, the top cap gets rotated 90 degrees so that the air flow holes (in top cap) aim right at the vert coils. When configured this way, the air does not travel through the air holes seen in the deck.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    When running dual vert coils in the VLS RDA, the top cap gets rotated 90 degrees so that the air flow holes (in top cap) aim right at the vert coils. When configured this way, the air does not travel through the air holes seen in the deck.

I would also try horizontal coils in there as you can do either configuration...... I don't know maybe he has ran out of coils by now............

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    I agree, I think a horizontal build would be more suited for the VLS.
    Agree 100%.

Looking at the airflow design, I would do a dual horizontal coil build over a vertical config.

IMHO this RDA screams for horizontal builds, per the design.

b77c16d7e4-1.jpg

4793e6cfd0.jpg

While dual vertical coils certainly are possible, I do not think you are going to get nearly the same flavor as you would with a dual horizontal build.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Agree 100%.

Looking at the airflow design, I would do a dual horizontal coil build over a vertical config.

IMHO this RDA screams for horizontal builds, per the design.

View attachment 991340

View attachment 991341

While dual vertical coils certainly are possible, I do not think you are going to get nearly the same flavor as you would with a dual horizontal build.

Agreed...... Yep, I love my horizontals........... For me the wicking is too strange with verticals..... I have as of yet to come across a horizontal configured RDA that did not produce good flavor. Yes, some are a "tad" bit better than others but generally speaking most RDAs employing horizontal coils have very good flavor.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Also, IMHO, the VLS requires beefy coils. Not basic simple round wire or a basic Clapton. Aliens, Tri-core, Quad-core or better would be best (IMO).

Yeah which also means that you are going to have to put a considerable amount of power to them otherwise you won't get much flavor/vapor.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    the Universe
    Agreed...... Yep, I love my horizontals........... For me the wicking is too strange with verticals..... I have as of yet to come across a horizontal configured RDA that did not produce good flavor. Yes, some are a "tad" bit better than others but generally speaking most RDAs employing horizontal coils have very good flavor.
    I've dabbled with vertical setups in RDAs and RTAs. For me, the flavor just isn't the same as with horizontal coils. Dual or single.

I have a couple Van & Del Soul S RDAs. In one of them I run dual side-by-side coils. Awesome in your face flavor!!!

Not my pics. The two in the lower right show the dual side-by-side coil setup.

Screen shot 2023-02-24 at 10.42.33 AM.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread